"Oldham aren't going to challenge for Promotion"

I'm not sure Millwall had such a small budget. This Guardian article suggests annual losses of £4m per year, a lot of which must have gone on the playing side.

Look at the team that got them promoted, not really any marquee players. Not big money signings. Just decent loan signings like James Henry, Sean Batt, Darren Ward. Morrison was their biggest buy.

Edited by PlayItLivo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure Millwall had such a small budget. This Guardian article suggests annual losses of £4m per year, a lot of which must have gone on the playing side.

I don't know where the losses come from.

ButI'd hazard a guess that they have a big interest bill to pay on the loans that funded that stadium and I suspect the business rates are bigger than BP too.

So while they will have had a bigger playing budget, that won't be the sole cause of a £4m loss.

If anything gives me optimism about this season it's that we gave both Scunny and Charlton a game, along with outplaying some decent teams in pre-season for what it's worth. I've raised my prediction from relegation battle to mid table, granted it's early day but I feel Dickov will at least get us to beat most of the teams we should be beating.

I think we could be building a Millwall-esque team. Under Jackett's first season they were battling relegation and almost went down. But Jackett formed a hard working team who got results, barely losing at home and picking up good points away. They made it to the playoff final whilst beating Leeds and lost to Scunthorpe then last season they beat Huddersfield (with all their cash) and Swindon. And that's with spending very little (100k on Steven Morrison which to be fair we spent the that much on Furman and Colbeck), and they made some tidy but not really high profile loan signings as well. I think Millwall are a prime example of what a team can achieve even against the big spenders if you have a energetic hard working team. That's why I don't buy the idea that it's currently near impossible for a team like us to challenge for promotion, Millwall proved it, they operated on a budget of most of the lesser teams in this division, could not compete with the big spenders in terms of signings but could more than match those teams on the field.

Young energetic team with a mix of quality = Key to get out of this division.

This season, Dickov will make mistakes, I don't really think we'll be up there. The signs for Dickov are looking good, I reckon next season, if he learns from his mistakes (something Sheridan didn't do in his second season), then we could have a good shout of getting out of here.

You know what, that just might be the best thing you’ve ever posted; and not 1 mention of Abbott! :wink:

Seriously; I had us bottom half; 16th to 12th as I saw it – but the more I watch; the more I think we just might be able to reach a little higher. Forget about being top; now 2nd; it’s mega early – but I think I’ve seen enough to suggest we just may be able to reach the giddy heights of mid table (or beyond eh?)

In Dickov we trust!

If anything gives me optimism about this season it's that we gave both Scunny and Charlton a game, along with outplaying some decent teams in pre-season for what it's worth. I've raised my prediction from relegation battle to mid table, granted it's early day but I feel Dickov will at least get us to beat most of the teams we should be beating.

I think we could be building a Millwall-esque team. Under Jackett's first season they were battling relegation and almost went down. But Jackett formed a hard working team who got results, barely losing at home and picking up good points away. They made it to the playoff final whilst beating Leeds and lost to Scunthorpe then last season they beat Huddersfield (with all their cash) and Swindon. And that's with spending very little (100k on Steven Morrison which to be fair we spent the that much on Furman and Colbeck), and they made some tidy but not really high profile loan signings as well. I think Millwall are a prime example of what a team can achieve even against the big spenders if you have a energetic hard working team. That's why I don't buy the idea that it's currently near impossible for a team like us to challenge for promotion, Millwall proved it, they operated on a budget of most of the lesser teams in this division, could not compete with the big spenders in terms of signings but could more than match those teams on the field.

Young energetic team with a mix of quality = Key to get out of this division.

This season, Dickov will make mistakes, I don't really think we'll be up there. The signs for Dickov are looking good, I reckon next season, if he learns from his mistakes (something Sheridan didn't do in his second season), then we could have a good shout of getting out of here.

Good post.