Our number 6

Testament to that were two away games in early 2008. Leeds away and Everton away. We had injury problems and players suspended for both games yet won them both. No-one gave us a hope in hell. If we give up hope, We might as well turn out the lights now. I've thought about walking away so many times in the last 10 years, why do I keep going? Infinite hope that the good times will roll again one day…..once the hope dies, that's when I'll walk away.

The parallels between now and the mid-80s are uncanny, no money, over a decade in the same division, false dawns, followed by player sales and then more mediocrity - then everything suddenly clicks into place. One day it will happen again, you have to believe and that's why each and every defeat hurts…same as above when the defeats stop pissing me off, I'll walk away...

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Testament to that were two away games in early 2007. Leeds away and Everton away. We had injury problems and players suspended for both games yet won them both. No-one gave us a hope in hell. If we give up hope, We might as well turn out the lights now. I've thought about walking away so many times in the last 10 years, why do I keep going? Infinite hope that the good times will roll again one day…..once the hope dies, that's when I'll walk away.

The parallels between now and the mid-80s are uncanny, no money, over a decade in the same division, false dawns, followed by player sales and then more mediocrity - then everything suddenly clicks into place. One day it will happen again, you have to believe and that's why each and every defeat hurts…same as above when the defeats stop pissing me off, I'll walk away...

^

This. Put far better than I ever could

Testament to that were two away games in early 2007. Leeds away and Everton away. We had injury problems and players suspended for both games yet won them both. No-one gave us a hope in hell. If we give up hope, We might as well turn out the lights now. I've thought about walking away so many times in the last 10 years, why do I keep going? Infinite hope that the good times will roll again one day…..once the hope dies, that's when I'll walk away.

Harry......you have stated, in your opinion, that Tarky wasn't at fault for the 2nd goal.

I will argue to the nth degree that he was............his presence in an area where he should have been MAY have made the difference because other players had to cover for him because of a stupid action. OPINIONS.

Palmer1......it's pathetic when people are blinded by the deficiencies of "one of our own" as if they are untouchable and put the blame on a brought in player .OPINIONS

Do I blame Tarky for the defeat.......no.....that, again lies at the feet of PD and his choice of starting lineup......Montana's fitness should have been assessed. OPINIONS

To OAFC PROZAC.......well put.

Palmer1......it's pathetic when people are blinded by the deficiencies of "one of our own" as if they are untouchable and put the blame on a brought in player .OPINIONS

frankly that is bollocks! and complete a figment of your imagination

where have I mentioned anything about Tarky "being one of our own" and blaming "players brought in" instead of him?

I have said he was not at fault for the 2nd goal, he should not have got caught up with a dons player in their area but for you to say that the goal is all his fault is frankly ridiculous and blind to what went on with the rest of his team mates not winning the ball back

Harry......you have stated, in your opinion, that Tarky wasn't at fault for the 2nd goal.

I will argue to the nth degree that he was............his presence in an area where he should have been MAY have made the difference because other players had to cover for him because of a stupid action. OPINIONS.

Do I blame Tarky for the defeat.......no.....that, again lies at the feet of PD and his choice of starting lineup......Montana's fitness should have been assessed. OPINIONS

To OAFC PROZAC.......well put.

So Tarky goes forward with JYM and CB for a set piece that will have been set up on the training pitch presumably on the instructions of the management team. Non of them get back or could of got back and that is Tarky's fault. Brilliant.

What position is that he should have been in to "MAYBE have made a difference"? Lets take JYM for example. He didn't get back. The closest he was was about 5 -10 yards away. Watch the highlights again. go to 52.35 on the link below. He wasn't as far in the MK box when the free kick was played in by Changy and isn't as quick over 80-90 yards as JYM. How the hell is that Tarky's fault? Please show me what I am missing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01m9fsk/The_Football_League_Show_2012_2013_18_08_2012/

Well put Harry and Prozac but you are both old gits with positive memories . Many younger fans like my son havent had the pleasure of good memories of trips to MK, Posh etc....yet turn up and never give a player on pitch stick, believe success will eventually come but however long we have been in this god forsaken division seen some crap, false dawns, hope and despair. The 80s even early 90s meaning nothing other than youtube memories and folklore. We need to progress in the present by pulling together and doing little things like the sign up to the £1.50 reward. As Dave Brailsford might say "Success comes from the the aggregation of marginal gains." when money tight possibly more so. To Chris a win is a miracle because he aint seen one not that he doesnt want one or expect one.

