dave jones

But Jones said: "In the Championship we won't win many games from 2-0 down, if any at all.

"It's a hard league and, although we won tonight, there's still a lot of work to do.

"Maybe some of the players think they've arrived, but for 45 minutes they got their backsides slapped.

"We didn't close down, tackle or pass the ball. For 45 minutes we were well and truly out of it.

"Some words were said at half-time and they'll remain private, but I asked them nicely to go out and start playing like Sheffield Wednesday.

bet it wasnt printable

can you give pd some tips please dave cheers

Edited by pogsknee

The guys a class manager - always has been.

But for a mentally unbalanced lady bringing false claims against him, he'd have kept his Southampton job, and IMO still be managing a Premier league side.

Great tactician and motivator.

If we, as a side, learn one thing from last night, I hope it's the manager. Namely that you can change tactics during a game & it can change your fortunes.

The guys a class manager - always has been.

But for a mentally unbalanced lady bringing false claims against him, he'd have kept his Southampton job, and IMO still be managing a Premier league side.

Great tactician and motivator.

If we, as a side, learn one thing from last night, I hope it's the manager. Namely that you can change tactics during a game & it can change your fortunes.

And you don't have to wait until it's too late, when it's not working change it!

I hope Dickov learns we don't have to go 3 at the back leaving the full back positions completey exposed every time we are behind with 10 minutes to go. He does it every time and all we seem to do is concede another.

Our manager probably thought Jones was losing the plot last night taking of a striker for a midfielder at 2 nil down

Aye,

taking a striker off isn't always a negative move. His switch from 4-4-2 to a sort of 4-5-1 with Picjnic in an advanced role changed the game.

PD didn't react to it and we lost as a result.

Learning point for our young manager. He could do worse than having a glass of wine with Jones after the game, and not letting him leave until he'd well & truly picked his brains.

Yes he's a young manager but has managed for 106 competitive games and has 3 FULL pre-seasons under his belt.

How many managers get 106 games these days?* Massive season for him, yes the budgets :censored: but budgets do not account for tactical naivety. I so want him to succeed but he doesn't help himself. Like Sheridan before him, he simply doesn't learn from his mistakes and his short-comings continually come to the fore. I'd like to see him have the balls to bring Brown in sooner rather than later. He could have made all the difference last night. Antonio had no joy against Grounds and when he switched wings i'm sure Brown's pace would have ensured he wouldn't have enjoyed the freedom to attack at will like he did from about 35 minutes onwards.

Talking a good game will not be enough this year….

*As a footnote:

Shez got 150 games here League and Cup

Ronnie Moore got 65 games

Talbot got 55 games

Edited by oafcprozac

In the 1st half it was far too easy for us. I was even thinking Megson's team however horrid was better equipped for The Championship.

But then...

Dave Jones proved himself to be a top manager. He spotted our weaknesses and went for us in the 2nd half.

Wednesday looked like relegation fodder 1st but in the 2nd half DJ proved they will be ok with him in charge.

They played their football in our half 2nd half and attacked Tarky and Byrne. They already knew that Cisak was a bit small and positionally suspect judging by the early free-kick.

In the end though it was as Big Joe said, a tale of 2 keepers, but all opposition have weaknesses. The trick is exploiting them. That is exactly what Dave Jones did last night. He showed no fear even in front of the cameras. Listen up PD. There is someone to learn from! Quality manager. What changed for Latics even at 2-2? Nothing.

Not cristicing PD but saying that was a huge learning opportunity. I hope he took it.

going 3 at the back against two rapid wide players = suicide.

really worries me....

In Dickov's defence, it was :censored: or bust.

Lose 3-2 and you're out of the cup.

Lose 5-2 and you're out of the cup.

Matt Smith takes his two chances and we win 4-3 (or draw 4-4).

Let's not overlook that Jones was dealing with much better and more experienced players who had badly underperformed in the first half. They would be better able to execute tactical changes and to work things out for themselves than ours would.

Also helps when you have options from the bench Wednesday brought of their number 1 striker 1st half while 2 down, and brought a player off the bench who came on and scored 2 goals who do we have who is going to come off the bench to do that for us?

To be quite frank it doesn't matter what tactics we use this season we will probably finish lower half mid table.