58 years ago....

I was asked on Friday what was the first game I saw Latics play, and I had to admit I can’t remember. :blush: I lived no’but a cock-stride from BP and spent loads of time there, even on non-match days, but I can’t remember my first match attendance.

What I do remember vividly is the 1952-53 season. Latics made a great start to the season, winning eleven and drawing six of the first eighteen matches and scoring 35 goals in the process. After losing two games in November, one at home against nearest rivals Port Vale, the team won six on the trot, including a 3-0 home win against Port Vale in the 2nd round of the F.A. Cup, and by mid-January they were well-established as Leaders of the Third Division North. Then they won only one of the next eleven games, losing six of them and giving Port Vale hope of claiming the title.

The rot was stopped with a 3-0 home win against Accrington Stanley on Good Friday and then came the crunch match at Port Vale the following day. That was my first away match watching Latics at the age of nine. In front of a crowd of 24,499 at Vale Park, Latics secured a 1-1 draw to retain the initiative in the League. Then three wins and four draws in the last seven games won the Club’s first Championship after 46 years of League football, becoming the first ever Lancashire club to gain promotion to Division Two. The last two home games of that season saw crowds of 23,679 against Halifax Town and 27,681 against Stockport County.

Back in Oldham, the news that Latics had won promotion, with a 0-0 draw at Bradford City, was relayed to cinema-goers on the screen at the Gaumont, and announced at the Rep in a final curtain speech.

The Council gave the club a Civic Reception and the Mayor told the team and officials that they had done a good job of work for Oldham and once again put the town on the map. Player-manager George Hardwick said “We, as players, feel our efforts are appreciated not only by the ‘bob-enders’, but by all the town”.

Oh how times and attitudes have changed, eh?

I was asked on Friday what was the first game I saw Latics play, and I had to admit I can’t remember. :blush: I lived no’but a cock-stride from BP and spent loads of time there, even on non-match days, but I can’t remember my first match attendance.

What I do remember vividly is the 1952-53 season. Latics made a great start to the season, winning eleven and drawing six of the first eighteen matches and scoring 35 goals in the process. After losing two games in November, one at home against nearest rivals Port Vale, the team won six on the trot, including a 3-0 home win against Port Vale in the 2nd round of the F.A. Cup, and by mid-January they were well-established as Leaders of the Third Division North. Then they won only one of the next eleven games, losing six of them and giving Port Vale hope of claiming the title.

The rot was stopped with a 3-0 home win against Accrington Stanley on Good Friday and then came the crunch match at Port Vale the following day. That was my first away match watching Latics at the age of nine. In front of a crowd of 24,499 at Vale Park, Latics secured a 1-1 draw to retain the initiative in the League. Then three wins and four draws in the last seven games won the Club’s first Championship after 46 years of League football, becoming the first ever Lancashire club to gain promotion to Division Two. The last two home games of that season saw crowds of 23,679 against Halifax Town and 27,681 against Stockport County.

Back in Oldham, the news that Latics had won promotion, with a 0-0 draw at Bradford City, was relayed to cinema-goers on the screen at the Gaumont, and announced at the Rep in a final curtain speech.

The Council gave the club a Civic Reception and the Mayor told the team and officials that they had done a good job of work for Oldham and once again put the town on the map. Player-manager George Hardwick said “We, as players, feel our efforts are appreciated not only by the ‘bob-enders’, but by all the town”.

Oh how times and attitudes have changed, eh?

Couldn't we just do with gates like that now!

Couldn't we just do with gates like that now!

Never seen BP with more than 18,500 in it.. Would be surreal to watch Latics in a home game with that many people.

To be fair though we were playing Halifax, that was always going to be a crowd puller.

Never seen BP with more than 18,500 in it.. Would be surreal to watch Latics in a home game with that many people.

To be fair though we were playing Halifax, that was always going to be a crowd puller.

How many did the Rochdale Rd. End hold at that time?

And the highest ever at BP was? (not a football match)