Yes it is!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9364110.stm

I've been saying this for years, sometimes people blame a lack of effort for defeats when in reality it can be a case of a team just not being good enough

Closest we've come to a bloody good side was under Venables and even then an average Spain ripped us a new one, yet we clung on to win on pens. Since then my interest has steadily waned. I get far more enjoyment now watching the cricket team - even losing 5-0 in Australia was worth getting up at stupid o'clock for. The footballers? I'd shut my curtains if they were playing in the back garden. Final straw for me was the 0-0 draw with Macedonia in the qualifying campaign for 2008.

As for your effort comment, lack of effort had a big bearing on many of that squad's World Cup, the ability is there - it's just coached out of them gradually. Even our most skilful player Joe Cole has become a shadow of his former self and when Fergie is playing for 0-0s very week you have to be worried that the players are simply not there nor coming through in any great numbers.

?????!!!!!!!!! You sure your not getting mixed up with Mancini?

Sorry, Fergie playing for 0-0s away from Home I meant - yeah City are boring away from Home and United are just as bad. Went to Eastlands for a 0-0, and Spurs. How the hell that lot are still unbeaten I don't know, he even set his team up very defensively when they nicked a 1-0 v Arsenal just before Christmas and that was at home. Average League

England's problem is from about the age of 10 far too many managers will opt for a good big'un or quick'un over the one with the skill. The phrase he's not big enough should never ever apply but you keep hearing stories about decent players not being taken on by clubs for that exact same reason. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, and a few more are not above 5ft8, (Messi was made his height by growth hormone) yet everyteam in the world (aside from the three they play for) would bite their own hand off to be able to pick them.

To make a balance side you need some height but you can find that a lot easier than some skill.