Carl Winchester ... discuss

It's a bit of a myth non league is full of big cloggers, I remember the Yeovil team that came up from the Conference a few years ago as being an excellent footballing outfit with many players possessing the quality to go on and play for Championship clubs, I would go as to far as to say there's more direct and physical football in Division One.

Having said that, the demise of a competitive reserve league in the last couple of seasons has meant those progressing from the youth team have so few games to play they become stale and the step up to league football becomes more difficult.

That's a valuable observation Mr 1960. I don't buy the line that it gets more physical the further down you go (hence the theory that Scholes would be bullied by 3rd division thugs, after facing the baddest bastards in world football) but would it build up a talented skinny kid to play at that level?

Motm for me against Liverpool

Not for me. He produced his best half in a Latics shirt second half, including a moment of brilliance for the third goal but he made a number of errors in the first half and took quite a while to settle into the game. That's understandable but there were a few players ahead of him for MotM.