An Example

You are my Oldham.

My only Oldham.

You make me happy when skies are grey.

You never know just how much I love you.

So please don't take my Oldham away.

A terrace chant that is now more relevant than it possibly ever has been.

Its hard to sing that once you have buggered off from the town though :) I was quite happy when someone took me away from Oldham :lol: :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are my Oldham.

My only Oldham.

You make me happy when skies are grey.

You never know just how much I love you.

So please don't take my Oldham away.

A terrace chant that is now more relevant than it possibly ever has been.

Can I just quickly point out I don't want the club to move. I'm simply open to ideas.

Another point of context: I'm an Oldham fan because of my Dad. I've never lived in 'Oldham' as many on here see it.

If those of you who object to the move were to move to Manchester or Liverpool or wherever and were to have kids - would you thus raise them as United/City/Local Team fans or as Oldham fans?

I think it would pose an interesting dilemma to those unwilling to accept change, no?

Pine Villa played in the same town. Do Mongs fans claim to have won the F.A. Cup in 1988?

I suppose that depends which set of supporters you talk to...

Should the followers of Oldham Athletic 2004 claim to have a history beyond 2004 ? Should we be able to recongnise our history as Pine Villa ? Only difference between us and Dons at the moment is the location. The name has changed...

Is locality really THAT big of a deal ?

Edited by oafc0000

You fall in love with your wife.

Over the years she changes. Has a kid and gets fat. Gets thin again. Cuts her hair. Grows her hair. Having the kid makes her stressed. Seeing it do well makes her happy. Her dad dies. She never gets over it. You move house. You get a bigger house. You lose the house, get a smaller one. You fight sometimes. You have the best most passionate sex other times.

She's still your wife. You still love her. She's changed. You've changed.

Now, the obvious rebuttal will be that leaving the town is akin to cheating.

I guess that's where we draw the line. I see it as change, others as cheating.

Good fun this, interesting to look at both sides.

Heres some questions for everybody for everyone to consider?

1) MK Dons simply Wimbledon FC with a changed name? Or a brand new club that replaced Wimbledon FC?

2) Would a name change back to Pine Villa, which keeps within the history of the club, mean that you viewed the club as a new club with a new history, or the same club?

If it leaves Oldham, it won't be 'the club'. It'll be 'a club' but can't be Oldham Athletic in another town. Even the Mongs had the decency to change the name.

Only when they moved miles away to Milton Keynes. They moved from Wimbledon to Croydon (well Selhurst) without changing their name. I'd imagine thats a similar distance...

Brighton have been playing outside of Brighton (it's 15 mins or so on the train) for years. They haven't changed their name. Their new ground is not in Brighton.

Everton were hoping to move to Knowsley - feckin miles away. Would they have given up their history and become Knowsley Lions (see what I did there ;) )

There's also no such place as Tranmere, it's Birkenhead ;-)

I couldn't give a toss where we play. I've never lived in Oldham, I just went to school there and had been going to matches well before that. I support the club because of my Dad. I keep going and stay interested because of him and my mates.

Edited by latic12345

Only when they moved miles away. They moved from Wimbledon to Croydon (well Selhurst) without changing their name. I'd imagine thats a similar distance...

They moved to Selhurst on a temporary basis when they had to leave The Plough, whilst they investigated ways of moving back to Merton. It's a warning against leaving, without having a firm plan in place to get back to where you 'want' to be. As is the Oldham Rugby League story.

Another point of context: I'm an Oldham fan because of my Dad. I've never lived in 'Oldham' as many on here see it.

If those of you who object to the move were to move to Manchester or Liverpool or wherever and were to have kids - would you thus raise them as United/City/Local Team fans or as Oldham fans?

I think it would pose an interesting dilemma to those unwilling to accept change, no?

Interesting point. My dad is a Mancunian and a City fan who moved to Oldham. When the time came to take me to the football he took me to Oldham because that was the local club.

I don't have a family, but if and when the time comes I'll do the same. If my son decided he was going to be a fan of some other club that's fine by me, but I'd want to give him the opportunity to support his local club first.

