Train Help Needed

Im taking my lad to England v eire at Wembley in may and stopping over for a few days. Now I want to book trains early to save money. The exact dates aren't on yet but Im looking at the trainline to gauge prices. It brings up around £120 return which is pretty decent. However there is an option to book it as two singles which costs £82. This is obviously preferable as it would give us some extra spending money. BUT when I look at the times it shows-

Inward Journey (18 May 2013) Depart Arrive Travel by Train company Duration

14:05

Cricklewood

14:17

London St Pancras Intl Train FIRST CAPITAL CONNECT

00h 12 Calling Points

14:17

London St Pancras Intl

15:00

London Euston Tube n/a

00h 43

15:00

London Euston

17:07

Manchester Piccadilly Train VIRGIN TRAINS

02h 07 Calling Points

Am I expected to be on the connecting train at the exact time the train Im already on arrives? This is clearly impossibe. Can anybody shed any light on this?

As long as you make it to Euston for your Manchester train at 3pm you can choose whatever route you want, that's what I do anyway. The Euston to Manchester train will be the only non negotiable bit of your journey

^That.

Plus it'll be cheaper to get Oyster cards for your London journeys (you can get one when you arrive in Euston (if you can stomach the queue) or online). Your lad might be able to get a schooly one - I think you travel free but I'm not totally sure. It's defo better to get Oysters if you're planning on staying a few days. You can keep them and use them on future trips to our nation's greatest city.

Whichever way you do it, please use the PlayerShare WebShop link to Virgin Trains to book it. The PlayerShare get a chunk of the fare and Latics benefit.

http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/retailers/?search=virgin+trains&order=alpha&page=A

Get a free Bite Card too. Then you can save 20% at over-priced station concessions.

https://www.bitecard.co.uk/Register

Do you have a Friends and Family Railcard? If not, the £20 cost will probably pay for itself on this trip.

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/offer/

If you book the train now, saying you've got the railcard, and then the railcard arrives before you travel that's ok.

Edited by opinions4u

Would I be better advised to just book returns for Manchester to Euston then use an Oyster card for the connections>

Yes. Pay-as-you go Oyster is always cheaper than tickets (although not by much). You pay £5 for the card, so on your first trip you're unlikely to make much of a saving, but like I said, you can keep it and use it again whenever. Plus if you're staying, you can use it to get around London on buses, tubes and boats.

Yes. Pay-as-you go Oyster is always cheaper than tickets (although not by much). You pay £5 for the card, so on your first trip you're unlikely to make much of a saving, but like I said, you can keep it and use it again whenever. Plus if you're staying, you can use it to get around London on buses, tubes and boats.

Really? Like Thames cruises and the like?