Ryan Bertrand

He really couldn't defend for shiot when he started here but improved like nobody I've seen before. I can't get my head around what happens at the Premiership youth teams.

Wasn't he playing for Chelsea- he would have done well to have done any defending in over 50% of his games.

Definately agree with your second point by the time he left he had come on leaps and bounds and was arguably our best player (position wise) when he did leave

I fully agree with LL & Rude....I don't think I can recall a player developing & improving as quickly & as impressively as Ryan in my time watching Latics.

His debut (seem to think it was vs Orient IIRC; sure someone will correct if not) he looked nervous; unsure, timid and lightweight. By the time he said his goodbye's after the brilliant Leeds away win - he was leaving us the best LB in the division IMO.

I met up with him around early december time at the Leeds Marriott; he was with the England U-19s - spoke to him at Breakfast and he had nothing but good things to say about the club, Shez and the players. Was a polite and nice young lad.

Chuffed to bits he's had his 1st taste of Prem football and has a solid performance and an assist to his name already. I'd like to think we've played a significant part in his development....and who knows where his career will take him now; he's got a real chance to make it 'big' - good luck to him I say

I fully agree with LL & Rude....I don't think I can recall a player developing & improving as quickly & as impressively as Ryan in my time watching Latics.

His debut (seem to think it was vs Orient IIRC; sure someone will correct if not) he looked nervous; unsure, timid and lightweight. By the time he said his goodbye's after the brilliant Leeds away win - he was leaving us the best LB in the division IMO.

I met up with him around early december time at the Leeds Marriott; he was with the England U-19s - spoke to him at Breakfast and he had nothing but good things to say about the club, Shez and the players. Was a polite and nice young lad.

Chuffed to bits he's had his 1st taste of Prem football and has a solid performance and an assist to his name already. I'd like to think we've played a significant part in his development....and who knows where his career will take him now; he's got a real chance to make it 'big' - good luck to him I say

Yeh, I think he started to develop at Latics but Norwich really matured him at Championship level.

I think it was obvious by the end of his short time with us he could easily make the step up to Championship level and was comfortably our best player at the time also.

Linking in with earlier comments about Danny Philliskirk, perhaps Berty could be an example of how it could be done and benefit from a mix of Chelsea youth coaching intermixed with real world first team action. Fair play to the lad and lets hope he starts to get a bit more exposure for Chelsea now

Ryan B's career move is the example as Danny P though -) moved to Chelsea from Gillingham for a fee as a 16 year old; just like DP.

So, in exactly the same way (its all hypothetical I know) would) be able to have Oldham, Norwich, Nottingham Forest & Chelsea on his footballing CV if he had stayed at Gillingham?

He exposed himself to better coaching, better facilities and better opportunities by moving to Chelsea.....and now he has a real chance to make a name for himself. Shows that you don't neccessarily go backwards at a big club if you're managed correctly

• 11 months later...