Just got back

We had the chances to win comfortably. Amos made one save of note after we were already 1-0 down. Awful pitch not conducive to good football or out and out wingers imho. We should have took the lead in the 1st minute, Morais hitting the keepers legs when clean through. That was our only real chance of the first-half although Tonk's mis-hit cross almost dipped in under the cross-bar and although the official site states we hit the woodwork in the first-half, in reality it was the post behind the goal that Tonk hit with a powerful effort. Second half, the excellent Mantom's free-kick hit the post and Morais contrived to sky it when it was easier to score - if he'd simply allowed it to hit him it was a goal. Their goal when it came had a hint of offside about it both from the crosser and Howe, YET AGAIN we fail to defend a simple cross and their guy has an easy tap-in. They simply do not learn! Even then Sub Reid had a one on one with the keeper, instead of rounding the keeper with ease he snatched at it and sliced hopelessly well wide. Bristol were absolutely :censored:e, offered very little yet we lose. Lots of homework to do from an instantly forgettable game PD. Three games without a goal and the manager's first mini-crisis of sorts has ensued. We've done well to be in the mix until now but the lack of a goalscorer is going to cost us our season.

Amos - Nothing of note to do really, one decent save. Claimed crosses mostly kicked well - 6

Lee - Looked a good outlet in the first-half but yet again fades badly in the second-half - 6

Todd - Ok nothing of note really, tried to pass it at least- 6

Trotman - Shaky on the ball, didn't win as many headers as he normally does - 5

Evina - Looked very shaky in the first-half. Procession of fouls before finally getting booked for a handball -5

Morais - Two gilt-edged challenges. I don't care if he does love the freedom PD gives him, he needs to learn discipline away from home and to not leave us so exposed when he inevitably loses the ball on a cabbage patch, he's an enigma and great to watch but sometimes you want functional - 5

Furman - Quiet game, couldn't get on the ball - 5

Mantom - The one and only bright-spark. Looks good on the ball, good passing ability and a good engine. Crap set-pieces, bar the one that hit the post. - 7 MOM

Taylor - Poor game from Chris, he had the chance to show Penney what a fit Chris Taylor could do but offered very little - 5

Tonk - Needs a rest, plain and simple. His touch is getting heavier by the week - 6

Feeney - Not one effort on goal, but the ball does tend to stick. Thought he sort of did ok, but not the player we thought we were getting - 6

Subs:

White - Well off the boil - 4

Reid - Nothing against the lad, but for someone so new to the club, Needs to shape up, pisspoor effort when clean through - 4

Lewi - Couldn't get involved - 4

I think our main problem is stamina, we're playing a lot of kids that have not been used to playing week in week out. A few are close to burn out - especially Tonk and Lee...

I know some of that doesn't read that well, but I don't think our decline is terminal (yet!) but PD needs to realise that in away games we need to keep the ball and having indisciplined 'wanderers' like Taylor and Morais causes problems leaving us exposed. PD needs to get back to basics away from home and I'd say bring Lewi and Jones back in asap. Our shape is better and we keep the ball more and are much harder to break down. The full-backs link far better too. I lost count of the times Taylor was stood next to Evina today instead of giving him the option down the line. As for the strikers, they need shooting practice. Tonk needs a rest and Reid needs a rocket up the arse, he's only been here three weeks but has already been labelled a 'bad trainer' by his team-mates. Not good, when you are carrying the timber he is. It's hard not to be despondent tonight as that is the third time in little over a month we've played the bottom club and took TWO points from NINE. The most worrying aspects are our lack of goals (1 in 4 games) and failing to score in the last three. The attacking formation is fantastic when it works as it did v Hartlepool, but we have been found wanting in every game since - over to you PD. I have faith you will sort it….

Edited by oafcprozac

Well no alcohol has passed my lips today, i'm positive it hit the 'other' post….

Sorry prozac o4u's got it right. B)

Can't argue with much of the match report though, Jones on the right would've suited us better than Morais although maybe Morais should've played in place of Taylor. Wasn't Evina booked for stopping the fk being taken?

