The Oldham Chron

Can anyone tell me why Rochdale are suddenly getting coverage in the chron since their promotion? It annoys me that the red scum and sky blue scum get coverage in an OLDHAM paper but Rochdale? What's all that about?

because latics kicked the chron onto touch because they wouldnt report right,and wouldnt wait until the club wanted stuff releasing,they kept leaking info and the like.

they have a back page and that that they have to fill with something...

because latics kicked the chron onto touch because they wouldnt report right,and wouldnt wait until the club wanted stuff releasing,they kept leaking info and the like.

they have a back page and that that they have to fill with something...

Surprised anyone bothers to buy it these days... With the internet and the MEN being largely free...

Its seems a bit "little town mentality" to just read about your local town :)

I'm in two minds about the Chron.

First and foremost, it is a rare privilege to have a genuinely local, independent newspaper in an age where the huge majority have been swallowed up by the national press.

From that point of view alone, I'd say it's a paper worth supporting to maintain its independence. After all, it does tend to report Oldham Borough news reasonably well - it must help that the journos and editors are Oldham people, writing in Oldham.

However, time and again - and not always to do with Latics -the paper manages to shoot itself in the foot and turn people off.

A very good friend of mine followed his Dad onto the paper, and whenever we talk about it he defends the Chron wholeheartedly despite taking redundancy a while ago. As an independent, the paper still has that kind of hold on people - the instant Guardian Media or some other group buys it, that will be lost.

I suspect it won't be long before they cut two nights a week. How well the new weekend paper does is almost certainly crucial.

I'm in two minds about the Chron.

First and foremost, it is a rare privilege to have a genuinely local, independent newspaper in an age where the huge majority have been swallowed up by the national press.

From that point of view alone, I'd say it's a paper worth supporting to maintain its independence. After all, it does tend to report Oldham Borough news reasonably well - it must help that the journos and editors are Oldham people, writing in Oldham.

However, time and again - and not always to do with Latics -the paper manages to shoot itself in the foot and turn people off.

A very good friend of mine followed his Dad onto the paper, and whenever we talk about it he defends the Chron wholeheartedly despite taking redundancy a while ago. As an independent, the paper still has that kind of hold on people - the instant Guardian Media or some other group buys it, that will be lost.

I suspect it won't be long before they cut two nights a week. How well the new weekend paper does is almost certainly crucial.

Would agree with your comments, if the Chron was to go you`d be reading about our games in one paragraph if your lucky in the nationals ! I actually though the Latics coverage had got a bit better this season with back page coverage and the best part of a double page spread inside on a monday with match report ! will probably get better if were more succesful under Dickov ?

And if they are flogging it in Middleton a lot of those folk may well support both clubs.

It will be interesting when we play them and beat them 15-0 will they write two reports once saying how bad Dale are and one saying they were unlucky.

Well they didn't give a :censored: about Rochdale when they were in league 2 so why the interest all of a sudden? Like i said, its an Oldham paper, not a Rochdale one.

Local rival in our league.

Picked up the Chron for the first time in a while yesterday , its thinner than ever for a monday to say they are reporting on all the weekends actions , needless to say I didnt buy it

They used to have the 4 page or so Sportslife or something like that in on Mondays, instead they have taken what usually covered the back few pages and put it there

Well they didn't give a :censored: about Rochdale when they were in league 2 so why the interest all of a sudden? Like i said, its an Oldham paper, not a Rochdale one.

I don't remember where I stored my 'shopped version so this will have to do:

league640.jpg

Surprised anyone bothers to buy it these days... With the internet and the MEN being largely free...

Its seems a bit "little town mentality" to just read about your local town :)

Ever thought some folk might read the Chron AND a national paper AND the internet AND listen to the radio AND watch the TV....? No ? Who's the one with the small mentality ?

Guest Scratch2000uk

I hate paying 47p for it, but like doing the cryptic crossword.........what to do??? :shock:

Edited by Scratch2000uk