Just in case you've missed the bolded bit, click through to the thread linked below and act accordingly.

PlayerShare WebShop has made over £100 in a day. Please add to that amount now.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39273&hl=

As a defender he should react to the breakdown in play instead of getting involved in an argument.....he didn't so was left behind. The clip you refer to doesn't show Tarky standing off for a few seconds before the Dons GK releasing the ball so is inconclusive. I have said that 9 outfield players reacted and 1 didn't.

As for the argument regarding "one of our own", Palmer 1......it wasn't you personally but others who view players coming through the ranks as untouchable as opposed to those who are brought in to wear the blue short......apologies if I lead you to believe I was having a personal dig which I wasn't. I treat all players the same whether they are from Tony's school or signed for a month.

I sat there yesterday wondering why did we sign Connor brown only to play cliff Byrne as right back and give the tall but weak Tarky CB position?

IMO it should be Mvoto & Byrne as the back two with Grounds and Brown as left & right back.

Tarky yesterday did himself no favours especially for standing face to face with their man for so long with his back against play.

We have sent better players out on loan in the past but money is tight and I can understand why Dickov plays him but not why it’s at the expense of better players who will help us field a stronger more balanced back four.

If Dickov isn’t careful Tarky will be pushed out of favour permanently by the fans at this rate without filling his potential in the slightest.

Right, this has already gone too far.

It's 2 games into the season, 1 league game and 1 cup game. And already it's become abundantly clear who this season's whipping boy is for a worrying number of our fans…..

….and it's frankly bang out of order. Eardley had it (mike45 made me laugh with his post saying Eardley could do no wrong but Lomax was given dog-abuse…I think he's confused a young Welsh fullback with a young half-cast Manchester fullback there; it was completely the opposite way round), Taylor had it and now James Tarkowski is having it. Why must some be so blinkered in their need to bash that they actually end up ignoring how things actually pan out and still lay the blame at the wrong players door? Weird, and worrying.

I can already see how this is going to pan out. A lad of 19 years of age is going to receive even more abuse than he is doing already (I'm not on twitter, but people have alluded to Tarky getting abuse on there; I'm not surprised.) He's going to the boo-boy and he'll be singled out for abuse that is only going to affect his play in a negative way.

I don't understand what's he's done so wrong to warrant this? There have been, what, 5 or 6 separate threads about him already on here…..It's as though he's the only one who's been playing so far? As I've seen it, he had a cracking pre-season and is in the side on merit of performance. He came up against 2 Championship quality strikers last Monday, had one of them extremely well marshalled and the other turned him; leading to a goal. He was not at direct fault for any of the other goals; but Cisak and Grounds were (So too Dickov for the 3 at the back move).

On Saturday, Simpson for the 1st and basically the team for the second - yet Tarky is catching the flak for both? He would have had to have outrun Bolt & Blake to have got back for the second; yet some are saying he should have done? How can he be blamed for marking his man correctly on the 1st; Simpson lets his man go?

And the one thing I don't understand in all this is this:

If people are singling him out and using his age & inexperience as reasons for him to be dropped; how is their solution of putting in another 19 years with zero league experience going to be any better?

Cliff Byrne has played the majority of his games at RB. Yep - he's gives cover at CB if pushed, but he's a RB. So, moving him across into his second favourite position and putting in a lad who will be making his league debut makes us stronger? I can't see how it does?

Tarky will make a mistake playing CB for us. So will JYM. Cisak and Grounds already have. It's how the fans react to those mistakes that needs to be looked at. It looks like Tarky is going to be given undue grief but others will be let off.

I think Tarky is probably best going to see PD today and asking for a move away. I can unfortunately see how this one is going to pan out for him here at BP. He'd be best getting away now before it gets too bad….

Good post, Sly.

There are too many willing to try and write a player off and will twist events to try and fit their agenda. The momentum that these things gather mean that targeted players don't get a fair crack and end up trying to rebuild careers elsewhere. I noticed that some of the Twitter abuse that was directed personally at Tarky on Saturday actually came from someone who wasn't at MK but had instead formed an opinion based on someone else's tweets who themselves have accrued their expertise by playing Football Manager.

