Attacking Set Peices

As it stands, dale stephans takes everything which can be classed as an attacking free kick....he generally shoots from free kicks or throws in an average cross and his corners tend to hit the first man or float out the back of the box. Who should be taking some of our set peices?

Stephans is surely tall enough to be a threat arially at them?!

Stephens delivers better corners than anybody else I've seen at BP.

How we attack that delivery is the problem.

As for free-kicks, he'll score 6 or 7 this season. Leave it as it is.

Agree there, with m'voto, tounkare and hazell etc we should be more of a threat from set pieces. It's rare for us to score headed goals from these.

I'd agree with the OP one some level. Stephens at the mo is playing like a drain, we have quite a few players playing well who look like they'd be more than decent with a set-piece and I'm a big believer of form being important in such matters. Stephens should still probably be at the front of the queue but it shouldn't be a queue of 1. I for one would like to see more than the basic set-piece too, it keeps the opposition honest.

As it stands, dale stephans takes everything which can be classed as an attacking free kick....he generally shoots from free kicks or throws in an average cross and his corners tend to hit the first man or float out the back of the box. Who should be taking some of our set peices?

I think one of the problems is that when he takes a free kick,his own team mates don't know what he is going to do.For example yesterday he took a free kick from outside the area on the left hand side and tamely hit it straight into the keepers hands when everyone was waiting at the far post and nobody else moved to try to fool the keeper into indecision.I've seen this happen many times this season included an appalling one at Southampton last week with a few minutes left we had all the big guns waiting at the far post for a good delivery and he hopeleesly blasted the ball way over the bar.

Yes I do think we have others who are just as capable,if not better at delivering good balls into the box,particularly the full backs.

Jones, Lee maybe even Evina would all be suited to taking corners/freekicks aswell. Should keep rotating who takes corners and freekicks depending on the side its on. If Jacobsen on hes more than capable of taking corner/freekick and possibly Morais. Hopefully they'll work on some moves on freekicks aswell, twice Taylor has scored for a move on a freekick that was almost identical (first used when Shez was here - when we won 4-3 against Millwall first game of season, and was used again this season against Brizzle Rovers i think)

Its defending coners and free kicks we struggle with,

I think one of the main problems is we bring everybody back when we concede one.

Consequently that invites the other team to bring everybody up.

It ends up with 20 players in our box on corners. Easy for the defender to lose the player he is marking.

So many players in the box is a recipe for a defensive mistake.

I noticed yesterday even when Plymouth were down to 10 men they still left one or two up front when we had a corner.

Latics should leave Taylor and maybe Alessandra up at corners which means they would have to leave at least 3 back - 5 players less congesting our box !!!!

Didn't do bad with his assist in open play. But I agree, I thought Morais was pisspoor at times and awesome at others. Easily beat a man, good skill and put in some tremendous balls - maybe let him take some set-pieces or perhaps give Lee a go.