NHL off-season

With the nice end to the other thread it seemed fitting to start a new one for the close season given the news that Scott Niedermayer has retired.

Great career :applause1:

As for free agency, well it appears the big one who will be on free agency will be Sergei Gonchar (on the assumption the stalling negotiations with the Pens don't reach a sudden agreeable conclusion to both parties). Kovalchuk and Selanne are the others probably worth keeping an eye on...

Edited by jsslatic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonchar to Ottawa :disappointed:

Martin (and Michalek) to Pittsburgh :grin::grin:

Today there were Canada Day celebrations in Trafalgar Square...I met Perry Berezan, the former Flames and Sharks forward credited for this

He was wearing a Flames jersey with his name on (I don't think too many recognised him) and wandering round with a bag of photos of himself and signing them for those who wanted. Rather tragic, though that said I still got a signed photo and a picture of me and him...

Gonchar to Ottawa :disappointed:

Martin (and Michalek) to Pittsburgh :grin::grin:

Today there were Canada Day celebrations in Trafalgar Square...I met Perry Berezan, the former Flames and Sharks forward credited for this

He was wearing a Flames jersey with his name on (I don't think too many recognised him) and wandering round with a bag of photos of himself and signing them for those who wanted. Rather tragic, though that said I still got a signed photo and a picture of me and him...

Martin who!? :wink:

He's good, but not someone I feel can't be replaced (and I'm not surprised we didn't try and compete with you offering up a $25m deal!).

Speaking of replacements... we've picked up Henrik Tallinder from Buffalo and Anton Volchenkov from Ottawa - the latter being touted (optimistically) as a replacement, at last, for Scott Stevens. We also took Johan Hedberg off Atlanta as a back up to Marty - the claim being he'll take some of the workload off him as he enters the twilight of his career.

I've said it two years in a row and I'll say it even more so, now we have an inexperienced head-coach, we're in transition and I'll be grateful for a continuation of our playoff-making run.

Oh, and rest easy Neidremayamermayer - you've earned it.

Incredible draft result - Check

Resign Saku - Check

Sign a new tough blueliner (who just happens to be finnish) - Check

Decent offer on the table for Bobby Ryan - Check (sign you muppet - however can see him wanting less than a 5-year deal)

Get Teemu to bloody resign - :unsure: However, the resigning of his best mate has made things all the more rosy, firmly believe any reasonable offer will now keep him here.... unless someone wants to throw a 2-year deal at him....

Its looking up...

Incredible draft result - Check

Resign Saku - Check

Sign a new tough blueliner (who just happens to be finnish) - Check

Decent offer on the table for Bobby Ryan - Check (sign you muppet - however can see him wanting less than a 5-year deal)

Get Teemu to bloody resign - :unsure: However, the resigning of his best mate has made things all the more rosy, firmly believe any reasonable offer will now keep him here.... unless someone wants to throw a 2-year deal at him....

Its looking up...

Fail to make the post season - check

Resign All your players - check

=

FAIL

:wink:

Fail to make the post season - check

Resign All your players - check

=

FAIL

Must.... resist... trying... not... to.... bite.....

:hooked:

Shut your face. For me there was a couple of big problems with the ducks, and that definitely didnt involve offensive personnel. Well it did a bit, as for the first half of the season they pretty much all underperformed. Take out the 5 or 6 games after the Olympics (where as we had the most players playing, we had an obvious hangover) and we battered everyone in the second half of the season... put the two halves together and it was still a momentous fail, however theres enough to be otimistic about.

We need to move around our supporting cast, and sign some blueline grit. Loods will add to that. (I read somwhere he is the league leader of shot blocking, the way the ducks lay that will be essential!) We also need to start growing the next wave of ducks - the fantastic draft will help that. We finally need to get Ryan Getzlaf playing like Ryan Getzlaf from the start of the season. Good luck with that...

Not too much wrong with the ducks. If we have a decent start we are a top 5 western side (the good side of the league, remember...) Now how about looking at your navel and trying to figure out how to score some goals and replace that dinosaur you have betweent he posts?

Peronnel wise we arent too far off. A little

Me and my old man were have been talking for a long time about a trip to the US to catch some games, and with me taking this next year out it's been decided that now's the time to actually do it. With the fixtures now out this is the provisional plan of matches we're planning on catching:

8th February - San Jose @ Washington

10th February - Carolina @ Philadelphia

11th February - San Jose @ New Jersey

13th February - Pittsburgh @ NY Rangers

15th February - Toronto @ Boston

18th February - St Louis @ Buffalo

20th February - Pittsburgh @ Chicago

21st February - Washington @ Pittsburgh

22nd February - San Jose @ Detroit

A lot of travelling (much overnight), going to be knackering but looking forward to it just a bit...