It's a pretty accurate report, even though Tonk's shot hit the post (I'm as certain of that as I can be). I actually thought Trotters looked quite solid in the early stages, winning a good percentage of headers and, in all honesty, it was long time before Hoskins got a sniff. It must have been getting on towards 1/2 an hour before they looked like troubling us.

For the first 15 minutes, I thought we looked good, we passed the ball well and Taylor and Morais looked as if they were going to give their full backs a roasting. Had Morais' effort gone in after about 30 seconds, I think we'd have ripped them apart. Brizzle are a poor side and you can see their defensive frailties; it was just a pity we didn't keep banging away.

Basically, our passing game went to pot. Maybe the pitch had something to do with it because it must have been like playing on a ploughed field. But it doesn't alter the fact that, instaed of being about 3-0 up in the first 20 minutes or so, we appeared to lose confidence becuase it wasn't going our way. Maybe that's one of the problems with such a young side. Every team in every division has a dip and it would seem that this is ours.

Trouble is, it isn't just one or two that faded today. Morais was ineffective after that first 15 minutes, White was ineffective period, Taylor lasted a bit longer and grafted, but also lost his way in the 2nd half. Evina worries me as a defender; good going forward but gets caught out of position defensively. Todd was solid and comfortable, Furman was in and out of the game, never really taking it by the scruff of the neck, like we know he can. Tonk works bloody hard and chases lost causes; he was very unlucky not have had at least two in the first half. Think what that would have done for his confidence.

Feeney holds the ball up well, but you can see why he hasn't bagged a League goal in about 2 years. He doesn't often get in goalscoring positions. Reid just doesn't look fit, but if Dickov had tracked him for some time and rates him, I'll trust his judgement that it will come good. He lacked composure when he chipped wide; he could have taken it round the keeper and slotted it in, I'm sure. I think the best of Reid could be worth waiting for as long as it doesn't take too long.

A real bright spot was Mantam. He looks mature well beyond his 18 years (OK he's 19 tomorrow, but you get the idea). Some of his ball control, and passing was excellent. Two 40 yard raking passes were pure quality, and it wasn't hoofball either. His set pieces, especially in the second half let him down but he was MOM for me too and he was a whisker away from nutting one in after what was probably our best move of the 2nd half.

So, what's the answer? We have a team that is capable of playing bloody good football when they get it down and pass it around. Apart from one lapse, we looked pretty solid at the back. I think it's what I've said earlier. When it's not going our way, the youngsters don't seem to believe in themselves, rush the passes, use the long ball when there's a better out ball and get pulled out of position too easily.

It may be different when Stephens is back, but I'm not sure you can drop Mantam after today's showing. It's agreed we need a striker who can feed off Tonk or Feeney, but they're damned hard to come by. Maybe we try Reid and Feeney from the off and see if Reid can feed off Feeney's lay offs. Maybe we try Alice with Tonk / Feeney / Reid.

I am sure PD will get right. As disappointing as today was, losing to the bottom club (not to mention a certain ex manager getting one over on us) is not the end of the world. Wolves beat Man Ure a couple of weeks ago, remember. Exeter won at Charlton today. It happens. We must have the youngest team in the division with a young, inexperienced management team. We can't expect miracles but, if someone had offered me our current League position at the start of the season, I'd have snapped their hand off.

Tuesday is a big game at MK Dongs and one we can win if we play the way we know we can. It would make all the difference, restore confidence and give the lads a boost. I wish I could be there.

Forgive the old cliche, but keep the faith.

It's a pretty accurate report, even though Tonk's shot hit the post (I'm as certain of that as I can be). I actually thought Trotters looked quite solid in the early stages, winning a good percentage of headers and, in all honesty, it was long time before Hoskins got a sniff. It must have been getting on towards 1/2 an hour before they looked like troubling us.

