Good performance today

First game in 14 months today, first time I have seen alot of these players.

Good performance, and its nice to see us kill off a team. Although it was very easy to see why Wycombe were relegation fodder (did Cizak have a save to make???) the 'typical' Latics would have let that slip. Thought Morais was superb and also thought Clarke and MVoto had steady games. Taylors runs were good but he definitely needs a bit more end product.

Less said about the officials the better, missed a stonewall penalty and what was in my opinion a straight red card for them, more or less an identical tackle to what Diallo was dismissed for vs Huddersfield.

A very dull game until the first goal. Cisak had nothing to do at all in the game.

Good second half performance. Furman played very well in his first full game back. But for me Simpson was man of the match. Played superbly alongside Kuqi for most of the game.

Kugi could well have doubled the score for a more emphatic scoreline as well as Simpsons effort headed off the line.

Let's not do MK Dons again .....follow up with a dreadful performance .

A very dull game until the first goal. Cisak had nothing to do at all in the game.

Good second half performance. Furman played very well in his first full game back. But for me Simpson was man of the match. Played superbly alongside Kuqi for most of the game.

Kugi could well have doubled the score for a more emphatic scoreline as well as Simpsons effort headed off the line.

Let's not do MK Dons again .....follow up with a dreadful performance .

If we play like we did against Tranmere then Preston will absolutely slaughter us. The likes of Turner, Carlisle, Ashbee, Hume, Mellor, all quality players at this level.

If we play like we did against Tranmere then Preston will absolutely slaughter us. The likes of Turner, Carlisle, Ashbee, Hume, Mellor, all quality players at this level.

It would be typical for us to follow up a good performance with a bad one. Preston have lost their last two games and, also typically, we're quite good at giving opposition teams a boost when they're in a rut.

That said, Preston will be a bigger game for us than say Tranmere and I'll be expecting a better showing than that from the team, especially now Furman is back in midfield.

It would be typical for us to follow up a good performance with a bad one. Preston have lost their last two games and, also typically, we're quite good at giving opposition teams a boost when they're in a rut.

That said, Preston will be a bigger game for us than say Tranmere and I'll be expecting a better showing than that from the team, especially now Furman is back in midfield.

they've lost their last four

Edited by bowl

Good performance, and its nice to see us kill off a team. Although it was very easy to see why Wycombe were relegation fodder (did Cizak have a save to make???) the 'typical' Latics would have let that slip. Thought Morais was superb and also thought Clarke and MVoto had steady games. Taylors runs were good but he definitely needs a bit more end product.

Less said about the officials the better, missed a stonewall penalty and what was in my opinion a straight red card for them, more or less an identical tackle to what Diallo was dismissed for vs Huddersfield.

Think you're getting Taylor and Morais mixed up. Taylor provided the cross for the first goal. Agree about the officials, they were poor.

Edited by bossrocks

That's the bottle of wine sunk.

I thought we were pretty awful today, they were even worse and their shot stats are those of a struggling side. At times we passed the ball well but at others we were very one dimensional which has been our biggest failing this season and being honest, al arge part of last season. For as long as I can remember we have regularly taken too long to shift the ball around the pitch and given the opposition time to regroup, for most of the game it was the same script.

I like Furman and I like Wes, however they are both more destructive players than creative but I could be being a bit harsh here though. It may now be the wine talking and I may be getting carried away with Deano's goal but another midfield pairing was quite similar, Milligan and Henry, Henry broke up play and Milligan helped the play flow. Now this pair had 2 very creative players outside them who got to the line and whipped it in but this is one thing we don't currently do.

I'll need to see the first goal again to see how it came about as I can't remember, if it came from the middle then that would be nice and promising for the future as clearly Wes and Furman is Dickov's first CM choice pairing. The second was from a corner on the left as I looked at it from the RRE which if memory serves Taylor took. His corners have improved this season but I was more impressed with Mellor's corners from the right.

Speaking of which, I've had heart in the mouth moments with Mellor at LB, he's a young kid and the step up to the first team is a big one, I've not been convinced that LB is where I would play him but needs must at the minute. He had a good game today, did everything that was asked of him, good progression from the lad, a few sloppy moments early on but he is learning that this is a step up and mistakes are punished. I'm a fan of Paul Black who himself is only a kid, Latics fan too and should be cut more slack by many Latics fans, he's better going forward than back but his defensive game has steadily improved. Mellor put in some important challenges today, was better positionally and almost looked a full back, didn't get forward much but didn't really need to. Think he'll have a torrid time on Tuesday, most managers want their teams to target him but he held up well today. He also gives us a threat from set pieces, wasted some today but he also but some good ones in, with time we'll get some goals from that left wand he's got.

