• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it'd have made pre season exciting had he chosen to give a year to Latics (and probably put a fair bit on the gate), I'm far from convinced that he would have worked out on the pitch.

Look at Sol Campbell's struggle when he dropped into League 2 with Notts County. The facts are that, at United he's surrounded by top class players who can make the most of his passing ability. They know when and where to make a run.

I don't think dropping a player with his qualities would have guaranteed success, as the players around him wouldn't have been on the same wavelength. Added to that, he would also have been a target for the cloggers that patrol some teams in this league.

To be honest, he's best not to tarnish his career and I'm happy enough that he at least gave us this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8548962/Paul-Scholes-Manchester-Uniteds-midfield-maestro-with-a-passion-for-Oldham-Athletic.html

I asked him in February if he was coming to Latics when I saw him at Manchester Airport.

Giggs and Neville were with him at the time. They both just laughed, he winked and walked on.

The thing with Scholes is he can have a job coaching at the top level handed to him on a plate. Or he can come to Oldham for a year or two and then struggle to break into the coaching game.

The money he will be guaranteed until there is an overhaul of management and backroom staff at MU. Will be far more comfortable than getting kicked in the lower leagues.

Would love to see him here, if only for the boost in crowds. unfortunately we'll have to wait for the next ginger through the system.