They moved to Selhurst on a temporary basis when they had to leave The Plough, whilst they investigated ways of moving back to Merton. It's a warning against leaving, without having a firm plan in place to get back to where you 'want' to be. As is the Oldham Rugby League story.

I agree, whilst I'm open to moving permanently I do not want us to leave without a definite plan in place as Wimbledon found out to their cost - often being out-numbered in home games in the PL and sometimes barely scraping 4,000 in the PL.

I agree it was supposed to be temporary. It didn't materialise that way. I'm not joining either side of the debate here. I know how I feel and can completely understand people who feel the other way.

If we leave BP we'll never go back. I fear there's more to it than where. If we leave BP, without a clear plan of return or new ground, I think we'll go bust

Edited by latic12345

Earlier today I made this post: here

It was my take on how big the world is and how insignificant a move of a few miles is. It's one I hope people will take time to consider when thinking about the future of Latics and the continued need to move away from BP.

I also want to raise another point.

For almost a decade I was a Manchester Storm Ice Hockey Club fan. The day that club 'died' was one of the worst of my life. I felt the pain of loss like losing a family member. I'd grown up with Storm. Of great memories watching them with my family and friends. Of my Dad taking me on a school night much the disdain of my Mum who'd have to drag me out of bed the following day.

I could go on.

I lost Storm. They folded due to financial difficulties and were reborn as Manchester Phoenix. I still feel an affinity to the club, however they play at a considerably lower level and due to changing from being a kid/student to an adult/full time worker I'm not really able to go anymore. I make it once or twice a year like I do to a Latics game. The club still means a lot to me though.

They moved. They moved from Manchester to Altricham. That's 8 miles. It's from a Manchester postcode to a Warrington postcode. It's from BP to Ashton or BP to Failsworth and back again.

I can assure you that those who felt the loss of losing Storm were not bothered one bit. To know the sport - thanks to efforts far beyond those of TTA - was to remain alive in the area was all that mattered.

They're not direct comparisons. They're an example.

Don't take for granted what you have and don't be blinded by a line on a map.

But Ice Hockey is a :censored: American sport (relatively new here, and many fewer teams so people do have to travel and are unlikely to have a team on their doorstep) geared up towards franchise, disestablishment, re-establishment, moves.

Football isn't.

:wink: (only a little wink).

But Ice Hockey is a :censored: American sport (relatively new here, and many fewer teams so people do have to travel and are unlikely to have a team on their doorstep) geared up towards franchise, disestablishment, re-establishment, moves.

Football isn't.

yet......

Think the greed league could see the start of that within the next 5 years or so (starting with scrappin promotion and relegation between the championship and the premiership)

yet......

Think the greed league could see the start of that within the next 5 years or so (starting with scrappin promotion and relegation between the championship and the premiership)

Rugby has done... I see no reason why Football won't follow suit one day...

Rugby has done... I see no reason why Football won't follow suit one day...

Am surprised it hasn't done already, but think its only a matter of time before the PL break away completely and introduce their own set of regulations in place for PL clubs that would prevent the likes of us, blackpool, wigan etc ever getting into the PL

Football isn't.

Wink accepted.

Rest of what you say is complete and total bull:censored: though.

It's not American. The NHL is though, and that was founded by Brits and with the Stanley Cup made in England.

It's not new - first modern incarnation in the same decade as the FA's foundation.

Not a franchised sport in the UK any more than football is. Teams don't move that often, but do fold due to the difficult financial climate - something which puts the 'hard times' at a football club into pitiful context.

But if you want to dissmiss the pains of others, the lessons that can be learned from their mistakes and so on the crack on.

There's also no such place as Tranmere, it's Birkenhead ;-)

isnt there ?

So those pallets of goods i regulaly deliver to a car parts shop in Tranmere had better go somewhere else then ? (btw its just down the road from prenton park )

next youl be telling me theres no such place as Port vale .!

Edited by peanuts