bodes well for next season - dedication

Spoke to Pav at the awards evening/Littlewoods Cup Dinner, I said to him "I bet you'll be glad when this season's over?", He said it had been a bit of a nightmare since the op, there were complications we know, and he still wasn't fit when he was rushed back. He couldn't train because of the awful weather for the best part of two months - which was vital in him regaining his match fitness. He wasn't just not match-fit he was simply not fit and by the end of the season he wasn't training much at all just trying to get through games whilst clearly struggling to get through our fixture pile up. From the beginning of Feb we were playing pretty much 3 games a week. His form tailed off I agree but clearly the lad was bollocksed.

Hopefully he'll have a good pre-season strengthen the old muscles and his hernia heals properly. (The wife deals with unhealed hernias on a daily basis as a community nurse and she explained the gorey details - not pleasant if you get complications believe me!)

How interesting...why does this only apply to Pav though...why not the other 9 or 10 players who were also injured during October and November after a decent enough 1st 2 months...this is what particularly fecks me right off about last season and the nature of our lot to turn on the manager. Those words from Pav could've come out of many of the mouths of those who were playing survival football. Shame it cost someone their job though.....anyway......

Edited by boundaryblue80

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How interesting...why does this only apply to Pav though...why not the other 9 or 10 players who were also injured during October and November after a decent enough 1st 2 months...this is what particularly fecks me right off about last season and the nature of our lot to turn on the manager. Those words from Pav could've come out of many of the mouths of those who were playing survival football. Shame it cost someone their job though.....anyway......

Add in his lay-off though and you're looking at nearly 4 months not training at full-pelt. I know what you are saying, but at least the rest of 'em weren't waiting for a gammy wound to heal...

1. No other player had the complication Pav had
  2. Only Taylor and Pav were advised not to play or train when they did, Penney played them to try to save his job
  3. Pav had extreme complications during his operations, Pav nearly lost more than his footballing career
  4. Fans turned on the manager for many reasons, it wasn't just getting players to train when injured.

I have seen on the chronicle web site that many at the club thought Penney was hard working, that maybe the case but you can work hard and not do the job right

IMO for PAV to only now be able to push himself to full training shows how badly he was advised by his ex manager.

2. Only Taylor and Pav were advised not to play or train when they did, Penney played them to try to save his job
  3. Pav had extreme complications during his operations, Pav nearly lost more than his footballing career
  4. Fans turned on the manager for many reasons, it wasn't just getting players to train when injured.

I have seen on the chronicle web site that many at the club thought Penney was hard working, that maybe the case but you can work hard and not do the job right

IMO for PAV to only now be able to push himself to full training shows how badly he was advised by his ex manager.

And not only that, Pavs career at Darlington (also under Penney) was also marred by injury, the same injury as what he had here (hernia)

Coincidence?

That's rubbish...we had 10 players injured in November going into December and couldn't get any games or training done to get any of them fit. Yes Pav had complications but to say not getting games and pitch time for any of them wasn't a massive effect, is ludicrous and saying it was just Pav and Taylor is nothing short of a lie...Smalley, JJ, Worthington were all 1st teamers and in the same boat. There's 5 first teamers to start with. Settled side??? Don't think it was possible once last season.

That's rubbish...we had 10 players injured in November going into December and couldn't get any games or training done to get any of them fit. Yes Pav had complications but to say not getting games and pitch time for any of them wasn't a massive effect, is ludicrous and saying it was just Pav and Taylor is nothing short of a lie...Smalley, JJ, Worthington were all 1st teamers and in the same boat. There's 5 first teamers to start with. Settled side??? Don't think it was possible once last season.

The team played the clubs best eleven only a few times granted. Pav and Taylor both had long term injuries they were rushed back which effected their game and ability

Smalley in Sept had the possibility of retiring which thankfully for him was not the case but Smalley played from his first game back for 90 mins in a lot of games instead of being gradually introduced to increase his fitness. Smalley only played to his potentional a few times last season

JJ, Worthington and Purdie all had pre existing conditions before they came to the club.

Penney either didnt do his homework on them or allowed them (or maybe forced) them to train?

I know for sure that two players complained about the fitness conditioning.

Playing with injury or returning from injury to early was a massive problem.

We had players on the bench who could have covered for the players injured last season. :censored: and Blackman to say two who could have played in the positions of Smalley and Tails to allow them more time to come back.

