Charlton vs Latics Post Game Thread

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some charlton fans were knocking the number of our support, but i don't think that's too bad...equates to around 1/5th of our home support.

That's like them taking 3000 away with them.

Funny - they didn't bring that many more to Boundary Park last season than we took yesterday, and thats when they could have sealed promotion!

Sounds like sour grapes on their part after a great day all round for us.........

Edited by JoeP

we scored more than 13 goals didnt we last season ?

abbott is so over rated its untrue !

I take your opinions with a pinch of salt as they're largely a load of manure.

robboman - have you got a link to this alleged gesture?

Agreed, but respect works both ways... something he clearly lacks

considering he did an interview about his time here think it was on bbc website,saying how much he enjoyed his time here,and how he had such a good rapour with the fans especially second half of last season when he admits he couldnt get fit,i seriously doubt he would attempt to gesture anything malicious towards our fans....

What a difference 10 months make. Walking back after the game the same as I did last year when I couldn't believe the negativity of what I had seen and Charlton fans were saying how they had never seen a team come with a play as defensively as we did, to yesterday when we had them saying we deserved to win was a remarkable turnaround.

It shows that whilst some of the s*** we had last season (and some of it still remains, if only for a matter of time) that we had the abillity to at least play some decent stuff. Stephens and Furman are the heartbeat of this team and their ability to run the middle allows players to get forward and create chances. Stephens is the player who stands out with the natural ability but I think Furman has been the key man, his energy to be everywhere at any given time gives the opposition no time on the ball at all and so far no team has been able to have us on the backfoot for more than 5 minutes or so. Maybe those Bradford and Rangers fans were onto something when praising him?

We have looked superb at times. Don't get me wrong we still have our moments like their goal and Abbott being free 8 yards from goal, fortunatly the Pav of January onwards was playing and tried a fancy flick instead of going for goal himself, but overall there have been only a few moments like that.

Overall play football like we have and we won't be far off this season. So Dickov and his team have done the 1st part, lets see (and hope) they can get the next part right and find the consistency to keep it up!

considering he did an interview about his time here think it was on bbc website,saying how much he enjoyed his time here,and how he had such a good rapour with the fans especially second half of last season when he admits he couldnt get fit,i seriously doubt he would attempt to gesture anything malicious towards our fans....

He appeared give a little wave when they were celebrating in front of us. Nothing too malicious if you ask me but a clear attempt to get his point accross that he was happy too move on from us, as i am equally as glad he has aswell as he in no way, shape or form, would fit in with our current style of play.

What type of bloody gesture was it? Christ alive. Did he moon? Wave his todger at you? Start slipping Reuben a length with a smug grin on his face?

It seems to be the 'in' thing to bag on Abbott for some reason. It's a bit odd.

Abbot managed 13 goals last season, when out or unfit for a period of time, and in what we all agree was probably the most defensive and least attack minded team in decades.

To be honest that is a decent return, and I think Pav if fit will comfortably be a 15-20 goal a season striker in this division. That could have been with us, but instead it will be Charlton. I have no malice against him, didn't see any "gesture" but did hear large sections of the Oldham support giving him grief for most of the game. To be fair, if you cannot take it, don't give it out.

Good game. Enjoyed it a lot and could have won, but equally could have lost so decent point. There are times I have seen Latics start brightly, concede a goal and then fall apart - the strength to come back yesterday was very pleasing.

Jarret - soft foul / booking at the end, but the reaction (albeit over egged by some of the reports) is not excusable and he may well have to take additional punishment on the chin.

So our fans gave Abbott abuse yesterday, yet Hughes got a got a good reception last week?

Fuzzy logic from our lot..........

I'm guessing they see Hughes as a player who scored goals no matter what who also loved to put it about and play up to his 'bad boy' tag.

Whereas Pav started well but could hardly buy a goal after xmas and despite poor service did miss a hell of a lot of easy chances. he also didn't run around as much as some would like, also doesn't help him shake of the lazy tag when he was constantly out of breath after 20 mins (was again yesterday)

But most importantly Pav will always be linked to Penney by many of our fans and it was by far the most boring and useless football we have seen in a very long time.

Thats my guess anyway.

Edited by nava

What type of bloody gesture was it? Christ alive. Did he moon? Wave his todger at you? Start slipping Reuben a length with a smug grin on his face?

It seems to be the 'in' thing to bag on Abbott for some reason. It's a bit odd.

I thought the fans were OK towards Abbott until he made a point of turning round on his way back to the halfway line and giving it the big un after they scored. Unnecessary, especially as he must have known with half time coming up it was almost time for him to fade away.