Mike Newton

Vale fan here. Can you guys give us any information about Mike Newton. In particularly, we would be interested to know anything about why he left Oldham at the end of last season. Thanks.

It'sa mystery

Conspiracy therosits talk about falling out about wanting to appoint MArtin "Catastophic Failure" Grey. DAve penney's Asst.

Suspect he was supposed to be a silent partnet, but got a bit too involved

Seemed decent and gave a genuince insight into the running of the club.

He did lots of fact finding at LEeeds etc seems to ahve assumed it was the same for Oldham.

Suspect he wanted to appoint Grey as he got on wel, with hi,m rather than what was best for the club.

There would ahve been a riot if we had appointed Gray. Grey could probalby talk the talk

Corney (~MD at th etime now Chairman) understood the politics of football and fans, Newton clearly did not.

Corney nailed his mst to Dickov. We appointed Dickov, we playing well, and got some good results. End of.

He left within days of this blog entry.

Newton blog

Edited by singe

It'sa mystery

Conspiracy therosits talk about falling out about wanting to appoint MArtin "Catastophic Failure" Grey. DAve penney's Asst.

Suspect he was supposed to be a silent partnet, but got a bit too involved

Seemed decent and gave a genuince insight into the running of the club.

He did lots of fact finding at LEeeds etc seems to ahve assumed it was the same for Oldham.

Suspect he wanted to appoint Grey as he got on wel, with hi,m rather than what was best for the club.

There would ahve been a riot if we had appointed Gray. Grey could probalby talk the talk

Corney (~MD at th etime now Chairman) understood the politics of football and fans, Newton clearly did not.

Corney nailed his mst to Dickov. We appointed Dickov, we playing well, and got some good results. End of.

He left within days of this blog entry.

Newton blog

That's a good comment.

From the on line contact we had he seemed a good genuine guy. Not sure why he was brought on board as we didn't see any fancy capital introduced. I can only guess he had a fall out with the other owners.

That's a good comment.

From the on line contact we had he seemed a good genuine guy. Not sure why he was brought on board as we didn't see any fancy capital introduced. I can only guess he had a fall out with the other owners.

Yes, good point he was supposed to bring money in, but as you ay we did not seem to see any. Not sure any happened. Maybe some is for Failsworth, or the paying of Architects etc?

Who knows.

Could be good for Port vale in he seems to genuinely like the invlolement and has some good business ideas. But the major bloack is not understanding the game and the politics of it. Which might have been illustrated with your Port vale fan not Alec) current Chairman getting irked. Never met him, but Newton seems pretty blunt and honest. THat could be his undoing, a bit of diplomacy sometimes needed. Typical Yank in that regard. :wink:

Edited by singe

Could be good for Port vale in he seems to genuinely like the invlolement and has some good business ideas. But the major bloack is not understanding the game and the politics of it. Which might have been illustrated with your Port vale fan not Alec) current Chairman getting irked. Never met him, but Newton seems pretty blunt and honest. THat could be his undoing, a bit of diplomacy sometimes needed. Typical Yank in that regard. :wink:

Born in Stoke-on-Trent!

Vale fan here. Can you guys give us any information about Mike Newton. In particularly, we would be interested to know anything about why he left Oldham at the end of last season. Thanks.

By the way, the equivalent is of Newton chosing Martin gray is him resignign from the board in support of Dean Glover

Edited by singe

By the way, the equivalent is of Newton chosing Martin gray is him resignign from the board in support of Dean Glover

Is it to his credit that he resigned? Our directors who wanted Glover when Sinnott was appointed just stayed on and stirred it up behind the scenes then got Glover appointed anyway - and he was complete rubbish!

Edited by Sooty

Is it to his credit that he resigned? Our directors who wanted Glover when Sinnott was appointed just stayed on and stirred it up behind the scenes then got Glover appointed anyway - and he was complete rubbish!

Not much credit in my book.

Just looked liked he chucked his toys out of the pram and quit.

Of course, the two owners (not directors as it says on your forum) leaving might give credence to financial difficulties, but it was said at the time it was as much personal.

We budgetted without the owners so it looked it was was planned for a while.

He was introduced as friend of the current Chairman (previsouly MD) via some relative though, not the departing owners. So maybe hwea wanted to be Chairman here too?

Not much credit in my book.

Just looked liked he chucked his toys out of the pram and quit.