My preferred CB partnership today too, Clarke was immense, M'voto did what he needed to too. Despite Diamond having a good game against the Dongs I would still start with Jean and Nathan, Dickov's lucky that Furman is back and had already made him his captain, makes dropping Diamond easier, when he's fit. Have to also say that Cisek is getting about his job well, didn't have much to do today but the defence has to be seen as a whole and all 5 worked well, none of them flapped about any other member and had confidence that each of them would do their job. In the final 15 or so we came under a bit of pressure but we didn't look threatened, in past years it has been real heart in mouth stuff but today that was comfortable.

Overall, we should have knocked more in today, creatively we were below par but a clean sheet is not to be sniffed at, if the opposition don't score then we don't lose, however, if we don't score then we don't win. 2 defensive midfielders definitely help us keep a clean sheet but we also need them to help us get on the score sheet. In time they might get there and Dean has shown he know's where the net is and Wes also bagged today. After both CMs scored today it maybe is churlish to question the centre going forward but that's me all over.

Edited by beag_teeets

Wycombe were pretty terrible. BUT they were far better than Tranmere in 2009. You have to make the opposition look crap. And yes, the referee was awful. If you're not going to give a pen for the foul on Kuqi (i'm not sure that would be allowed in rugby league) then i don't know what you would give a pen for.

One of Taylor's better games, was made up that he put in the cross for the goal. Was even more pleased that Wesolowski scored - he's worked his arse off this season, and put in another good shift today, he really deserved that. As did Furman. God we've missed him.

I thought we were pretty awful today, they were even worse and their shot stats are those of a struggling side.

I must admit, result aside there's nothing to get excited about in the performance. Job done and all that. 90 minutes on the pitch for Furman, but if Wycombe survive the season I'll be amazed.

At times we passed the ball well but at others we were very one dimensional which has been our biggest failing this season and being honest, al arge part of last season. For as long as I can remember we have regularly taken too long to shift the ball around the pitch and given the opposition time to regroup, for most of the game it was the same script.

There's nothing wrong with keeping possession, but there is no urgency to our game. The number of times we pass it across the midfield, knock it to the back four and then push it back to Cisak is extraordinary. A lack of movement ahead and a lack of inspiration on the ball really doesn't excite. If we were 2-0 up against the league leaders and keeping the ball like that I'd be delighted. But when it's 0-0 aganst a patently poor opponent I really don't get it.

As for Cisak, his distribution is limited to the hoof down the middle. I know Brill put the odd one in touch, but when he rolled it short to Lee we looked more threatening last season. At the moment there's a 60/40 chance of the ball coming back in to a half straight away. Needs looking at - the lad's cut out the punching and catches most things now, so he will respond to coaching.

Now this pair had 2 very creative players outside them who got to the line and whipped it in but this is one thing we don't currently do.

Taylor and Morais baffle me. The latter especially. Taylor was actually my man of the match yesterday, but he did most of his damage centrally, running quite brilliantly at defenders. Morais, I'm beginning to lose patience with. Granted there was one excellent first half cross to the far post that didn't get the finish but I didn't see a player putting in a shift. This lad should be far more destructive than he is.

I'll need to see the first goal again to see how it came about as I can't remember, if it came from the middle then that would be nice and promising for the future as clearly Wes and Furman is Dickov's first CM choice pairing.

A slight slip from their defender and Taylor got a little bit more space to get a cross in. I don't think he got the intended elevation but the fact we had three players in the box was most refreshing. I'd assumed Kuqi had applied the finish on the basis that Latics midfielders don't go that far forwards!

Speaking of which, I've had heart in the mouth moments with Mellor at LB, he's a young kid and the step up to the first team is a big one, I've not been convinced that LB is where I would play him but needs must at the minute. He had a good game today, did everything that was asked of him, good progression from the lad, a few sloppy moments early on but he is learning that this is a step up and mistakes are punished. I'm a fan of Paul Black who himself is only a kid, Latics fan too and should be cut more slack by many Latics fans, he's better going forward than back but his defensive game has steadily improved. Mellor put in some important challenges today, was better positionally and almost looked a full back, didn't get forward much but didn't really need to. Think he'll have a torrid time on Tuesday, most managers want their teams to target him but he held up well today. He also gives us a threat from set pieces, wasted some today but he also but some good ones in, with time we'll get some goals from that left wand he's got.