How nice it would be to try and back players towards trying to achieve something and offer support if and when they make mistakes. I've read a lot of people moaning about not wanting to just accept defeats against better resouced clubs as if not wanting to berate the players means that we're slavishly going to accept defeats of any nature but then I don't know anyone that does. For my own part, I don't demand that we win each match. My matchday experience is one where I try and offer support and I tend to keep my criticism to the occasional rolling of the eyes or muttering something under my breath but I'm generally happy with what I do. If I was unhappy, I wouldn't go anymore - I'd spend my hard-earned elesewhere.

What agenda???

FFS it's a messageboard, people call it how they see it. Some see the positives in every situation, some think we're doomed at every turn. Some try and offer balance at the end of the of the day, opinions are like arseholes. We all have one and most stink. (except perhaps Kelly Brook's and Cate Blanchett's..)

We're getting a situation on here where every comment is meticulously combed through, if anyone dares raise a question it is seized upon by a few and often ridiculed. Anyone offering an opinion away from absolute optimism is dismissed as a doom and gloomer and a disruptive influence to our Promotion Push. A few need to get real, that at the end of the day it's 11 lads kicking a ball round a field, some are good players, some average, some pretty :censored: and some may never learn. It's simply not important enough for people to have 'agenda's'

This messageboard is a place to sound off about Oldham Athletic, in the grander scheme of things it means sod all. I think the lunatics have finally taken over the asylum, no wonder so many good posters from the JK Latics days have walked away.

Some think Tarky's :censored:, others think he's a world beater. Others like me think he needs to up his concentration levels at key times but there is a player in there. But at the end of the day i'm sure Tarky doesn't give a shiny :censored: what our opinions are as long as his manager, coach and mam and dad are right behind him and his team-mates trust him.

Edited by oafcprozac

What agenda???

The number of threads and posts on here about one player would suggest any and every mistake that the lad makes is going to be seized upon much more than any rick made by Cisak or (when he's fit) Wesolowski. It will become self-fulfilling as people latch on to targeting the player so that fingers will point towards him for each goal that we concede amongst a backdrop of "I told you so"(already happening btw) and destroy his confidence.

I agree that comments made on here are, in the main, harmless but for whatever reason there are some that need a boo-boy as much as they need a favourite.

….and it's frankly bang out of order. Eardley had it (mike45 made me laugh with his post saying Eardley could do no wrong but Lomax was given dog-abuse…I think he's confused a young Welsh fullback with a young half-cast Manchester fullback there; it was completely the opposite way round), Taylor had it and now James Tarkowski is having it. Why must some be so blinkered in their need to bash that they actually end up ignoring how things actually pan out and still lay the blame at the wrong players door? Weird, and worrying.

I can already see how this is going to pan out. A lad of 19 years of age is going to receive even more abuse than he is doing already (I'm not on twitter, but people have alluded to Tarky getting abuse on there; I'm not surprised.) He's going to the boo-boy and he'll be singled out for abuse that is only going to affect his play in a negative way.

I don't understand what's he's done so wrong to warrant this? There have been, what, 5 or 6 separate threads about him already on here…..It's as though he's the only one who's been playing so far? As I've seen it, he had a cracking pre-season and is in the side on merit of performance. He came up against 2 Championship quality strikers last Monday, had one of them extremely well marshalled and the other turned him; leading to a goal. He was not at direct fault for any of the other goals; but Cisak and Grounds were (So too Dickov for the 3 at the back move).

On Saturday, Simpson for the 1st and basically the team for the second - yet Tarky is catching the flak for both? He would have had to have outrun Bolt & Blake to have got back for the second; yet some are saying he should have done? How can he be blamed for marking his man correctly on the 1st; Simpson lets his man go?

And the one thing I don't understand in all this is this:

If people are singling him out and using his age & inexperience as reasons for him to be dropped; how is their solution of putting in another 19 years with zero league experience going to be any better?

Cliff Byrne has played the majority of his games at RB. Yep - he's gives cover at CB if pushed, but he's a RB. So, moving him across into his second favourite position and putting in a lad who will be making his league debut makes us stronger? I can't see how it does?

I had to come back (not to argue but clarify) seeing as you mentioned me personally.....I will take any mention as a compliment.

