Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out...

I vagueley remember Starbuck although wasn't old enough to remember any specific performances. Was he in the disinterested category ala Feeney, or the tried his arse off but just naturally :censored:e ala Colbeck?

Re Feeney, if Alan H is reading this, if the door hits him on the arse on the way out, have the door cleaned andsend Feeney the bill.

Starbuck vs Wigan Away will live long in the memory. Feeney has been crippled with injuries, if he hadn't have been he'd be ok.

What category of :censored:e was he? I vagueley remember seeing him play but he didn't come across as someone who couldn't be bothered, rather someone who was quite blatantly playing two divisions above what he should have been

What category of :censored:e was he? I vagueley remember seeing him play but he didn't come across as someone who couldn't be bothered, rather someone who was quite blatantly playing two divisions above what he should have been

Fat, slow, thre'penny bit head, couldn't trap a bag of cement. Warnock had been chasing him for almost a year but he did have an horrendous injury and was making his way back to fitness when he joined us. However as :censored:e and useless as Starbuck was, at least he scored a LEAGUE goal…..*

*A consolation penalty in a 3-1 defeat at Bristol Rovers...

Fat, slow, thre'penny bit head, couldn't trap a bag of cement. Warnock had been chasing him for almost a year but he did have an horrendous injury and was making his way back to fitness when he joined us. However as :censored:e and useless as Starbuck was, at least he scored a LEAGUE goal…..*

If I remember rightly, he joined us on loan then obtained that 'horrendus' injury in his first training session?

Category A.

Starbuck vs Wigan Away will live long in the memory. Feeney has been crippled with injuries, if he hadn't have been he'd be ok.

Didn't he score in that game and give the fans a load of abuse only for it to be disallowed and the fans hurl it back at him?

I vagueley remember Starbuck although wasn't old enough to remember any specific performances. Was he in the disinterested category ala Feeney, or the tried his arse off but just naturally :censored:e ala Colbeck?

None of the above.

He had mad skills. Some would even say "Silky"

None of the above.

He had mad skills. Some would even say "Silky"

Dunno why this has stuck in my head, but I always remember standing on the absolutely freezing cold terrace at Bournemouth circa January 1998. A 0-0 draw, Warnock playing a 9-0-1 formation with Stuart freakin' Barlow as our only striker. After 80 minutes of snoozing and zero attempts at attacking football, we finally got the ball in a promising position near the corner flag. The ball went to Starbuck free on the left...and he pathetically let the ball dribble under his foot for a goalkick. Cue howls of abuse from 200 Latics fans standing yards away. Starbuck gave us a look that combined shock, resignation and utter embarrassment for his efforts. I remember just for one second feeling sorry for him and how the life of a professional footballer probably isn't all that great sometimes.

He was still utter garbage though.

Personally think that's a fair assesment. He was truly abominable, but having seen so many charlatans of their trade come & go in the last 15 years, I don't think his shortcomings were down to effort. Seemed to be much more representative of how someone like me would have played had I been thrust into a game of professional football after an all you can eat curry. He was just very, very bad.

The first thing I remember him doing in a Latics shirt was giving the ball away against Blackpool & if memory serves me correct, they broke away to score, eventually ending our unbeaten home run that year. He was always on a downward spiral with fans from there.

I also remember playing Millwall at home around Feb 98 when we were starting our dreadful run of form - we were piling on the pressure in front of the Chaddy with the score at 0-0 & the ball came out to Starbuck about 15 yards out. He chested the ball down only to completely sky the ball out of the ground a la Sunday league standard.

I vaguely remember him burying his face in his palms while chants of "Starbuck is a football genius" broke from a few fans. I just felt sorry for the guy!

On the plus side though, always thought he's probably got the best name of any player in my time as a fan. Although in reality, he was far less exciting than the interstellar space ranger his name had convinced my (feverish) 12 year old imagination he could be.

Captain Starbuck awaaaaayyy!!!