Not a left back, but I think Mellor's a class act who has a real future at a higher level.

The players need to display a little more urgency. That alone could really step things up for us. We're mid table and chugging along nicely, but when you think of defeats at Exeter, Yeovil, Tranmere etc ... well perhaps the extra 4-6 points we should have had there would, as well as improving league position, have lmproved the confidence of the players.

Robbie Simpson. Good game today, but I'm afrais he should have buried the one that was cleared off the line. Looking at the replay, I'd suggest the shot may have drifted wide anyway, without the defender's intervention.

Edited by opinions4u

Fame at last!

Agree about keeping possession, if we have the ball then the opposition can't score but we need to have an end product to our possession and not panic as soon as they start to press us. Too often for me it seems that we I have been watching the same game, CM to RM, to RB, to CM, to RM rushed, come under pressure, hoof to left side resulting in chase between one of them and one of us and we lose our shape and they break at us. Quite often we cause pressure for ourselves by being hurried, would like to see more movement off the ball, players opening themselves up to receive the ball and giving the man in possession options and the opposition defence decisions to make.

The highlights on the Football League Show only went back as far as Taylor getting the ball before crossing it in, would like to see a bit more of the build up. Very pleased that both our goals game from Taylor yesterday, he comes in for a lot of stick but without him we probably wouldn't have won yesterday.

That's that then.

Congratulations to Preston for ending their mini bad run.

We are about to play a team that has been in a higher league for the last decade who have a much bigger budget than us and a squad that on paper is one of the best in the league, but the reason we think we'll lose to them is because they've lost four in a row!

This is why I love being a Latics fan. :)

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Fame at last!

Agree about keeping possession, if we have the ball then the opposition can't score but we need to have an end product to our possession and not panic as soon as they start to press us. Too often for me it seems that we I have been watching the same game, CM to RM, to RB, to CM, to RM rushed, come under pressure, hoof to left side resulting in chase between one of them and one of us and we lose our shape and they break at us. Quite often we cause pressure for ourselves by being hurried, would like to see more movement off the ball, players opening themselves up to receive the ball and giving the man in possession options and the opposition defence decisions to make.

The highlights on the Football League Show only went back as far as Taylor getting the ball before crossing it in, would like to see a bit more of the build up. Very pleased that both our goals game from Taylor yesterday, he comes in for a lot of stick but without him we probably wouldn't have won yesterday.

thought first half was pretty poor really...no urgency,players not pressing them..wycombe were poorest team ive seen for a while...should have been 2 up by half time but we lacked any desire....

for once dickovs halftime talk must have worked,second half was 100% better...should of been more goals...kuqi quiet second half mainly,thought smith should have come on sooner..moraise...dont get it....dickov said he should be fit for tuesday as will zander diamond..i wouldnt rush him back for tuesday,mvoto was good yesterday...

Yeah, it was a shame they didn't show Furman's pass to Taylor, it was a cracker. Thought Taylor had a good game, i know he sometimes waits too long to put a cross in and his final ball isn't always great but the stick he gets isn't justified.

it wasn't pretty but we beat a poor team and in the second half we looked pretty promising going forward. did feel like a 0-0 with 2 goals at points though

i thought simpson was great upfront, he did the hard work and kept possession. if we can keep him, he'll chip in with some goals and it's another option upfront. he put in the running and effort so we didnt especially miss reid.

man of the match has to go to furman though, the pass for the first goal wouldn't be out of place in the prem. got a good goal too and showed how important he is to the team, got to be offering him a new contract soon!

good team performance and we know we can play better. we'd have lost or drawn that a couple of seasons ago.

I've read a few comments that we didn't play that well which, although I'd concede that we weren't brilliant, I think we were pretty good.

The only (obvious) criticism that I could direct at the team would be that we didn't take enough of our chances and that better teams would have punished us. Wycombe were very much second best and may well get relegated but don't overlook that fact that they turned Hartlepool over the week before. Of course all teams at this level are inconsistent but credit where credit's due, we were able to create a good number of chances to score in both halves.

At times, we were knocking the ball around to good effect and I really don't understand how a performance where our keeper may as well have been selling programmes, whilst we had so many shots on goal, is viewed so indifferently. Still, opinions eh?