Do sell-on clauses actually work?

Not being a massive statto in the world of football, it's difficult to find examples or evidence however, do they actually ever bear any benefits for the parent club? Portsmouth had a 50% look-in on Jason Pearce, although I'm not sure how that worked out when he was sold back to them after 4 years. The clauses seem to be a bit of a nonsense, a cop-out if you will.

Not being a massive statto in the world of football, it's difficult to find examples or evidence however, do they actually ever bear any benefits for the parent club? Portsmouth had a 50% look-in on Jason Pearce, although I'm not sure how that worked out when he was sold back to them after 4 years. The clauses seem to be a bit of a nonsense, a cop-out if you will.

We will all agree they work if Micah Richards is sold tonight. :pray:

Edited by BP1960

I suppose it depends on their purpose.

If it's a speculative punt just in case your version of Tom Eaves turns into Messi, then I suppose they work.

If you think they're a guaranteed income, no chance. The age of Bosman, dubiously priced part exchanges, Dale Stephens type sales to avoid movi g money back to the previous club and Adebayor type transfers where the signing on fee and pay cut hide the player's true value? No.

Rochdale seem happy with them.. Think they netted a few quid on Le Fondre moving to Reading and Lambert to Southampton.