Me and my old man were have been talking for a long time about a trip to the US to catch some games, and with me taking this next year out it's been decided that now's the time to actually do it. With the fixtures now out this is the provisional plan of matches we're planning on catching:

A lot of travelling (much overnight), going to be knackering but looking forward to it just a bit...

Sounds phenomenal mate. I assume it's on your dad's tab as that's gonna set you back a hearty chunk of change for the game-tickets alone!!

For Jersey I'd stay on Manhattan island and take the train over as that takes no time at all, stops a 2 minute walk from the Continental and doesn't involve being in Jersey for too long! :lol:

Try and spend as little time as possible in Phili, it's a dump. Give yourself as much time as possible in Boston, it's gorgeous. It goes without saying, but if you have time try and get to the Smithsonian buildings in DC as they're awesome.

Sounds phenomenal mate. I assume it's on your dad's tab as that's gonna set you back a hearty chunk of change for the game-tickets alone!!

For Jersey I'd stay on Manhattan island and take the train over as that takes no time at all, stops a 2 minute walk from the Continental and doesn't involve being in Jersey for too long! :lol:

Try and spend as little time as possible in Phili, it's a dump. Give yourself as much time as possible in Boston, it's gorgeous. It goes without saying, but if you have time try and get to the Smithsonian buildings in DC as they're awesome.

Absolutely on the cost front, I'll chip in no doubt but think I'm going to have to be saying a lot of thank yous and stepping up the Father's Day and birthday presents over the foreseeable future :wink:

That's the plan for NJ, I've been to NY before and am not fussed about staying there for too long so think we'll shoot off quickly out of Philly (well aware there's not much reason to be there) into NY and then head off to Boston to maximise time there after the Pens game (which is an afternoon one).

By far the shortest stay will be Buffalo which is just convenient for breaking up the journey between Boston and Chicago...head from Boston to Buffalo during the day of the 18th, catch the game and then shoot off to Chicago on the overnight train. Can't imagine will be missing out on much in downtown Buffalo.

Absolutely on the cost front, I'll chip in no doubt but think I'm going to have to be saying a lot of thank yous and stepping up the Father's Day and birthday presents over the foreseeable future :wink:

That's the plan for NJ, I've been to NY before and am not fussed about staying there for too long so think we'll shoot off quickly out of Philly (well aware there's not much reason to be there) into NY and then head off to Boston to maximise time there after the Pens game (which is an afternoon one).

By far the shortest stay will be Buffalo which is just convenient for breaking up the journey between Boston and Chicago...head from Boston to Buffalo during the day of the 18th, catch the game and then shoot off to Chicago on the overnight train. Can't imagine will be missing out on much in downtown Buffalo.

Never been to Buffalo... there's a reason for that :wink:

How are you getting about? You say train... I think I advised you of this last time, but I really do recommend bus travel. It's not exactly glamourous but its quick, efficient and cheap.

They have Megabus in the US now (http://us.megabus.com) which my friend who lives there has used and said was more than adequate for the NYC-DC journey she made - I've not actually used them.

I've used Greyhound (www.greyhound.com) and they are fine and also Bolt Bus (owned by Greyhound - https://www.boltbus.com). We even used "chinatown bus" once which was run between the two China Towns, full of Chinese and a good laugh (plus cheapest and fastest)

If I can find my USA LonelyPlanet you're welcome to borrow it, but let me know if you want it as it'll be boxed up at my mam and dad's somewhere.

Never been to Buffalo... there's a reason for that :wink:

How are you getting about? You say train... I think I advised you of this last time, but I really do recommend bus travel. It's not exactly glamourous but its quick, efficient and cheap.

They have Megabus in the US now (http://us.megabus.com) which my friend who lives there has used and said was more than adequate for the NYC-DC journey she made - I've not actually used them.

I've used Greyhound (www.greyhound.com) and they are fine and also Bolt Bus (owned by Greyhound - https://www.boltbus.com). We even used "chinatown bus" once which was run between the two China Towns, full of Chinese and a good laugh (plus cheapest and fastest)

If I can find my USA LonelyPlanet you're welcome to borrow it, but let me know if you want it as it'll be boxed up at my mam and dad's somewhere.

Think it will be a mix and match of bus and train depending on price, duration and times of departure. I've checked Amtrak and all of the journeys we're planning can be done (bar Boston-Buffalo which is proving tricky), will be a case of sitting down and comparing prices with Greyhound, Megabus etc. I'm sure we'll be looking at buses for the shorter journeys towards the start in particular. Thanks for the advice on the others though.

