El Capitano Dean Furman

Given the fairly quiet board recently I thought I'd start a new topic. Furman's return to the side has strengthened us massively IMO. He's been involved in four of the last five goals and Wesolowski seems to have upped his game since Furman's return too. Plus, he's shown no ill effects from his injury.

This is the last year of his 3-year deal I think and the board need to get him signed up ASAP. I can see him playing in the Championship next year, just hope if we do let him go it's not for a pittance.

Given the fairly quiet board recently I thought I'd start a new topic. Furman's return to the side has strengthened us massively IMO. He's been involved in four of the last five goals and Wesolowski seems to have upped his game since Furman's return too. Plus, he's shown no ill effects from his injury.

This is the last year of his 3-year deal I think and the board need to get him signed up ASAP. I can see him playing in the Championship next year, just hope if we do let him go it's not for a pittance.

Put it this way, if a deal hasn't been signed by January, he is free to talk to other clubs. Whilst if he moved to an English club we would probably get a fee as he is currently 22 (turns 23 in June I believe), I somehow think the club has learned from the Porter incident.

You do wonder if the "new investment" needed for this mysterious stand we're supposedly getting is what's holding up the contracts. Perhaps it suits the players to wait too.

Most of the new guys are on one year deals iirc. Furman and Lee can go at the end of season.

I'd be fairly sure Dickov would want to build a team around some of the key players. Short contracts don't really allow him to do that.

I think the last player to sign a three year deal with us was Stephens. He was gone within 4 months.

I agree, under Penney Furman looked nothing more than a bandy legged wheezer however his transformation under Dickov has been amazing and he really can drive the team at times. His pairing with Wes seems to be working very nicely so far with goals coming from the middle of the park not to mention a couple of excellent passes which have created. I thought that playing a second 90 mins so soon after his come back may have effected him but he seemed to get through ok.

At the moment I can't think of any menbers of the current first teamers team which I wouldn't extend their contract.

As said above there are a lot of players in our current squad who I would like to see us keep hold of for a while longer.

Furman and Wes is a partnership that I'm very interested in seeing develop. Both are out of contract in the summer and I reckon they could hold their own at Championship level (Furman especially) so keeping them together would be a big positive. After hearing Lee's last LP interview I'd be surprised if he doesn't stay for years to come, he's a rare case in which lack of ambition pays into our hands imo. Add Cisak, Mvoto, Black, Taylor and Reid and I think we've got a large part of a team which can stay together for a long period without being poached.

Success with this bunch isn't guarenteed at all, but I think there are some interesting times ahead if we keep them together.

I agree, under Penney Furman looked nothing more than a bandy legged wheezer however his transformation under Dickov has been amazing and he really can drive the team at times. His pairing with Wes seems to be working very nicely so far with goals coming from the middle of the park not to mention a couple of excellent passes which have created. I thought that playing a second 90 mins so soon after his come back may have effected him but he seemed to get through ok.

At the moment I can't think of any menbers of the current first teamers team which I wouldn't extend their contract.

I'd echo that comment too.

I'd like us to sign up Nathan Clarke on a permanent deal, so too Robbie Simpson. Alex Cisak, Kieran Lee, Dean Furman, Paul Black, James Wesolowski, Zander Diamond, Reuben Reid all IMO should be offered extensions like, now. IIRC Jean-Yves M'Voto signed a 2 year deal with us didn’t he so he has some time to run yet? Matt Smith signed a 2 year deal didn't he? Mellor has just signed a fresh deal for 2 years right? How long has Chris Taylor got left on his deal - didn’t he sign a big 5 year deal? has that another season to run yet?

We have the basis of a squad that that carry us for the next 5 seasons - if they are tied down on deals. The bulk of the side is young; around 22/23 and we need to make sure we a s a club are covered and don't stand to lose these promising players.

I've saved the big one till last - Shefki Kuqi. We need make sure he is still with us next season, as he's been a revelation; both on the pitch & off it.

There is nothing more frustrating in football than seeing the constant revolving door of player in's & out's every season - some continuity of squad would IMO see us building nicely and in with a chance of getting out of this god-dam league the right way….

Edited by slystallone

This is what i'm talking about. Not sure how long we have Parker and Diallo for either? In danger of becoming forgotten men. Fair enough we started like a steam train last season and there has been an element of inconsistency about our play so far however I think that we are much better placed and doubt we would have such a bad patch as last time. The football is again entertaining and if we can get a result at Carlisle we have a good month in november with 3 winnable league matches which could see us climb up the league a bit and a nice cup distraction also. I was concerned about the squad strength but feel there is more compettition within the squad.

We have a young team which is maturing all the time and it looks like they can work well as a squad. We have black returning from injury who is capable at this level and another prospect in the form of Winchester. I said pre season that we needed some stability and keeping this core together with the odd alteration here and there is key to progression, not necessarily promotion but progression. If we finish 12th this year then we have improved by 5 places and that will do for me with how the current situation is. Get these young lads tied down, lets see if we can get another year out of Shefki and just as importantly make sure we keep hold of Dicky!

Ritchie Wellens? Lee Hughes?

Firstly, Richie Wellens left at the same time as Porter so that can hardly be used as an example.

Secondly, I believe Lee Hughes was not offered a new contract

Thirdly, both Hughes and Wellens were both over the age of 24 when they left, hence the club knew that they wouldn't be entitled to a fee if their contracts ran out and they went elsewhere.

What I was getting at was with Porter, the club got complacent believing that they would get a fee for him because of his age, not taking into account that if he moved to scotland it was classed as a cross border transfer and he could go for free. Furman is in the same situation, as was Trotman. Because of his age we would get a fee if he ran down his contract and went to another english club, but would get sweet FA if he decided to go Scotland or abroad.

I believe they were offered contracts and decided they could earn a lot more elsewhere.

Irritating, but can't say I wouldn't do the same if someone wanted to double my wage.

Wellens pretty much accepted the contract but wanted a signing bonus. We didn't offer as much as Donny (if at all).

I'd also echo other peoples echo

and such a refreshing change from about the past 5 years, when we have clamoured to get rid of the copious amoiunts of dead wood.

For me, I get this feeling that last year we were 3 or 4 players of a good team and this year 2 or 3.

A bit like Joe (not comparing them just the situation) and it will take a few years to find the right balalance

I tihnk we'll be inconsistent all year, and January will be interesting.

Personally don't think Jan window will be enough to change (My memory may be plaiying tricks but post January seasons have not been good for a while)

But if we can keep the manager and bulk of the team we might be able to make increasing progress.