Reuben Reid

Reid continued: "I need a run of games to get a level of consistency to my game. I don't think I have started more than two games in a row.

thats a key point though ,

Thats my argument with the likes of Feeney and Jones , they have never been given more than 2 games to get fit and sharp*

*by that I mean Jones in his natural position

Edited by razza699

At least he's been 'big enough' (ha!) To admit he's been carrying a heck of a lot of "junk in his trunk" and has been short of fitness.

Hopefully; the goal will do him the power of good confidence wise and he can go on goal run like he did at Walsall earlier in the season.

For me, he's shown a bit of potential - but that has clearly been hampered by a woeful lack of fitness and weight issues. If he sorts those out; he could be pretty darn useful for us.

He scored 3 goals for Walsall In 18 apps, so he never had it :lol:

He scored six for Walsall in all competitions (Tonk has 7) , not bad for someone playing in a team at the arse end of the league. If you've got a PLayer subscription watch the goals, not the finishes of someone who should be written off just yet.

Edited by oafcprozac

Reid continued: "I need a run of games to get a level of consistency to my game. I don't think I have started more than two games in a row.

thats a key point though ,

Thats my argument with the likes of Feeney and Jones , they have never been given more than 2 games to get fit and sharp*

*by that I mean Jones in his natural position

I remember Royle being criticised during in the late eighties and early nineties for his team selections, as he used to pick the same players week in week out; if someone had a run of bad games, he used to keep playing them week in week out until they found form. I do think (especially now we're safe) we should be picking 2 strikers and sticking with them week in week out. PD was tracking Rueben for a while, so he's stuck his neck out, paid some money and therefore he should play him in every game no matter what IMO.

Actually it's 18 goals 52 games. Still not exactly prolific is it ?

1 in 3 lee, that's about right for a decent striker. You need to lower your expectations a little. As even during the good old days we rarely had anyone better than a 1 in 3 'er…no disrespect but perhaps those around your age - late teens early twenties compare everything to the be all and end all of the Premier League and the scoring exploits of the top strikers.

Our Top Scorers in the last 10 years

01/02 Eyres 13

02/03 Eyres 16

03/04 Vernon 14

04/05 KIllen 15

05/06 Beckett 18

06/07 Porter 23

07/08 Davies 14

08/09 Hughes 18

09/10 Abbott 13

10/11 ????

Only once in 30 odd years has anyone scored over 20 league goals for us, but then again only once in that time have I ever known our top-scorer to be in single figures (Allott 8 in 98/99). Unfortunately over the last 15 years or so, prolific strikers have been in short-supply at Boundary Park with maybe Beckett, Hughes, Porter, Wijnhard (very briefly) and arguably McCarthy bucking that trend but for everyone of those there's a Steve Whitehall or a Tonk.

BUT to make a decision on Reid from the fleeting glimpses we have seen is wrong, the lad can score goals no doubt about it. Hell, I wouldn't even write Feeney off yet BUT both need to play games week in week out only then can we decide that they are :censored:….too many latics fans expect immediate miracles it takes time to adjust playing for a new club and when hampered by injury or being in and out of the team it means there's no continuity.

Edited by oafcprozac

Actually it's 18 goals 52 games. Still not exactly prolific is it ?

Shearer averaged just over 1 in 5 between the age of 18 and 22. If you can find me 5 other sides in this division who have a striker who has bettered 1 goal every 3 games over an extended number of seasons let me know. I've not looked, these mythical beasts may exist in large numbers, but you don't get many at any level of the game.

Reid looks like an instinctive striker to me. His misses v Huddersfield and Bristol Rovers stand out at the moment, but we haven't had anybody else this season who has got in to those positions repeatedly.

The fact his goal last Saturday was the result of slick footwork close to goal is mighty promising. A creative foil alongside him who generates space wouldn't go amiss.

Shearer averaged just over 1 in 5 between the age of 18 and 22. If you can find me 5 other sides in this division who have a striker who has bettered 1 goal every 3 games over an extended number of seasons let me know. I've not looked, these mythical beasts may exist in large numbers, but you don't get many at any level of the game.

Reid looks like an instinctive striker to me. His misses v Huddersfield and Bristol Rovers stand out at the moment, but we haven't had anybody else this season who has got in to those positions repeatedly.

The fact his goal last Saturday was the result of slick footwork close to goal is mighty promising. A creative foil alongside him who generates space wouldn't go amiss.

Someone who points out the same facts as I do re: Shearer, when Dalglish signed him from Southampton he was signing potential - nobody predicted he would go on and score the amount he did. In fact the press took just as much interest in Man Utd signing Dion Dublin from Cambridge that same summer. Dalglish has taken a similar gamble on Andy Carroll, a lad that had done nowt until the second half of last season but since day one in the Prem looks a helluva player.

I think if Reid is given an extended run he will come good, and Feeney has not become :censored:e overnight either, more possibly a victim of the system and rotation his manager cares to employ...

I'm not doubting him but his record recently since leaving Rotherham has been :censored:e.

How many games has he played(in all comps) since leaving Rotherham? The lad's a finisher, give him the ball IN the box and as he proved last week he will score goals...

I think Reid will come good after a proper pre season with us. Feeney it's a different story, something must be wrong if he is behind a cb in the pecking order for a place up front!

There's a few reasons why Feeney has never got going

1) Missed a fair chunk of pre-season

2) Niggling injuries

3) International call-ups

4) Never starting more than two consecutive games because of the above and the manager's tinkering

Feeney was DIckov's marquee signing, he is as much to blame for showing so little faith in a player HE signed, I add Jones to that as well and possibly his lost faith in Lewi as his biggest cock-ups of the season...

Edited by oafcprozac