If you've got the LonelyPlanet guide then that would be great, but don't put yourself out to find it if it's going to be tricky. Just any tips on Boston/Chicago/Washington would be appreciated...

Edited by jsslatic

Think it will be a mix and match of bus and train depending on price, duration and times of departure. I've checked Amtrak and all of the journeys we're planning can be done (bar Boston-Buffalo which is proving tricky), will be a case of sitting down and comparing prices with Greyhound, Megabus etc. I'm sure we'll be looking at buses for the shorter journeys towards the start in particular. Thanks for the advice on the others though.

If you've for the LonelyPlanet guide then that would be great, but don't put yourself out to find it if it's going to be tricky. Just any tips on Boston/Chicago/Washington would be appreciated...

I'm pretty sure I still have it, I got the books in the proverbial divorce from my Ex, I'll have a look when I'm at my mum's on Thursday.

Boston

Amazing city, we spent a fortnight there over the Christmas/New Year period. You could easily spend a couple of days looking around no trouble. But if you're on the fly then the best thing to do is head to the Common (http://bit.ly/blvW0N) and then potter about from there, walking the Heritage Trail was fun and allows you to cover a lot of the best architecture without having to work out where things are for yourself.

Boston Garden is a bit like the MEN, built directly on top of a train station. So no matter where you stay in the city you will be able to get to it with relative ease on the subway. We stayed at a Holiday Inn right round the corner (http://bit.ly/98kVD4) which was cheap as we booked it online through a discount website. But it was lovely and they were easy to charm with a British accent (got upgraded to a suit on the exec floor for cheaper than we'd have paid for beds in a dorm at the hostel!). That website is http://www.hotwire.com (make sure you read how it works as whilst it's excellent for deals it might not suit your needs).

Washington

We actually stayed in Virginia as we were there about 4 days before the Obama Inauguration and so the entirety of DC had at least tripled in cost. Even so it was only a 30 minute bus/subway ride into the main Downtown DC area.

Downtown Washington is awesome, all the huge white-marble buidlings you imagine to be there are and are just as impressive. Don't miss Capitol Hill, The White House and The Lincoln Memorial for things to see, along with a host of other cool buildings. The Smithsonian as I said earlier is awesome, if you can go out to the Zoo (it's free) as that's quite cool and assuming the Panda's I saw rooking were successful there should be a baby by now! :lol:

Don't bother going to see the Pentagon unless it really appeals to you as it's crap. It's basically just a bus station. Very strange and underwhelming.

Chicago

Not been yet, so take notes for me!

As someone who has been to all those places barring Pittsburgh (admittedly some were only for a few hours) and it was in the summer. Philly isn't that bad- it has quite a bit of history for somewhere in the States (Liberty Bell, Freedom Hall) plus the Rocky Steps. A Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is a must.

I'd look up greyhound week/month passes (or fortnight ones if they do them) was reasonable value- but then again I slept on the bus (saved me a hostel fee). But going by coach (and note the trains ain't that quick- they stop quite a bit, certainly not that much quicker than driving yourself- always an option) might mean its a push to get in and out of Chicago in the time you've got. If you do fly don't go to O'Haire if you can its probably an hour out of town in light traffic. I'd imagine New York is really expensive to stay in but considering its a proper commuter city you might well be able to stay somewhere a bit further out and travel in. Boston to Buffalo on a coach is definately doable (took about 9 hours though).

Boston is the best city I've been to in the States, there is loads to do, the freedom trail is good (its quite anti-British though but that is to be expected). Chicago- go up the Sears Tower and have a look round Lincoln park, where there is a free zoo. If you have time (which I doubt) then some of the other stuff I did there you might not be interested in, or available, or best given the weather (medical museum, Wrigley field and a Bears training session- that won't be on) but it does have a fancy looking aquarium. Washington- aside from what Ackey mentioned there's the Washington monument (a big obalisk) and the Vietnam memorial but you could probably spend a week looking round all the bits of the Smithsonian and not be bored.

Mike Modano in talks with the Red Wings with regards to a one year deal with his hometown team before he retires. Hope he doesn't ruin a brilliant career by playing for that lot, in the same way Yzerman never salvaged his by playing for anyone else :wink:

Mike Modano in talks with the Red Wings with regards to a one year deal with his hometown team before he retires. Hope he doesn't ruin a brilliant career by playing for that lot, in the same way Yzerman never salvaged his by playing for anyone else :wink:

:lol:

Don't do it Mikey!