Stayaways are not the problem

Nah, if he did care about the club he'd go and watch.

The club clearly cannot afford to build a new stand, and as for the matchday experience it's what you make it yourself, you have a drink, enjoy the craic, job done a good day and a good experience.

If people stand moaning at anything and everything then no wonder they don't enjoy themselves or the experience.

So tell me why 2000 + fans have stopped attending in the last 5 years? You are seriously deluding yourself if you think the stadium and matchday experience has nothing to do with it!?

So tell me why 2000 + fans have stopped attending in the last 5 years? You are seriously deluding yourself if you think the stadium and matchday experience has nothing to do with it!?

The matchday experience is the same for me now as its always been, things haven't changed that much since the 70's in terms of what you get on a matchday, a pint, a pie, a football match.

You make the match day experience not the club. The club dont make you sing, have a drink, have a pie etc, they just offer some basic stuff that is needed.

To an extent I agree. However, looking at a 3-sided stadium does not help. You can't have a drink in the stadium now, and pies run out before the end of half time. The club has to make an effort to entice the fans back otherwise why should we bother. Get my drift ;)

The matchday experience is the same for me now as its always been, things haven't changed that much since the 70's in terms of what you get on a matchday, a pint, a pie, a football match.

So in the chaddy its at most 2/3. Thinking about it I probably would have stopped coming to Oldham a while ago but when I was limiting my games for various reasons (mainly uni related) but we had good years so I started going more. If you had a reason to reduce going last year, say money was tight, you probably stopped going because we were awful but it was obvious we weren't awful enough to go down (so didn't have the reason ala Bradford City (h) under Moore). If the team is playing well it will increase attendances but it will also reduce the numbers of those who stop going because of other reasons.

I wonder how many of those fans who have stopped going were Lookersites (of the people I used to go with or met up with who no longer go its all of them). Whilst the stand had its faults it had a lot more positives than faults, you take away the positives and the team is bad people will stop going. I don't know how much it would have cost for the club to keep it open (especially as the excuse of being able to say we had started building so we can finish obviously no longer washes) but if the numbers keep dropping it would have been worth it, if it isn't already.

To an extent I agree. However, looking at a 3-sided stadium does not help. You can't have a drink in the stadium now, and pies run out before the end of half time. The club has to make an effort to entice the fans back otherwise why should we bother. Get my drift ;)

Some fans say they prefer non-league football now but still folow latics.. i imagine a 3 sided stadium is better than a field with maybe 2 stands if that?

Some fans say they prefer non-league football now but still folow latics.. i imagine a 3 sided stadium is better than a field with maybe 2 stands if that?

At the end of the day, whether you want to acknowldege it or not, we are losing fans by the bucket load. Furthermore, if the club continues to bury its head in the sand then you may well see latics playing in non-league football in a field. Perhaps then you will be happy :wink:

Edited by laticsmad

Far too many posts to quote, but one thing is for certain. As I've said before, there are personal reasons (some of you know what they are) that I can only make BP 3 or 4 times a season, but I don't give a stuff if we had to play at a 2 sided ground, have to piss in a bucket, be force fed a dog's hind leg pie or drink the rainwater, I will NEVER stop supporting Latics, the team I grew up with from MY home town.

When I can get up there, I love the entire day; the train journey, the walk to catch the bus to BP, arriving at the ground I have known and once lived quite close to for so long, meeting old and new friends and watching MY team, win, lose or draw. I even converted my old workmate from Bath into a Latic about 10 years ago and he loves it as much as I do.

Nothing, but nothing, will diminish my support, whether it's a trip to a run down BP, a visit to a new ground (don't care if it's Daggers or Wendies standard) or LP commentary. Why? Because I'm actually proud to be a Latic and will never be a stayaway through choice. Those that are / do, it's your choice. I just don't understand it.

See you at Brentford. Or maybe not. :latics::zigga::bblue2:

Edited by Bristolatic

Like.

We have a 3-sided stadium, no where to drink within the stadium, the pies run out before half-time, the owners don't seem to care and have no ambition, match day ticket are to expenisve for league 1 football. I could go on. Obviously these things do not matter to you. However, they most certainly do to thousnads who have stoped attending in the past few years.

Edited by laticsmad

We have a 3-sided stadium, no where to drink within the stadium, the pies run out before half-time, the owners don't seem to care and have no ambition, match day ticket are to expenisve for league 1 football. I could go on. Obviously these things do not matter to you. However, they most certainly do to thousnads who have stoped attending in the past few years.

Owners who 'dont care' but saved the club and have since put millions of their own money in? Unreal.

Owners who 'dont care' but saved the club and have since put millions of their own money in? Unreal.

let me put it another way. They no longer have any ambition for the club. They want out just as soon as possible. However, if perspective buyers are not found sooon I fear they may just walk.

Edited by laticsmad

At the end of the day, whether you want to acknowldege it or not, we are losing fans by the bucket load. Furthermore, if the club continues to bury its head in the sand then you may well see latics playing in non-league football in a field. Perhaps then you will be happy :wink:

perhaps you should look at the gates for the 3 games v teams that were in this division last season. There's nothing in it really. We lost fans last season, unsurprisingly, not this season.

perhaps you should look at the gates for the 3 games v teams that were in this division last season. There's nothing in it really. We lost fans last season, unsurprisingly, not this season.

Our attendances are a few hundread down on last season, and despite decent performances at homethis season attendances have dropped every home game so far. However, I was looking at the big picture when 5 years ago, and don't quote me on this, we averaging around 6500 fans a game at home in league one. It;s not looking good however you paint it :disappointed:

you've either missed my point.. or are just humouring my comment.. and i can't decide which.. :(

Our attendances are a few hundread down on last season, and despite decent performances at homethis season attendances have dropped every home game so far. However, I was looking at the big picture when 5 years ago, and don't quote me on this, we averaging around 6500 fans a game at home in league one. It;s not looking good however you paint it :disappointed:

Not for the 3 teams we've played we're not. I asked you to check, but you didn't bother. We are the grand sum of 13 fans down on last season. In total for the 3 games. Anyone who thinks Orient, Gas and Yeovil we going to be big attendances is deluded.

In 2001 we averaged under 5k, a saturday crowd of 4095 v Bristol City in Sept; 3496 for a mid-week game. Pick a year to make a point.

Our crowds have dropped back to the doldrums level, principally due to last season.

Not for the 3 teams we've played we're not. I asked you to check, but you didn't bother. We are the grand sum of 13 fans down on last season. In total for the 3 games. Anyone who thinks Orient, Gas and Yeovil we going to be big attendances is deluded.

In 2001 we averaged under 5k, a saturday crowd of 4095 v Bristol City in Sept; 3496 for a mid-week game. Pick a year to make a point.

Our crowds have dropped back to the doldrums level, principally due to last season.

So our average attendance figures for 2001 are almost 1000 less than this years average figures - with is currently around the 4k mark! Thanks for making my point :wink: BTW, I have watched latics for 25 years and I know from 1994 our attendances have gradually dropped. I'm also willing to bet that if attendances for this season continue then we are in for our lowest numbers since 1994. You really are grasping at straws! :blink:

Edited by laticsmad

I go in the main stand Upper and you can get a pint, I regularly also have a pie at half time, no problem.

I go in the Rocky Road. U can get beer and pies. And what difference does 3 sides make? I don't know about you but u go to watch the game on the pitch, not stare at the ugly mugs in the crowd. If that's what gets u off then become s steward and get paid to gawp at them. So many excuses. My only reasons for not going are because I'm at work for a lot of home games but when I'm not, and I can get a friend, I go. If I can't, then i don't. I don't like going alone!