Tour De France 2013

As you say, Kennaugh worked his socks off at the front. I thought Sky might struggle with the lead riders now that Mick Rogers has gone, but what a ride he did.

And thanks to Tommy Voeckler for his regular rampage with his own style of riding with his head swinging and talking to himself.

Wow. I expected Sky to keep a metronome rhythm at the front, but for Froome to decimate the race like that was fantastic to watch.

Is Contador able to match it and is waiting, or has he been caught out? And Evans looked knackered at the end, but also well done to Quintana for his breakaway. It's a shame that ITV 4 decided to have yet another advert break just as it was forming in the last 7 kilometers. Glad that I keep the commentary on Eurosport and listen to that rather than Hinge and Bracket.

It's only the start of the Alps and there's the double ascent of Alpe d'Huez to come.

A big mountain stage tomorrow, should be more fun. And I haven't a clue if there'll be a breakaway or the main contenders will stay together for the final ascent, but I can't wait to find out.

It's not even the Alps yet. They have a rest day tomorrow, and then a few flat days and a TT this week before hitting Ventoux at the end of the longest stage of tour on Sunday. And then they hit the Alps for the last week. That last week looks a killer.

I haven't seen a stage like that for ages. I expected yet another breakaway that would be wound in, but as you say, Saxo Bank played a blinder.

Contador said that he was waiting to hit top form in the third week, watch them turn the screw on Froome in the mountains, especially if Belkin decide to get invloved as well.

Froome looks absolutely knackered. If he manages to win this tour, he really does deserve it.

I think Froome is going to have to put time into his rivals on next weeks time trials, because there are a few stages from now on in where I can see him losing time. Cannot wait for Ventoux on Sunday and the d'Huez double ascent on Thursday.

Absolutely, If Froome can win this with 2 of his team out it will prove what a good rider he is, seriously think Eddie will be missed as he is great at driving on the front on the the lower slopes, More work for Stan and Kennaugh, also G is not at his best which is to be expected with a fractured pelvis.

Absolutely, If Froome can win this with 2 of his team out it will prove what a good rider he is, seriously think Eddie will be missed as he is great at driving on the front on the the lower slopes, More work for Stan and Kennaugh, also G is not at his best which is to be expected with a fractured pelvis.

Thomas was in Froome's group and drove it on for a spell at the end, he isn't at his best but that was a cracking effort in the circumstances.

I felt a bit sorry for Valverde as he had a puncture at precisely the wrong moment and OPQS were on the attack to try and drop Kittel. I understand there may have been a bit of Karmic justice too, especially with the Belkin attack.

Well done Chris Froome, today proved you are the strongest climber. To see Contador struggling to hold his wheel was a sight to behold. Thought Quintana was going to get the stage win, one day he will put them all to the sword in the mountains.

Indeed, although there is a bit of me that thinks essentially doing a lap of the Alpe could see some teams deliberately having their slow riders to help their better riders up the climb second time around. It might be doable with the time gap and still remain within the time limit.

Well that was some day, Froome must have really been close to the bonk to have Porte get him a gel. But what a ride by Porte, Felt for Van garderen though, you could see he was treading water he must have felt terrible to lose it when so close.

Well that was some day, Froome must have really been close to the bonk to have Porte get him a gel. But what a ride by Porte, Felt for Van garderen though, you could see he was treading water he must have felt terrible to lose it when so close.

Froome bonked, Sky broke the rules because it was worth it, he would have lost more than the 20 seconds without it.

Van Garderen paid for having to catch up on the descent after breaking his chain, but Riblon went off so had his own catching up to do. Pleased for AG2R though after Peraud yesterday, that crash looked nasty without the landing on a broken clavicle, he has balls that's for sure.

It was a great stage today. Did feel for van Garderen when Riblon burned past him. Its amazing how quickly they can open gaps in the high mountains. It wasn't that far from the end when he passed him, but he beat him by a minute.

Would have been interesting to see how much time Froome would have lost had he not got the energy gel.

Tomorrow should be good. Hopefully Movistar will attack on the first 2 climbs to see if Froome is feeling the strain. I think he will be alright though. I'd back Quintana to put some time on Contador tomorrow and finish 2nd overall. Quintana is only 7 points behind Froome in the KoM too, so that could be interesting.