League Table at 23rd April

Highlights: Only Oafc1895 had the 0-1 defeat but, unfortunately, he predicted it about 7 hours after the match finished :deal:. He got the attendance wrong, too :grin:. Other than that, no fewer than 18 people predicted a single Shrewsbury goal, but none predicted Latics wouldn’t score. Only Stevie_J went for a defeat, 1-2, , so it's his fault :bat:. JoeP changed his mind from a 1-2 defeat to a Latics 2-1 Latics win. 2 points thrown away there :thumbsdown:. Those within 100 of the 5,332 attendance were opinions4u 5,345 (13), iamjonesyyoafc 5,310 (22), mikebOAFC 5,281 (51), boboafc 5,274 (58) and steveoafc 5,425 (93) :applause1:.

Baxter20 missed out on 3 points by being 101 away from the correct attendance :disappointed: . It was unfortunate that JoeP and 24hoursfromtulsehill changed their attendance predictions. They would have both missed by just 8. No comment :laught30: .

oldhamtillidie joined in but failed to collect any points and I just loved AndyGortonsMatches prediction of a 7-1 Latics win :laught16:. I’ll have a pint of whatever he was drinking at the time.

I do believe that I hear a noise in the distance. Is the fat lady clearing her throat?

13-04-23prem.jpg

13-04-23champ.jpg

Highlights...

Something fun we do on our (and it seems common to be fair) NFL predictions league is to have the final games be a playoff.... so 3rd game from the end of the season would become the last league game (24's moment in the sun) and then penultimate game would be (on the league above) You -vs- Steve and then Joe -vs- pk in a direct prediction shoot out... winners play each other in the play off final prediction of the final game (ie Orient tomorrow)..... it adds a second period of excitement to it once the league is decided?

Just an idea I thought I'd chuck out there for you folks.

Something fun we do on our (and it seems common to be fair) NFL predictions league is to have the final games be a playoff.... so 3rd game from the end of the season would become the last league game (24's moment in the sun) and then penultimate game would be (on the league above) You -vs- Steve and then Joe -vs- pk in a direct prediction shoot out... winners play each other in the play off final prediction of the final game (ie Orient tomorrow)..... it adds a second period of excitement to it once the league is decided?

We could also introduce two conferences. Exiles in one, "local people" in the other.

For the play-offs, there'd have to be blind predictions. Deadline the day before the game.

What do people not in the play-offs do? Do they just :censored: off out of it?

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

It's probably got some legs, this, so how about this for an idea? I'm looking at an extra points system for next season by introducing predictions for the correct half time and full time results. Stevie_J mentioned a while ago about it being a subscription entry to raise funds for Playershare and give cash prize(s), so I've prepared some templates identical to the current four division set up. I'm not sure we could attract 92 participants, but it would raise a fair old dolllop of cash if we did, both for prizes and Playershare.

That's where I think Ackey's idea can come in. Once the season is over, those in the play off positions predict the actual play off games in the same way as the Latics season. If enough join, depending on the subscription fee, it may leave enough for prizes for the final promotion spots. Just a thought if you think it could be worthwhile.

We can't afford to pay for Mr24's open top bus though.

I was wondering about doing the cup games. Have a prediction league for the cup competitions, top when we go out is cup winner. Then plays the league winner in our last pre-season friendly for the charity shield.

It would mean those who get on board too late to have a title chance in the league can concentrate on the cup. Etc.

I don't mind doing the league table for that if you don't want to Bristol.

It's probably got some legs, this, so how about this for an idea? I'm looking at an extra points system for next season by introducing predictions for the correct half time and full time results. Stevie_J mentioned a while ago about it being a subscription entry to raise funds for Playershare and give cash prize(s), so I've prepared some templates identical to the current four division set up. I'm not sure we could attract 92 participants, but it would raise a fair old dolllop of cash if we did, both for prizes and Playershare.

That's where I think Ackey's idea can come in. Once the season is over, those in the play off positions predict the actual play off games in the same way as the Latics season. If enough join, depending on the subscription fee, it may leave enough for prizes for the final promotion spots. Just a thought if you think it could be worthwhile.

We can't afford to pay for Mr24's open top bus though.