For the first 15 minutes, I thought we looked good, we passed the ball well and Taylor and Morais looked as if they were going to give their full backs a roasting. Had Morais' effort gone in after about 30 seconds, I think we'd have ripped them apart. Brizzle are a poor side and you can see their defensive frailties; it was just a pity we didn't keep banging away.

Basically, our passing game went to pot. Maybe the pitch had something to do with it because it must have been like playing on a ploughed field. But it doesn't alter the fact that, instaed of being about 3-0 up in the first 20 minutes or so, we appeared to lose confidence becuase it wasn't going our way. Maybe that's one of the problems with such a young side. Every team in every division has a dip and it would seem that this is ours.

Trouble is, it isn't just one or two that faded today. Morais was ineffective after that first 15 minutes, White was ineffective period, Taylor lasted a bit longer and grafted, but also lost his way in the 2nd half. Evina worries me as a defender; good going forward but gets caught out of position defensively. Todd was solid and comfortable, Furman was in and out of the game, never really taking it by the scruff of the neck, like we know he can. Tonk works bloody hard and chases lost causes; he was very unlucky not have had at least two in the first half. Think what that would have done for his confidence.

Feeney holds the ball up well, but you can see why he hasn't bagged a League goal in about 2 years. He doesn't often get in goalscoring positions. Reid just doesn't look fit, but if Dickov had tracked him for some time and rates him, I'll trust his judgement that it will come good. He lacked composure when he chipped wide; he could have taken it round the keeper and slotted it in, I'm sure. I think the best of Reid could be worth waiting for as long as it doesn't take too long.

A real bright spot was Mantam. He looks mature well beyond his 18 years (OK he's 19 tomorrow, but you get the idea). Some of his ball control, and passing was excellent. Two 40 yard raking passes were pure quality, and it wasn't hoofball either. His set pieces, especially in the second half let him down but he was MOM for me too and he was a whisker away from nutting one in after what was probably our best move of the 2nd half.

So, what's the answer? We have a team that is capable of playing bloody good football when they get it down and pass it around. Apart from one lapse, we looked pretty solid at the back. I think it's what I've said earlier. When it's not going our way, the youngsters don't seem to believe in themselves, rush the passes, use the long ball when there's a better out ball and get pulled out of position too easily.

It may be different when Stephens is back, but I'm not sure you can drop Mantam after today's showing. It's agreed we need a striker who can feed off Tonk or Feeney, but they're damned hard to come by. Maybe we try Reid and Feeney from the off and see if Reid can feed off Feeney's lay offs. Maybe we try Alice with Tonk / Feeney / Reid.

I am sure PD will get right. As disappointing as today was, losing to the bottom club (not to mention a certain ex manager getting one over on us) is not the end of the world. Wolves beat Man Ure a couple of weeks ago, remember. Exeter won at Charlton today. It happens. We must have the youngest team in the division with a young, inexperienced management team. We can't expect miracles but, if someone had offered me our current League position at the start of the season, I'd have snapped their hand off.

Tuesday is a big game at MK Dongs and one we can win if we play the way we know we can. It would make all the difference, restore confidence and give the lads a boost. I wish I could be there.

+1

100% agree - didn't go to the game but my thoughts exactly re: our dip in form etc

Would be naturally disappointed were we not to get in the top 6 come May, but in perspective anything above 10th, added to the turnaround in football, would be an improvement on last season so we are doing bloody well when all is considered.

If we don't make it in May or do and don't go up, then the team will ineviatbly change with players moving on - hopefully PD being here may sway some to stay with us, but if not, that is football and us and fans and PD will accept it, deal with it and support the next team of players that will play for us.

Lets enjoy the ride, hope for the best and see where we get come May.

KTF

Edited by shefflatic

Brooke would work well with Feeney or Tonk..

My thoughts are that a lot of our players looked tired, and that there were too many loanees who I didn't know. I suppose the problem is that maybe the loaonees are there because our regulars are tired. Definitely should be the chance for a few of our squad to step forward anyway.

And, for the record, may I be the first person to say that he believes that Tonk hit the real post, yet admit that he was to some degree drunk whlist making that assessment?

