The Next One(s)?

Its well known that we are due a pretty big player turnaround this close season – with only (I think!) Furman, Taylor, Stephens (though he’s a goner), Lee, Bembo-Lita, Millar, Feeney & Jones actually contracted to the club after end of June.

I’d imagine that with the playing budget cut again; we’ll be even more tight on players than ever before – so; youth will I’m sure have to play a part in the 1st team squad. Now, be that on the bench ‘making the numbers up’ or actually pushing for / gaining a starting place we won know until we see how the squad shapes up.

So, who out of the 1st year scholars could end up ‘doing a Millar’ and by that I mean playing for the 1st team whilst still on school-boy terms & who out of the 2nd year scholars should be offered pro deals?

I believe Tarkowski is coming to the end of his 2nd year apprentice deal? Off what I’ve seen of him (1 reserve game, 1 youth game & the Brighton 1st team game) which isn’t much to garner an opinion on granted; I’d say that whilst he seems to lack a bit of pace on the turn; he did look very composed on the ball and strong in the air. If it was down to me; he’s be getting a 1 year pro deal with the option for another 2 subject to development.

Anyone else????

Tarky will get a pro contract from what I heard taggart is a big fan of his.

I can see McGrath millar bembo lita all having a impact next season. Ollernshaw will be gone so will a few others

Isn’t his deal up this summer too?

I saw a bit of him over the previous 2 years when he was a scholar & I rated him – quick, good feet and caused problems – but i did worry about his physicality & size.

He’s had an absolute mare with his injury this season & I doubt very much he’ll be offered a new deal; based purely on his terrible injury record; which is a shame but that’s football.

McGrath should be given a short-term deal to prove his fitness, he's a very good player who should be given another chance.

Connor Hughes is a player who's impressed me from the youth side, pacey winger who's hard to deal with but he can be a little inconsistent. Tarkowski will get a deal but I'm not sure about him myself. Winchester is certain to be a pro next season. Jack Laird has good potential as well upfront, worth a new deal.

McGrath should be given a short-term deal to prove his fitness, he's a very good player who should be given another chance.

Connor Hughes is a player who's impressed me from the youth side, pacey winger who's hard to deal with but he can be a little inconsistent. Tarkowski will get a deal but I'm not sure about him myself. Winchester is certain to be a pro next season. Jack Laird has good potential as well upfront, worth a new deal.

Jack Laird is a first year apprentice, so there is still a year to go before any decision needs to be made on him.

The two names already mentioned (Tarkowski & Winchester) are the only shoe-ins, I'd say. Then it will come down to the make-up of the squad for next season. Personally, I'd like to see Connor Hughes and Matty D Carr offered a one-year deal also and even then, you'd feel that Ryan Burns and Greg Kidd would be a bit unlucky to miss out...

Jack Laird is a first year apprentice, so there is still a year to go before any decision needs to be made on him.

The two names already mentioned (Tarkowski & Winchester) are the only shoe-ins, I'd say. Then it will come down to the make-up of the squad for next season. Personally, I'd like to see Connor Hughes and Matty D Carr offered a one-year deal also and even then, you'd feel that Ryan Burns and Greg Kidd would be a bit unlucky to miss out...

I was hoping that You & Museum Da Latique would post on this thread as I know that you 2 in particular watch most of the Youth team games.

Interesting that you think so many should be offered deals guess well see on that front over the next few weeks.

One small point dont you think that Burns is a tad small & lacks enough strength to make the step up to senior football? Just an observation from the 2 games Ive seen him play this season; he was brushed & pushed off the ball too easily for me..............

Edited by slystallone

One small point – don’t you think that Burns is a tad small & lacks enough strength to make the step up to senior football? Just an observation from the 2 games I’ve seen him play this season; he was brushed & pushed off the ball too easily for me..............

Possibly and he certainly hasn't come on the way Winchester has. It's a shame because at the start of the season, he looked a real prospect.

Oh, and I certainly don't think that six pro-deals will be offered. It may end up being just Tarky and Winchester...we'll know in the next fortnight.