My memories (after several years of drinking real ales of various quality has left my sole surviving brain cell shrouded in mist) of Eardley was significantly more fan-positive than Lomax who I thought got some unbelievable stick on here and at matches but my point is directed to those people on here who cherry pick the players to support.......namely the homegrown as opposed to bought in.

Regarding bringing Byrne into the middle......I think it's a good idea as our centre of defence area has been poor of late and needs resolving. Some will say let Tarky play through and gain experience but that is a gamble and one I don't think we can afford. Byrne has looked average at RB, so bring Brown in and let his pace help Croft. I don't agree with you regarding Tarky having Madine "in his pocket" last week.....according to Andy Hinchcliffe on Sky, Madine came into the game short of match fitness and carrying an injury hence his ineffectiveness and early removal. Tarky will get better but not with Mvoto at the side of him.......as much as it pains me to say it, but Gregan would be have been a perfect partner for him.

As for criticism of players, I use this forum only to make my point whether people agree or not. I don't twitter and I don't stand pitchside bollocking players. I do go onto the Oldham Comical but that is mainly to chip away at Oldham Scotland and Ammypammy.

just out curiosity Mikejh45 who cherry picks the "home grown" players to support over player bought from outside on this board (im not actually asking to name names by the way)

but I was a big supporter of Eardley over Lomax as he was and is a better player but the :censored: that got thrown at Eardley was ridiculous were as Lomax had alot of people calling for him to be 1st choice, i never understood that but both where homegrown and have since moved in different directions

Chris Taylor another example of "home grown" talent who has pretty much been the boo boy on here for the last 2 years because he had not played as well as he had in the past also he moaned a lot which especially last season seemed to get him untold abuse

Tarky is another "home grown" and looks like decisions have been made by a lot of posters on here already, going off previous he will find it very difficult to change that .....even if we are only 2 games in

IMO opinion this is where your point falls down as off the top of my head these are the most recent "home grown" players that have established themselves as part of the first team and they seemed to take far more abuse than anyone else

people have called for our youths to be given a chance instead of buying/loaning in and im not against that but if we can get better and our youth are not ready for the first team then in my eyes that's up to the management, fans just get annoyed when the loan player is unfit and not ready for match action until the week their loan is up...frustrated more than anything I think - especially if we loan and dont use them at all like Mancini

Edited by palmer1

just out curiosity Mikejh45 who cherry picks the "home grown" players to support over player bought from outside on this board (im not actually asking to name names by the way)

but I was a big supporter of Eardley over Lomax as he was and is a better player but the :censored: that got thrown at Eardley was ridiculous were as Lomax had alot of people calling for him to be 1st choice, i never understood that but both where homegrown and have since moved in different directions

Chris Taylor another example of "home grown" talent who has pretty much been the boo boy on here for the last 2 years because he had not played as well as he had in the past also he moaned a lot which especially last season seemed to get him untold abuse

Tarky is another "home grown" and looks like decisions have been made by a lot of posters on here already, going off previous he will find it very difficult to change that .....even if we are only 2 games in

IMO opinion this is where your point falls down as off the top of my head these are the most recent "home grown" players that have established themselves as part of the first team and they seemed to take far more abuse than anyone else

people have called for our youths to be given a chance instead of buying/loaning in and im not against that but if we can get better and our youth are not ready for the first team then in my eyes that's up to the management, fans just get annoyed when the loan player is unfit and not ready for match action until the week their loan is up...frustrated more than anything I think - especially if we loan and dont use them at all like Mancini

I wouldn't name names but if I went back over certain topics, I would be able to present a few.

I agree with you regarding where Eardley and Lomax are now and who was the better player. I always felt when Lomax got up to first team speed, he was a more than competent full back at defending with deficiencies in the attacking department which is where Eardley, in comparison, shone. He was unfairly critcised heavily in the left back spot before Danny Jones came along when our season went downwards.

Regarding Taylor, I always felt he could have given so much more in the last couple of years because the skills were still there but, for some reason only known to him, was easily distracted towards arguing which seemed to alienate him from sections of the crowd.

Your point on recent local players, on reflection I can only answer that recent homegrown players who have suffered haven't really made the mark. Until Tarky came along, we haven't had any (I will stand to be corrected here) who have made a position their own in the way Taylor/Eardley impacted.