Of course, the two owners (not directors as it says on your forum) leaving might give credence to financial difficulties, but it was said at the time it was as much personal.

We budgetted without the owners so it looked it was was planned for a while.

He was introduced as friend of the current Chairman (previsouly MD) via some relative though, not the departing owners. So maybe hwea wanted to be Chairman here too?

He claimed at a meeting with Vale supporters that he was offered the chairmanship but when he did his due diligence some things didn't add up so he left. Does that sound likely or not would you say??

He claimed at a meeting with Vale supporters that he was offered the chairmanship but when he did his due diligence some things didn't add up so he left. Does that sound likely or not would you say??

It would not suprise me, but does not really tally here.

However, we are obvisouyl not privy to what was said.

I suppose the scenarios is entirely possible, and some conspiracy theorists ( of which you have as many as us!) would love it to be put out as fact.

Simple truth, Possible, but we don't know.

The reason I am sceptical, is that Newton was brought in ont he back of being a business colleague (and seemingly chummy) with our last remaining member of 2 owners + now Chairman but ex MD.

It strikes me as odd that the MD would invite him to be in effect his boss.

I suspect he made a play for it with the reported 400k he is using for you guys, and to be honest, we need more than that to fund our new Stadium etc.

You made a loss of 350-500k last season and I suspect he sees that through bankers eyes. He might not be wrong, but it's fooball!

We made a loss of around the same amount, but ours is underwritten by the owner (still owns, but no longer day to day) I think it sits there as debt.

I suspect he thought his 400k would get him more clout.

It looks to me more like he is trying to get in the Chairmans job/ownthe club on the cheap, and more likely he tried it here too, but got rebuffed as we had already budgetted.

He's a banker, so it's money/business isn't it?

I saw what he reportedly was going to cut, white wine and sandwiches etc. for the Direcotrs.

Nothniog on players wages though, and that is the biggst expense.

but hinting at cutting wages won;t get you installed as Chairman!

It all had a tocuh of the Tony Blairs to me.

If he did leave after due dilligence, why did he not say so.

The quote in our local paper was

“I joined last July and since then I feel I have given the club good value financially and must have been over eight times from New York,” said Stoke-in-Trent-born Newton, a financial trader.

“I have done my best to sort out issues and have worked hard for the club and am disappointed I can’t take my involvement further.”

Edited by singe

Would we have wanted Newton in charge of running the Latics now?

No.

Emphatically

The way he has played the game out in the public, I would be very unhappy at those sort of shenanigans.

He'll get bored, chuck hs toys out of the pram and move on.

Just read from the meeting that Mike Newton has backing from someone else too (Blitz or Gazal?! :shock: )

No Direcotrs expenses, no mney coming out.

It won't be Blitz or Gazal.

They may have resigned as directors, but Blitz and Gazall still own 97 percent of OAFC between them, and we still owe them money so to speak, hence they still have financial involvement with us, and the FL would not allow them to become financially involved with another football club.

It won't be Blitz or Gazal.

They may have resigned as directors, but Blitz and Gazall still own 97 percent of OAFC between them, and we still owe them money so to speak, hence they still have financial involvement with us, and the FL would not allow them to become financially involved with another football club.

Unless their wives etc buy them :)

No.

Emphatically

The way he has played the game out in the public, I would be very unhappy at those sort of shenanigans.

He'll get bored, chuck hs toys out of the pram and move on.

This isn't a pop at you singe so please don't take it that way, but this is a classic example of not being able to please everybody

In the Tom Eaves thread you have fans moaning because the fee was undisclosed, accusing the club of a lack of transparency (the argument to support the undisclosed fee I will save for that thread).

And then you have fans at the other end of the scale, who don't like 'the game being played' out in the public. With his interview on the BBC, Newton said he upped his offer to 500k (200k now, 200k in a year and 100k floating reserve).

If for whatever reason Newton did become involved at Latics again in the role of Chairman, I would have no doubt fans would get transparency, but I think they would also get a reality check as the club would have to be brought to operate well within its means, which would almost certainly mean playing our football in the basement division (and thats assuming our average attendances dont drop below the 3000 mark).

Unless their wives etc buy them :)

Southampton tried that trick though didn't they (well kind of). It was southampon leisure holdings that went into administration, not Southampton FC, and it was on that grounds that they tried to dodge administration, but the league overruled it, stating the two organisations were linked.