latics v plymouth

Lucky escape mate

absolutely gutted i couldnt go today,missed a game like that and been wanting to see one like it for most games instead of the huffing and puffing we have been doing recently...

glad kelly got his goal,maybe its the confidence boost he needs to get on it more....has always been head n shoulders above feeney,complete waste of our budget,hasnt worked out for anyone get rid in jan if poss...now if we had a striker like bwp,i think its fair to say wed already be well and truly planted in the top 3.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for the first time, the opposition keeper wound up the Chaddy End until he was booked for time-wasting. After his dressing-down from the Ref, Button fastened on to everything Latics threw at him, but eventually he was pressed so hard that he self-destructed! :pow: He became undone after the third goal and lay motionless, face down, in the back of the net in total despair after Kelly's goal. :dance:

At the end, instead of telling them to zip up as he toggled [sic] off, Button had the good grace to applaud and give the thumbs up to his Chaddy End detractors. :grin:

Not for the first time, the opposition keeper wound up the Chaddy End until he was booked for time-wasting. After his dressing-down from the Ref, Button fastened on to everything Latics threw at him, but eventually he was pressed so hard that he self-destructed! :pow: He became undone after the third goal and lay motionless, face down, in the back of the net in total despair after Kelly's goal. :dance:

At the end, instead of telling them to zip up as he toggled [sic] off, Button had the good grace to applaud and give the thumbs up to his Chaddy End detractors. :grin:

The clap and thumbs up lasted to long and he kept giving it and then turning back and repeating it whilst getting Vs and wa%er signs in return. His applause of the chaddy especially whilst looking at the fans at the front abusing him went on for too long for it to be geniune in my opinion. I personally think it was a sarcastic thumbs up and was just waiting for him to flick the V's.

Especially as straight after this he went up to the Ref and started to rip into him before being restrained

Might be wrong but that was my veiw of it

Dean Brill's save at 2-2 won us that game.

Taking Wright Phillips off also helped!

Stephens, first touch gets worse every week.

Think Evina was took off as he would have been knackerd, never seen a left back make so many runs forward. He saw most of the ball in the 2nd half.

The save was really important must admit.

First home game for me this season and really enjoyed it - apart for all the moaning in the Main stand. Brill was being criticised from the first minute from "supporters" behind me, blamed him for their first goal but gave him no credit for the save which at 2-2 which won us the game. PD was right, playing against 9 men with all outfield players behind the ball makes it difficult - credit to Plymouth for a great defensive display and to Latics for keeping going, shame though on all you moaners !

First home game for me this season and really enjoyed it - apart for all the moaning in the Main stand. Brill was being criticised from the first minute from "supporters" behind me, blamed him for their first goal but gave him no credit for the save which at 2-2 which won us the game. PD was right, playing against 9 men with all outfield players behind the ball makes it difficult - credit to Plymouth for a great defensive display and to Latics for keeping going, shame though on all you moaners !

Yeah main stand has been known for its moaners at times. Although there was a right moaner in the chaddy nearby me today as ive explained in a previous post. Keep the faith :)

It took us too long to utilise the extra men. Kieran Lee (who is outstanding this year!) tried to overlap jones but jones ignored him for too long. Taylor used him and we then looked dangerous on that side...We looked lop-sided as evina was mainly on his own when he too SHOULD have had someone to overlap him.

We made bad decisions, shooting at silly times, passing too many times and often trying too hard to score...morais, slashed over when he should have just got some contact on the ball. Tounkare has to stop trying to head the ball to hard - let it hit you on the head and use the pace on the ball!!

I thought Plymouth deserved a point....i actually feel a bit sorry for them but i'll take the 3 points. Glad for kelly to get his first goal but i see nothing again in feeney as to why we brought him in.

Morais - nice touch, possibly tried too hard to impress but was definatly impressd with his close control and running with it.

Can't see how plymouth fans could argue with either of the 2 sent off - thought the second was a shocking elbow!! They could easy have had 3 off...

onwards and upwards....this league is as close as it will ever be (brighton excepted) and if we can keep doing well at home and continue to pick up odds and sods away - we won't be far off the playoffs!

Pretty much spot on Fruity...

Why was evina subbed? That baffled me.

I was also bemused when Evina went off as he was our main danger in the second half -

Next match i would go 442 with Black at LB and Evina in front of him- push Taylor over to the right and play Tounkare upfront with Kelly

Evina is definitely not a full back !!!!!!!

The clap and thumbs up lasted to long and he kept giving it and then turning back and repeating it whilst getting Vs and wa%er signs in return. His applause of the chaddy especially whilst looking at the fans at the front abusing him went on for too long for it to be geniune in my opinion. I personally think it was a sarcastic thumbs up and was just waiting for him to flick the V's.

Especially as straight after this he went up to the Ref and started to rip into him before being restrained

I don't disagree, but my '"good grace" interpretation came from the great restrain he had to show to button his lip and refrain from flicking the 'V's, once he had decided to walk away backwards facing the Chaddy.

I really think the people of Oldham need to start taking a look at what's happening on the pitch with this team.

I wasn't in the town when Joe Royle was in charge, but I remember enjoying everything about that League Cup run on Sportsnight. A small club banging in goals against bigger opposition and also in other games reports of great comebacks with centre halfs finishing games as centre forwards and scoring last gasp winners or equalisers.