How many players had the same type of injury last season? Too many thats the answer,

The team played the clubs best eleven only a few times granted. Pav and Taylor both had long term injuries they were rushed back which effected their game and ability

Smalley in Sept had the possibility of retiring which thankfully for him was not the case but Smalley played from his first game back for 90 mins in a lot of games instead of being gradually introduced to increase his fitness. Smalley only played to his potentional a few times last season

JJ, Worthington and Purdie all had pre existing conditions before they came to the club.

Penney either didnt do his homework on them or allowed them (or maybe forced) them to train?

I know for sure that two players complained about the fitness conditioning.

Playing with injury or returning from injury to early was a massive problem.

We had players on the bench who could have covered for the players injured last season. :censored: and Blackman to say two who could have played in the positions of Smalley and Tails to allow them more time to come back.

How many players had the same type of injury last season? Too many thats the answer,

I'm unsure what pre-existing condition Worthy had- he spent most of his time out injured due to broken leg which he got in a game. I think you may mean Holdsworth- who does have a pre-exisitng condition in his knee (very similar to the one Hargreaves had when United signed him- so even SAF and Utd make the same decisions we made).

Players complaining about fitness conditioning- quelle surprise- its fitness training its not fun.

JJ and Purdie are interesting cases- JJ had a bit of a fitness problem prior to his arrival but it wasn't with the same injury that kept him out for the first third or so of the season. Purdie on the other hand had missed a handful of games through injury in his career and then gets a serious injury diagnosed (note- he got it diagnosed not that it appeared it could have been pre exisiting) and misses the entire season. Taylor also struggled for fitness for almost the entire season and was clearly played when he wasn't fit. The same for Abott from about September onwards (note we were in 9th when we drew with Charlton away- I don't think its coincidence where we ended up when Abbott came back).

No matter what level of football injuries play an important role in how well you do- even someone like Man U struggled to find fit defenders depsite having people we could only dream of not making the bench if everyone is fit. In some ways this is down to the management and backroom staff but in many others its luck. Playing people when not fully fit was simply something we had to do last season because of our strength in depth. We had our first choice centre forward injured for ages, 3 of our first choice midfielders (Taylor, Smalley, Worthy/Purdie) injured for ages, plus some of the back-ups were injured for a while (Lewis). With the emergence of some of our youngsters through necessity and skill, Eaves and Millar immediately spring to mind, we may not have to worry about playing an unfit Chris Taylor next season- we can throw Millar/Smalley/Purdie in there instead- not to mention some of the other youngsters we have e.g. McGrath.

The laws of averages say that whilst things may have not been perfect with the training/medical side of things (Abbott's hernia repair springs to mind), things are unlikely to be as bad as they were last season. However, bar a couple of games Hazell was fit for everyone, Gregan DID play every minute (which is a remarkable achievement in the modern game at centre-half, nevermind in someone his age) the laws of probability suggest to me (I'm not a statistican though so I may have got this completely wrong) that this is even less likely to happen next season than it was last season. So the first signing I would like Dickov to make is one who might not have played much last season- a decent reserve centre-half, if they are good enough to push Gregan/Rubes for a place then all the better.

One thing that is blatantly clear to me is the lower down you go in the professional game the more fitness plays an important role, despite loosing a load of games we didn't conceed that many goals in the 85th and beyond minute (as far as I recall I could be horribly wrong)- especially if you discount the goals where it made no difference in the overall result (so if we were already loosing). This I think contrasts significantly with Shez and previous managers. This may have had something to do with DP bringing them in early for pre-season training but it may not.

Another thing is that whilst it not being a perfect way to play football there has been some success for the smaller teams (e.g. Scunthorpe) in this division by having 7 workhorses who run their socks off, 1 flair player in midfield (we have that in Taylor) and 2 flair players up front (we've got one in Abbott). Dickov may have been a runner at higher levels but when he was down in this division he was a flair player too- if we can find someone who is a few years younger but exactly the same then we might be quids in.

And not only that, Pavs career at Darlington (also under Penney) was also marred by injury, the same injury as what he had here (hernia)

Coincidence?

He's always been the same at Hudds, Swansea, Darlo & here blighted by injury to put it lightly he's a bit of a crock.

Yes, he does show touches of sheer class but as many have said misses some absolute sitters (see Brentford away)