1. I'm all for a subscription league next season in aid of Playershare. £5 in? More? Less?

2. Not sure about prizes. How much do you reckon? A :censored: trophy (for which the winner pays P&P) would be enough I reckon. For me, winning is good for its own sake. If you're focusing on the prize, you're not using all your energy for the game itself.

3. Not sure how HT scores would work. Can you demonstrate? My instinct is points for result, correct scores, scorer and attendance is plenty of variables.

4. All for play-offs as well, but not this season. I don't really follow the higher echelons of the league, and besides, a title is a title. I ain't gambling it in some BS add-on.

I'm an outside to this, I suck at predictions full stop, but I would say it works better predicting 44/46 games as "the league" and just using the last two league games as the playoffs (those not involved can play for fun but the league itself ends at game 44) as you're then not asking people to predict anyone other than Latics...?

How about the cup game prediction idea being used to fund owtb?

League games = PlayerShare

Cup games = owtb

Or, to save confusion, do 50 / 50 split on any profit.

They're both great causes. Why not a 50/50 split for both comps?

Not sure about the cup competition. The problem is there might be only three games to go off. Put another way, it's odds on we'll have only three games to go off.

Me brain's all confuddled now, innit? This will obviously need careful consideration during the close season. Who gets the deciding vote on what we do? Answers in a plain, brown envelope to be left under the third dustbin on the left behind Saucy Sal's Gentleman's Club.

Edited by Bristolatic

1. I'm all for a subscription league next season in aid of Playershare. £5 in? More? Less?

2. Not sure about prizes. How much do you reckon? A :censored: trophy (for which the winner pays P&P) would be enough I reckon. For me, winning is good for its own sake. If you're focusing on the prize, you're not using all your energy for the game itself.

3. Not sure how HT scores would work. Can you demonstrate? My instinct is points for result, correct scores, scorer and attendance is plenty of variables.

4. All for play-offs as well, but not this season. I don't really follow the higher echelons of the league, and besides, a title is a title. I ain't gambling it in some BS add-on.

1. I can't make decisions about a lot of this, because I don't have the authority, but I was thinking maybe £10. It's what we paid for the World Cup one.

2. Again, it's not my decision. That would be down to Stevie_J, Zorrro, Ackey, Rummy etc, but I'd hope a fair old wedge would go to Playershare.

3. This was what I thought for the points system and it wouldn't take me much more to work it all out than it does now. I wondered if the extra points might make it more of a battle?

HeaderTest.jpg

4. Just picking up on the play off suggestion and expanding it. I simply thought that a League decided when there are still two games left may be a bit awkward, so expanded it into a "virtual play off" scenario.

There's plenty of time to consider the options, if we change it at all and, as I say, others will have the decisions to make on any subscriptions/prize(s). It gives the Mods summat to do! :D I'll go with whatever is decided. As long as it's not too difficult and doesn't keep me up all night! :coffee1:

Edited by Bristolatic

I'm against HTs on the ground that some people find FTs, first scorers and attendances difficult enough.

£10 entry is fine by me but there's kids on here and the odd student (hi rudematic!) who might baulk. We don't want a premier league of predictors, pricing perfectly respectable guesswork monkeys out of the game.

Or maybe we do. Those who can pay are in the premier league and eligible for the title. Those who don't can play, but in some distant second tier, third or fourth tier, pressing their noses against the window. Good reflection of the modern football system.

If you're compiling the league (everyone is deeply grateful) either you can't play or the prize has to be tokenistical. People will groan otherwise. It's bollocks but they will.

We'll sort something out.

I'm against HTs on the ground that some people find FTs, first scorers and attendances difficult enough. Yes, I know you do. :grin: Fair comment, though. I was just looking at ways of making it a bit more interesting..

£10 entry is fine by me but there's kids on here and the odd student (hi rudematic!) who might baulk. We don't want a premier league of predictors, pricing perfectly respectable guesswork monkeys out of the game. Again, a valid point. It wouldn't be my decision anyway.

Or maybe we do. Those who can pay are in the premier league and eligible for the title. Those who don't can play, but in some distant second tier, third or fourth tier, pressing their noses against the window. Good reflection of the modern football system. But divisive. It's not democratic.

If you're compiling the league (everyone is deeply grateful) either you can't play or the prize has to be tokenistical. People will groan otherwise. It's bollocks but they will. If it was to be a subscription thing, I would contribute, but not take part. Seriously. What a gent.

We'll sort something out.