I'm not for a second suggesting today was perfect. I thought Latics were pedestrian in the first half and needed the kick up the backside that going 2-1 down against 9 men gave them. But a manager who is prepared to risk losing the point a draw would give him in the chase for the two extra points from a win will do for me.

One defender substituted. Another stuck up front (and scoring the winner). Four strikers on the pitch at the end of the game (using a poetic licence to claim Taylor as a striker). And it worked too.

They've shown the same desire to win in other games too. Bristol Rovers and Colchester were matches Latics deserved more than a point from. They've also been prepared to have a go at places like Brighton and Peterborough and been unlucky in many ways to end up with nothing.

At a quick glance, this side is the 6th highest scoring team in the division. With a little bit more composure in front of goal they could easily be in the automatic promotion places. And while it's way to early to talk about being genuine promotion candidates, and today highlighted the frailties of the side as much as it did the fighting spirit, it would be a crying shame if those who have drifted away over the past decade or so don't come and have a proper look at Paul Dickov's Latics revolution and stick with it for the remainder of the season.

So what has the town got going on at Boundary Park?

- 2 points off automatic promotion

- capable of scoring, and conceding goals

- football predominantly on the floor

- width from the midfield and overlapping full backs

- create lots of chances

- prepared to go hell for leather to get a win

- a team that throws the kitchen sink at it when that's needed

Time for thousands of people to reconsider their Saturday routines. Because they really should be getting back to Boundary Park and climbing aboard the roller coaster for what will, hopefully, be one hell of a ride over the next couple of seasons.

I really think the people of Oldham need to start taking a look at what's happening on the pitch with this team.

I wasn't in the town when Joe Royle was in charge, but I remember enjoying everything about that League Cup run on Sportsnight. A small club banging in goals against bigger opposition and also in other games reports of great comebacks with centre halfs finishing games as centre forwards and scoring last gasp winners or equalisers.

I'm not for a second suggesting today was perfect. I thought Latics were pedestrian in the first half and needed the kick up the backside that going 2-1 down against 9 men gave them. But a manager who is prepared to risk losing the point a draw would give him in the chase for the two extra points from a win will do for me.

One defender substituted. Another stuck up front (and scoring the winner). Four strikers on the pitch at the end of the game (using a poetic licence to claim Taylor as a striker). And it worked too.

They've shown the same desire to win in other games too. Bristol Rovers and Colchester were matches Latics deserved more than a point from. They've also been prepared to have a go at places like Brighton and Peterborough and been unlucky in many ways to end up with nothing.

At a quick glance, this side is the 6th highest scoring team in the division. With a little bit more composure in front of goal they could easily be in the automatic promotion places. And while it's way to early to talk about being genuine promotion candidates, and today highlighted the frailties of the side as much as it did the fighting spirit, it would be a crying shame if those who have drifted away over the past decade or so don't come and have a proper look at Paul Dickov's Latics revolution and stick with it for the remainder of the season.

- create lots of chances

Time for thousands of people to reconsider their Saturday routines. Because they really should be getting back to Boundary Park and climbing aboard the roller coaster for what will, hopefully, be one hell of a ride over the next couple of seasons.

Fantastic post.

- create lots of chances

Good post, people who moan about the clubs ownership or stadium etc and use them as an excuse to not go, should reconsider what they do on a saturday afternoon, its better than you think :grin:

- create lots of chances

Spot on! :applause1:

There's a lot of Joe Royle-type philosophy about what's going on this season. I'm sure Rick Holden recognised it today - he must have been wishing he could have been given the opportunity to put some crosses in - and he would have loved the swashbuckling finish to the match.

Yeah i thought he was being sarcastic as well. i could be wrong but it looked like he was saying "w***ers". Always good to see you've got to an opposition player.

Fair play to Plymouth (even if they were dirty southern b*****ds), that was some of the best defending you'll see all season and they made bloody hard work of it. It looked like it was going to be one of those days but once we got the third, you could see us getting a fourth even though it was in injury time, because we'd had so much possession and created so many chances, all we needed was that bit of confidence and sharpness. Furman was superb, again, but Tounkara was MOTM for me - never stopped running and chasing lost causes, again. And it was great to see him snatch the ball off their keeper and place it when he was taking the p**s with his goal kicks. Feeney still isn't adding anything to the team. Agree with what a few people have said about Morais trying a bit too hard to impress and showboating instead of going for the simple pass, but aside from looking nervous he looks like he could be a decent player once he gets a bit of confidence. I really wish people wouldn't jump on players' backs if they don't play out of their skin immediately on their debut. If he's still giving the ball away and wasting chances after a few games, then you can shout "bloody hell, every single time, get him off". But 10 minutes into his first game, it's just daft.

I can't make my mind up if it's fair to judge jones just yet as IMO he's never a winger in a month of sundays.

I can't really understand why PD persists in playing him there....let's have a look at him in centre midfield in place of stephens, who again IMO could do with a wake up call.

I thought mvoto was solid again today, and a useful weapon to throw forward when chasing a goal.

I can't make my mind up if it's fair to judge jones just yet as IMO he's never a winger in a month of sundays.

I can't really understand why PD persists in playing him there....let's have a look at him in centre midfield in place of stephens, who again IMO could do with a wake up call.

+1