I was hoping that You & Museum Da Latique would post on this thread – as I know that you 2 in particular watch most of the Youth team games.

Interesting that you think so many should be offered deals – guess we’ll see on that front over the next few weeks.

One small point – don’t you think that Burns is a tad small & lacks enough strength to make the step up to senior football? Just an observation from the 2 games I’ve seen him play this season; he was brushed & pushed off the ball too easily for me..............

Not sure how many pro contracts the club can afford to offer.

Tarkowski has made great strides after a long lay off with injury. He is quicker then he looks and it would be a surprise if he wasnt given a pro.

Winchester looked head and shoulders better than his team mates just after his debut at Accrington but has suffered from getting few games and navvying between midfield (where I think he is better) and full back. Should be offered a deal.

Of the rest the only one I would take a punt on is Connor Hughes.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to offer our own lads pro contracts instead of getting new players in from different teams ?

Yes but would they be good enough for next season? If not they are taking some of the budget for next season that could be needed for players with a good enough standard to play in League 1.

Brooke

Bembo

Furman

Lee

Stephens

Taylor

Jones

Feeney

Millar

All the ones contracted for at least another year..

Thats a decent midfield already in place (Stephens will probably go but Jones will be fine if he gets the chance..)

We'll probably take the option up on Morais deal.. Add Evina and Reid to that aswell most likely.. Hopefully Black gets new deal..

Tarky and Winchester will get the pro deals almost certain.. Club probably add another one to that..

BrookeBembo

Furman

Lee

Stephens

Taylor

Jones

Feeney

Millar

All the ones contracted for at least another year..

Thats a decent midfield already in place (Stephens will probably go but Jones will be fine if he gets the chance..)

We'll probably take the option up on Morais deal.. Add Evina and Reid to that aswell most likely.. Hopefully Black gets new deal..

Tarky and Winchester will get the pro deals almost certain.. Club probably add another one to that..

I thought Ryan's deal was up end of this season? Didnt realise he had another year??

If he has as good a coming pre-season as he had this one; hopefully he'll be pushing for a starting spot for 2011/2012.

IMO Whether Morais & Reid are signed up will totally depend on how much they are after & how much of the total wage 'pot' the club (PD & SC) are prepared to use on those 2 players...........

I thought Ryan's deal was up end of this season? Didnt realise he had another year??

If he has as good a coming pre-season as he had this one; hopefully he'll be pushing for a starting spot for 2011/2012.

IMO Whether Morais & Reid are signed up will totally depend on how much they are after & how much of the total wage 'pot' the club (PD & SC) are prepared to use on those 2 players...........

Got a 2 year contract last season (i think..)

Reid probably has a good chance of new contract considering we had to pay to get him.. Morais as he adds something different..

Possibly and he certainly hasn't come on the way Winchester has. It's a shame because at the start of the season, he looked a real prospect.

Oh, and I certainly don't think that six pro-deals will be offered. It may end up being just Tarky and Winchester...we'll know in the next fortnight.

I think we'll be back to the summer of '98, with most of the second years getting deals to bulk out the squad - with very few 'incomings' of a permanent nature….

I think we'll be back to the summer of '98, with most of the second years getting deals to bulk out the squad - with very few 'incomings' of a permanent nature….

That's not what I'm hearing. I'm being told that it could just be the two pro-deals but my information is coming from a slightly 'bitter' source, so I'm not going into detail. It will all be out very soon now...

Just to confirm, Brooke is contracted to next summer (2012).

brooke really hasnt impressed me, he's been anonymous for most games Ive seen him . Last time he played I didnt realise he was playing till he fell over after 20 minutes, think Wolfy was stronger

brooke really hasnt impressed me, he's been anonymous for most games Ive seen him . Last time he played I didnt realise he was playing till he fell over after 20 minutes, think Wolfy was stronger

He looked a different player in pre-season, think that his injury has set him back along way.. However hopefully a pre-season like last and not getting injured and being able to start the season we might see a different brooke..