Brill first goal and other musings...

He's done ok this season, especially when he's had little to do like at Dagenham and at home v Hudds, but after watching it back again and again i'm not sure he can be defended for that first goal last night, bad fumble then slow as anything getting back down to the rebound, totally avoidable - it's a shame because his handling had been good until then. And 6 clean sheets in 17 is a good ratio. Special mention for Rubes, Cureton made a mug of him, why doesn't he stay on his bloody feet? Spends more time on his arse than on his feet. We're lacking a leader on the field, I'm not saying Old Man Greegs would be the answer, but surely we would have seen that out with him on the field last night?

Not really looking for scapegoats but one or two amongst a collective let-down late on last night were more culpable than others. Still feeling very positive, and a point will see us into the top 6, although our short-comings will see us lacking in a genuine promotion challenge imo.

Having said that Latics is fun again, we would have given our right arm for entertainment like that last season. Reminded me a bit of the Portsmouth and Forest games under Royle - 5-0 up and cruising with ten minutes to go, before clinging on for dear life at 5-3! Turning point was Furman's shot which hit the post...

Bring on Dale or the Squire Knott, depending on the weather....

Edited by oafcprozac

He's done ok this season, especially when he's had little to do like at Dagenham and at home v Hudds, but after watching it back again and again i'm not sure he can be defended for that first goal last night, bad fumble then slow as anything getting back down to the rebound, totally avoidable - it's a shame because his handling had been good until then. And 6 clean sheets in 17 is a good ratio. Special mention for Rubes, Cureton made a mug of him, why doesn't he stay on his bloody feet? Spends more time on his arse than on his feet. We're lacking a leader on the field, I'm not saying Old Man Greegs would be the answer, but surely we would have seen that out with him on the field last night?

Not really looking for scapegoats but one or two amongst a collective let-down late on last night were more culpable than others. Still feeling very positive, and a point will see us into the top 6, although our short-comings will see us lacking in a genuine promotion challenge imo.

Having said that Latics is fun again, we would have given our right arm for entertainment like that last season. Reminded me a bit of the Potrtsmouth and Forest games under Royle - 5-0 up and cruising with ten minutes to go, before clinging on for dear life at 5-3! Turning point was Furman's shot which hit the post...

Bring on Dale or the Squire Knott, depending on the weather....

Prozac Ive made the token positive topic today there is only room for one on OWTB :wink:

I actually thought the turning point was when the ball fell to Evina 40 yards from goal with not a defender in sight.

His first touch was so poor it went straight to the keeper.

That was the real opportunity to bury the game.

Yeah, I remember saying to my boy, "We're getting a bit too cocky here, need to put this to bed properly..." I thought Furman had.... :disappointed:

Edited by oafcprozac

Yeah, I remember saying to my boy, "We're getting a bit too cocky here, need to put this to bed poperly..." I thought Furman had.... :disappointed:

By the way, on that first goal the ball was spinning viciously and I could tell Brill wasn't going to hold it.

He should have done much better than he did, but it was a nasty one for him.

By the way, on that first goal the ball was spinning viciously and I could tell Brill wasn't going to hold it.

probably the worst thing is that other teams will look at that video and realise

that if put under sustained pressure we will crack bigtime. even when 3-0 up.

The fumble could have happened to anyone, but he was still too slow in reacting to the follow-up...

Special mention for Rubes........ why doesn't he stay on his bloody feet? Spends more time on his arse than on his feet.

He seems susceptible to the watered pitch. :disappointed:

Having said that Latics is fun again, we would have given our right arm for entertainment like that last season. Reminded me a bit of the Portsmouth and Forest games under Royle - 5-0 up and cruising with ten minutes to go, before clinging on for dear life at 5-3! Turning point was Furman's shot which hit the post...

+1

If it hadn't been for that magnificent save from the Exeter keeper to keep out Stephens' free-kick right at the death, what a different story would be being told on here. It's a funny old game! :blink:

I have always supported Brill. I was pleased when we signed him and and thought he would improve. Also defended him in the past. However, the mistakes keep happening and i'm beginning to lose faith and patience. First half not a problem but second you could tell he was in a panic. Maybe it's time to look at other options....

I have always supported Brill. I was pleased when we signed him and and thought he would improve. Also defended him in the past. However, the mistakes keep happening and i'm beginning to lose faith and patience. First half not a problem but second you could tell he was in a panic. Maybe it's time to look at other options....

Fleming's just as gaffe prone, so where do we go? Old bionic knees? His kicking is worse than Brill's...

He seems susceptible to the watered pitch. :disappointed:

Well observed Diego.

Lots of Latics players were slipping in the second half as the frost took an effect, but none of the Exeter players were troubled, I wonder if their coaching staff spotted the change in pitch conditions and a need for a change in footwear, whereas Latics coaching staff didn't ?

Well observed Diego.

Lots of Latics players were slipping in the second half as the frost took an effect, but none of the Exeter players were troubled, I wonder if their coaching staff spotted the change in pitch conditions and a need for a change in footwear, whereas Latics coaching staff didn't ?

I'm no expert in turf management - you should see my lawn - so can anyone explain why the pitch was watered on an evening when the temperature was sub-zero? :unsure: