Clough post-match interview (07/08/13)

Clough very complimentary, by all accounts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCS2KZtwq1A

My tuppence worth;

- Great attendance, I'm not much of a singer but I wish those that did had kept on throughout the game. Especially in the second half when maybe our heads began to bow a little.

- Left the game with a lot of respect for Derby. Big, strong team who by all accounts had the measure of us and adapted to playing against us in a way that I doubt the majority of League 1 will have the sense to do. Derby highlights - their scorer celebrating in front of the building site, and their sub keeper playing catch with a wee lad at the front of the Chaddy during half time.

- A defeat not to be ashamed of. We lost against a VERY solid Championship side (who were far more switched on than Huddersfield the other week) We could've won it had luck been a little more on our side (goal line clearances etc.) but the positives, and especially the first half definitely outweight everything else. Hopefully the 4k+ home fans will realise this and come back on Saturday.

MoM. That big sod Sammon. No end of trouble. For us? Tarky was a good shout by the sponsors but I think Brown shone at the back for me. Gets better game after game and should be by far the least of anyones concerns.

How's that for a first post? Now, back to lurking..

:comeon:

I've been reading long enough to know your type, Sly ;)

Aye since June brother....but who were you before?

Just watched the entire interview on dcfc.co.uk, wasn't happy with their first half at all. Clough doesn't shy away from naming names who he isn't pleased with either!!

Been lurking for longer than that. First time poster, for real.

Had a quick read of the Derby forum too, they think Sammon's a bag of spanners! Most of them predicted an Oldham win too. Post-match feedback seems to be consistent in the panning of their own defence and that "Oldham looked like they were going to score every time they went forward".

Conor Sammon looked like Luca Toni last night against Tarkowski & Mellor. Very naive defending, couldn't read his movement off the ball, and he frequently found himself sitting between the 2 of them - with neither of them taking accountability for him.

I like the idea of having 2 ball playing centre halves, but at the end of the day, we need Cliff Byrne (or an experienced centre half on loan - unlikely) in there with Tarkowski (who by all accounts had his worst game for a while last night).

Going forward we look like a championship team - the problem being defensively we look like a league 2 team.

I'd say we'll have more than enough for most teams in this division going forward, but until LJ bites the bullet and either brings in Byrne or even moves Grounds to Centre Half (Mellor to LB) then I can see us being on the end of as many beatings as we give out !!

Quoting from dcfc.co.uk: Clough:

Oldham made Derby work hard for their win and Clough was, on the whole, pleased with his sides’ performance to avoid what would have been a fifth successive exit at the first time of asking.He told Rams Player: “It’s a great win and we’re very pleased.

“Oldham are good side and Lee Johnson has got them playing some excellent stuff.“We watched them in pre-season and on Saturday at Stevenage, and given what we saw from them in those games we knew it wasn’t going to be easy.

“It was a tough one, especially in the first half, and they caused us some problems early on when we were playing it too much like a practise match for our liking. “Towards the end of the half, and in the second half, we were much more at it, got in their faces, showed some aggression and defensively we were excellent.

Where on earth was the TV camera? I couldn't see them from where I was sitting to the right of the director's bit in the George Hill Stand.

There was one under the sponsor suite (corner of george hill stand)

A couple right of the tunnel.