Proof Di Canio is not racist

You just know the headline writer's eyes lit up when he saw this opportunity.

Negro directly linked with new Sunderland role alongside Di Canio

6 Apr 2013 09:35

An old friend could join feisty new Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio at the Stadium of Light

[/url]

Share on print

dimain-2501113.jpgPaolo Di Canio

Paolo Di Canio could be reunited with his old Lazio team-mate Paolo Negro if Sunderland appoint a director of football in the summer.

New boss Di Canio took the title of head coach when he arrived on Wearside this week, leading to speculation the Black Cats were considering bringing in a director of football to work alongside him.

Di Canio said in midweek his job title was not significant and was clear he will have the final say over transfers, but that would not preclude the idea of bringing in another man to work with him.

Di Canio was keen to appoint ex-Italy international Negro as director of football at his previous club Swindon Town and, while the move never happened, the 40-year- old still recommended a number of players to the Robins.

However if Sunderland do adopt a Continental management structure, former Lazio defender Negro is sure to figure in Di Canio’s thinking.

Negro played alongside Di Canio at Lazio, but since retiring in 2007 has moved into management with Italian lower-league sides Cerveteri and now Zagarolo.

Di Canio has already installed his own four-strong backroom team on Wearside, with first-team coach Fabrizio Piccareta, goalkeeping coach Domenico Doardo, fitness coach Claudio Donatelli and physio-masseur Giulio Viscardi replacing former boss Martin O’Neill’s coaching staff.

The addition of a director of football would be a first for Sunderland, but it would fit in with owner Ellis Short’s desire to keep a closer eye on the Black Cats’ transfer dealings with the American understood to have privately questioned some of the signings made by previous bosses Steve Bruce and O’Neill.

Even if a director of football is brought in, Di Canio will still have a major say in transfers as he looks to build a squad capable of playing high-tempo, attacking football.

He said: “I have seen how defensive Sunderland have been. I do not want it to be like that. I want to change it.”

You just know the headline writer's eyes lit up when he saw this opportunity.

Negro directly linked with new Sunderland role alongside Di Canio

6 Apr 2013 09:35

An old friend could join feisty new Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio at the Stadium of Light

Share on printShare on email

dimain-2501113.jpgPaolo Di Canio

Paolo Di Canio could be reunited with his old Lazio team-mate Paolo Negro if Sunderland appoint a director of football in the summer.

New boss Di Canio took the title of head coach when he arrived on Wearside this week, leading to speculation the Black Cats were considering bringing in a director of football to work alongside him.

Di Canio said in midweek his job title was not significant and was clear he will have the final say over transfers, but that would not preclude the idea of bringing in another man to work with him.

Di Canio was keen to appoint ex-Italy international Negro as director of football at his previous club Swindon Town and, while the move never happened, the 40-year- old still recommended a number of players to the Robins.

However if Sunderland do adopt a Continental management structure, former Lazio defender Negro is sure to figure in Di Canio’s thinking.

Negro played alongside Di Canio at Lazio, but since retiring in 2007 has moved into management with Italian lower-league sides Cerveteri and now Zagarolo.

Di Canio has already installed his own four-strong backroom team on Wearside, with first-team coach Fabrizio Piccareta, goalkeeping coach Domenico Doardo, fitness coach Claudio Donatelli and physio-masseur Giulio Viscardi replacing former boss Martin O’Neill’s coaching staff.

The addition of a director of football would be a first for Sunderland, but it would fit in with owner Ellis Short’s desire to keep a closer eye on the Black Cats’ transfer dealings with the American understood to have privately questioned some of the signings made by previous bosses Steve Bruce and O’Neill.

Even if a director of football is brought in, Di Canio will still have a major say in transfers as he looks to build a squad capable of playing high-tempo, attacking football.

He said: “I have seen how defensive Sunderland have been. I do not want it to be like that. I want to change it.”

Don't know if it's my laptop, but I need a magnifying glass to read that.

He still is a racist though, hence taking days for someone even to announce his supposed beliefs on behalf of him.

You do realise he also had race issues at Swindon with a black player, right?

Publicity stunts galore.

Don't know if it's my laptop, but I need a magnifying glass to read that.

Same. Had to paste it into Word to read it.

John Terry's praised him, saying "he's told them: 'Tell your wives and your families it's going to be a lot of long days and hard work.' " John Terry praising Di Canio for telling players to tell their wives they're not gonna see much of them. I'm starting to think this is all an elaborate media April Fool that's got out of hand.

Guest Scratch2000uk

:lol: by Nicholas Farrell.

We'll be finding blogs claiming that the Black and Tans were doing nothing but promoting Britishness next, written by authors of Winston Churchill.

I'll leave that one for you to search for. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...