If things don't go well tonight....

You need only to remember this.

In the first ever campaign of the Premier League (1992-93), Oldham Athletic earned 49 points from 42 fixtures to stay up by the smallest of margins. With 3 matches remaining, the Latics had attained 40 points and looked doomed, lying second from bottom in the table. For the club to survive relegation, three wins from their final three matches were required, and the Latics had to bank on Crystal Palace gaining no more than one point from their final two matches.  

Oldham's first game of the final trio was away at second placed Aston Villa - a side who had  to win to have any hope of winning that year's title. In a battling display, Latics stalwart  Nick Henry scored the winner midway through the first half, a shock result but one that gave hope to an unlikely escape and clinched the first title for 27 years for Manchester United.    

Three days later Liverpool were beaten 3-2 at Boundary Park, whilst Crystal Palace could only draw at Manchester City. This led to a scenario by which for Oldham to survive, they had to beat fellow strugglers Southampton at home and hope that Crystal Palace were defeated at Arsenal's Highbury ground. Oldham eventually won 4-3 despite ahead 4-1 at one point, whilst Palace lost 2-0 at Arsenal, meaning that the Eagles were demoted on goal difference.

Incredible - I also recall that Matt Le Tissier scored a hat trick for Southampton and still ended up on the losing side! :wink:

In the first ever campaign of the Premier League (1992-93), Oldham Athletic earned 49 points from 42 fixtures to stay up by the smallest of margins. With 3 matches remaining, the Latics had attained 40 points and looked doomed, lying second from bottom in the table. For the club to survive relegation, three wins from their final three matches were required, and the Latics had to bank on Crystal Palace gaining no more than one point from their final two matches.  

Oldham's first game of the final trio was away at second placed Aston Villa - a side who had  to win to have any hope of winning that year's title. In a battling display, Latics stalwart  Nick Henry scored the winner midway through the first half, a shock result but one that gave hope to an unlikely escape and clinched the first title for 27 years for Manchester United.    

Three days later Liverpool were beaten 3-2 at Boundary Park, whilst Crystal Palace could only draw at Manchester City. This led to a scenario by which for Oldham to survive, they had to beat fellow strugglers Southampton at home and hope that Crystal Palace were defeated at Arsenal's Highbury ground. Oldham eventually won 4-3 despite ahead 4-1 at one point, whilst Palace lost 2-0 at Arsenal, meaning that the Eagles were demoted on goal difference.

Incredible - I also recall that Matt Le Tissier scored a hat trick for Southampton and still ended up on the losing side! :wink:

Pedant corner...

3-0. I think their former player Ian Wright bagged a couple as well to add salt to the wound.

Also I thought that Palace didn't play midweek? I thought they played on the Saturday and at the end of the day were 9 points clear with another game to play, whilst we had 3 games starting on the Sunday.

One of our 4 goals was offside against Southampton, and there was a blatant handball (that should have been a penalty against us).

Remember beating Villa to give utd first title for 26 years and thinking we'd still get relegated. How glad I was to be wrong.

:dunce:

If you are going to be a pedant - get your facts right.

They did play Man City and draw midweek (cannot believe I forgot about that) and Wright only bagged one.

Do remember Palace apparently having a 'celebratory staying up party' after they won on the Saturday though - however 8 clear and 2 games to play, and your rivals having to win all 3 including away to 2nd place and home to Liverpool, you can perhaps understand why.

We should not be counting any chickens until its impossible to go down

Wow....people are getting the negatives ready over 2 hours before a kick off....sad!!!

PS I was actually hoping when I clicked to read this it would say "let's not panic, we've done well to get in a good position and have plenty of time...plus it's Southampton etc. etc." I guess harking back to how we almost nearly went down several times is just the Latics way tho....

Edited by boundaryblue80

Wow....people are getting the negatives ready over 2 hours before a kick off....sad!!!

PS I was actually hoping when I clicked to read this it would say "let's not panic, we've done well to get in a good position and have plenty of time...plus it's Southampton etc. etc." I guess harking back to how we almost nearly went down several times is just the Latics way tho....

Didn't read the thread like that at all.

A reminder of a great day in Latics history and trying to give a boost to people IF we don't get a positive result tonight (which given the odds on Betfair - we are 11-1 to win - is hihgly possible).

Brought back some happy (if partially incorrect) memoires for me

typical latics fan stuck in the past. move on.

Didn't read the thread like that at all.

A reminder of a great day in Latics history and trying to give a boost to people IF we don't get a positive result tonight (which given the odds on Betfair - we are 11-1 to win - is hihgly possible).

Brought back some happy (if partially incorrect) memoires for me

Fairdo's...just with the title "If things dont go well tonight" and then talk of us staying up when a team claimed to be safe, as Palace did...a bit like we feel we are (relatively) now.

typical latics fan stuck in the past. move on.

It's called reminiscing about 'The Great Escape'...what's wrong with that?

It doesn't mean we haven't moved on.

That Southampton game is one of the biggest rollercoaster games I have ever witnessed at BP and Le Tissier's goals were all sheer class, as was Ritchies bullet header. My favourite player? Look at my avatar...the guy had more verve than our entire squad put together. :wink:

And when things don't go well tonight - you need also to remember that York were relegated from this division with, if my memory serves me right, 52 points !

and if my memory serves me right that afternoon they had to get a point away at City to definitley be safe but could afford to lose and still stay up as long as 3 other teams (including us) didn't all win. York lost and the other teams all won.

Stand by for kicking from BB80