Religion, Ain't It A Cracker?

Ackey

I think you are wide of the mark there, the bloke was a terrorist who was religious, he wasn't doing it in the name of religion. History is littered with Protestants who were Irish republicans, and a lot of the more recent ones would have been hardcore atheists.

"If there was no religion, good people would still do good thing and bad people would still do bad things - Religion has the capacity to make good people do bad things in the name of their God"

Well I'm not sure I buy that either. I think if they a prepared to do bad things in the name of their god then they would be asswipes without their god too. Maybe in that case many of them would be left without an excuse to do harm. But they would still be asswipes.

I think what we can certainly say is that religion doesn't prevent people from doing bad things (as many will claim). And if you think about it, even if it did, it would only be like having a dog on a leash.