http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?msg=1st+game+of+the+season+Oldham+v+Sheff+Utd&day=06&month=08&year=2011&hour=15&min=00&sec=00&p0=0

The new season is now 30days away and i am delighted with the way pre-season has gone so far

We have:-

Got rid of a lot of dead wood

Tied down our best young players to the club

Signed our number 1 target in M'Voto

Made the right decision over the captaincy (IMO)

Made decent money on the Stephens deal

Trimmed the wage bill

Kept Morais

Signed a promising young keeper

-------------------------------------------------------

Should we sign a goalscorer (like gold dust) everyone wants one of them and there aint many around

Sign another keeper,defender and midfielder adding that little bit of experince we would be in a solid position going into next season, yes the squad is slightly thin on the ground but this couldnt have gone much bettter!!!

I think we should be grateful we dont have a gaffer who is stupid with the money, we are investing wisely and going in the right direction :D

If only we could have kept Evina as well but the lad stuck to his word

Edited by laticdickovarmy

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?msg=1st+game+of+the+season+Oldham+v+Sheff+Utd&day=06&month=08&year=2011&hour=15&min=00&sec=00&p0=0

The new season is now 30days away and i am delighted with the way pre-season has gone so far

We have:-

Got rid of a lot of dead wood

Tied down our best young players to the club

Signed our number 1 target in M'Voto

Made the right decision over the captaincy (IMO)

Made decent money on the Stephens deal

Trimmed the wage bill

Kept Morais

Signed a promising young keeper

-------------------------------------------------------

Should we sign a goalscorer (like gold dust) everyone wants one of them and there ain't many around

Sign another keeper,defender and midfielder adding that little bit of experience we would be in a solid position going into next season, yes the squad is slightly thin on the ground but this couldn't have gone much better!!!

I think we should be grateful we don't have a gaffer who is stupid with the money, we are investing wisely and going in the right direction :D

If only we could have kept Evina as well but the lad stuck to his word

If we look at the squad today and we leave Gerrard out of the equation, then we must have an average age of... well not very many. I agree that securing Black/Morais/MVoto/Reid/Tarkowski/Winchester and bringing in Smith and Cisak is a good start. Add those to the likes of Taylor, Lee, Furman, Feeney and we have a starting eleven for Saturday against Barrow.

Cisak, Lee, MVoto, Tarkowski, Black, Morais, Furman, Winchester, Taylor, Reid, Smith/Feeney ...

For me we need four more additions - right through the spine of the team in fact - Keeper, Centre Back, Centre Midfield, Centre Forward - and we could do with a tad more experience too!

There are many players available and it is all about choosing the right ones (right for the 'vision' and affordable) - many names have been bandied around; the latest being Darby, McDonald, Brandy etc. The hope has to be that we get the additions in sooner rather than later. Good so far. <_<

Edited by TheBigDog

Cisak, Lee, MVoto, Tarkowski, Black, Morais, Furman, Winchester, Taylor, Reid, Smith/Feeney ...

For me we need four more additions - right through the spine of the team in fact - Keeper, Centre Back, Centre Midfield, Centre Forward - and we could do with a tad more experience too!

Agree, the positions in bold are the vital signings for me. If we could get another left-sided defender in too (as backup for Black) then I'd be happy with our squad.

I'm not sure that experience is vital just yet. I think we could wait until January before we really need it. If we are up at the top or fighting relegation then experience will be important, but if we're midtable then it'd be a waste of the budget.

I'm amazed that we don't know any of the trailists currently training with the team. Normally we have one or two fans who manage to slip through security and get to watch the team train and report back with the identities of the trialists.

Could it be that each has been paid off with the new fixtures mug to keep quiet?!

Surely the latest snippet on the official site suggesting that the quality of the trialists is a lot better and some have stood out would generate the rumours or confirmation of actual identities through first-hand spots?!

I'm amazed that we don't know any of the trailists currently training with the team. Normally we have one or two fans who manage to slip through security and get to watch the team train and report back with the identities of the trialists.

Could it be that each has been paid off with the new fixtures mug to keep quiet?!

Surely the latest snippet on the official site suggesting that the quality of the trialists is a lot better and some have stood out would generate the rumours or confirmation of actual identities through first-hand spots?!

was thinking the same myself - but they may all just be unknowns?

more trialists info

Edited by MaskedOwl

And, until we capture the signing of Owen Hargreaves it's been a :censored:e pre-season

I’ll not be happy until the ink is dry on Jarko’s contract and his elusive photo appears on the ‘Fishal. :wink:

To date; I’d say we’ve made a start; and that’s all.

The squad looks extremely thin to me; and we only need 1 or 2 injuries / suspensions to mean we’ll be down to unproven & (relatively) unknown quantities like Connor Hughes, Phil McGrath, Kirk Millar & Matty Carr.

So far I’m happy we managed to tie down Morais, Paul Black, Tarky, Winchester & Reid (sort of actually with Reid!) – and the signing of M’Voto was a real bonus as I had a horrible feeling we were going to be left disappointed on that front; so him tied down on a 2 year is a brilliant development IMO. Cisak ‘sounds’ promising; but having seen absolutely zip-squat of him I’ll wait & see on that one; and Matt Smith is a pure unknown that we really shouldn’t be expecting anything from in his 1st outright season in pro-football.

The flip side of that is we have plenty of the same side that finished so, so poorly last term – and have lost our captain and main brunt of experience that we had. Feeney is now the old head in what is a very, very young squad.

We’re short of quality in Key areas – basically the spine of our side, as IMO if we start the season without other additions to CB, CM & CF – then, well; frankly – we’re set for a real struggle – the team below is bottom 6 material IMO.

Cisak

Lee – M’Voto – Tarky – Black

Morais – Winchester – Furman – Taylor

Reid – Feeney

I’ll not be happy until the ink is dry on Jarko’s contract and his elusive photo appears on the ‘Fishal. :wink:

To date; I’d say we’ve made a start; and that’s all.

The squad looks extremely thin to me; and we only need 1 or 2 injuries / suspensions to mean we’ll be down to unproven & (relatively) unknown quantities like Connor Hughes, Phil McGrath, Kirk Millar & Matty Carr.

So far I’m happy we managed to tie down Morais, Paul Black, Tarky, Winchester & Reid (sort of actually with Reid!) – and the signing of M’Voto was a real bonus as I had a horrible feeling we were going to be left disappointed on that front; so him tied down on a 2 year is a brilliant development IMO. Cisak ‘sounds’ promising; but having seen absolutely zip-squat of him I’ll wait & see on that one; and Matt Smith is a pure unknown that we really shouldn’t be expecting anything from in his 1st outright season in pro-football.

The flip side of that is we have plenty of the same side that finished so, so poorly last term – and have lost our captain and main brunt of experience that we had. Feeney is now the old head in what is a very, very young squad.

We’re short of quality in Key areas – basically the spine of our side, as IMO if we start the season without other additions to CB, CM & CF – then, well; frankly – we’re set for a real struggle – the team below is bottom 6 material IMO.

Cisak

Lee – M’Voto – Tarky – Black

Morais – Winchester – Furman – Taylor

Reid – Feeney

The Star Striker article on t'fishul - http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2387965,00.html (see separate thread) - shows that PD has already recognised where he he needs to strengthen (Centre Back, Centre Mid and Centre Forward) - we seem to be on the same wavelength! Easy this management lark B)

Edited by TheBigDog