Reuben had a :censored:, had a :censored:, Reuben had a :censored:!

Once again a game lost because we've failed to put away our chances. Feeney, Tonk, Reid arent going to get you goals, Dickov. On the playing side of the club, this is what should be taking priority in the summer.

Once again a game lost because we've failed to put away our chances. Feeney, Tonk, Reid arent going to get you goals, Dickov. On the playing side of the club, this is what should be taking priority in the summer.

Absoutly quality that! He seemed to like it too.

After overnighting it in Bristol, I've just got back to Durham, so can type my comments (as opposed to using my phone).

Amos was my MOM- he had more than one save to make. The save he made from the FK in the second half- he made look a lot easier than it was.

Sam, played well too and was easily the best outfield player, I thought Feeney was OK, Taylor when he got the ball was similar, but he didn't get the ball often enough and Tonk looked like he might be getting back to some of his earlier form early on but faded again second half- think it might be a case of struggling to play 2 games in a week, again.

Morais was very off colour- that miss was an absolute shocker.

Evina was lucky to stay on- he could have easily got booked about a minute before he did, after a very cynical pull back on their winger. When he did get booked for handball (I couldn't tell you if it was for certain a handball, but that is what he got booked for), I thought Dickov was going to sub him (Black was warming up).

Todd and Trotman kept their front 2 very quiet until about 5 minutes before they scored.

Furman seemed to be a bit off colour.

Lee I'm unsure on- their wingers were good and he did better against his that Evina did but I think I saw something on here last night about him being someone's MOM wouldn't agree with that.

I thought Reid was right to shoot when he did, at the end, as the ball sat up nicely for that sort of effort. But I wonder if his pit-stop was an indication that perhaps he wasn't well.

However, for a Dave Penney side who are bottom of the league, they didn't play like it. I can see why they were bottom, but they had quiet a few new faces since january. Kalala had a very good game, he protected the back four very well, and kept the ball (he only really passed it sideways but he very rarely gave the ball away). Their new goalie, who I assume is on loan, as he looked quiet far too old to be a youngster (either that or he's had a very hard life) had a good game. Their wingers played well- worryingly for us as it seems to be a definate weakpoint and the front 2 were good as well, it was Howe's first goal for them so I assume he's on loan too.

I'm not so keen on the easy access for the players to that section between the standing bit and the seats, although Reid and White both made very good use of it :grin:. In hindsight I think some away fans could take liberties with players that way. If their sub who gave the fans some stick was the ginger one he was massive and in all honesty he got a bit of ginger abuse from some of our fans. I didn't hear the Die Penney stuff but that is disgraceful.

Oh and Kudos to that 4/5 year old who showed how to waste time at the end- I hope Diego was watching. Even though it annoyed me a bit too much.

Incidentally, I saw quiet a few good corners by an oldham player yesterday- the taker was Dean Brill, maybe he should be giving some other players lessons.

If their sub who gave the fans some stick was the ginger one he was massive and in all honesty he got a bit of ginger abuse from some of our fans. I didn't hear the Die Penney stuff but that is disgraceful.

Nah it wasn't the ginger guy, he got a bit of stick but took it fairly well. It was the sub with short dark-hair, he only went passed once or twice but the 2nd time was when he gave us some stick. Banter is fine but it's not on for players to mock fans about money spent watching their team play all over the country.

Didn't hear any Die Penney stuff but if true then I echo your sentiments.

Nah it wasn't the ginger guy, he got a bit of stick but took it fairly well. It was the sub with short dark-hair, he only went passed once or twice but the 2nd time was when he gave us some stick. Banter is fine but it's not on for players to mock fans about money spent watching their team play all over the country.

Didn't hear any Die Penney stuff but if true then I echo your sentiments.

I will confess to being the, "gingerophobe," but some of my best friends are ginger.

I also missed the "Die PEnney" stuff and the lady copper stuff, all a bit wmbarrassing.

is that when he looked looked into the crowd as if you were morons?

i hope so, and rightly so