Dayton

On the wing he was dire. Lost the ball almost every time he got it, was muscled about by everybody and his crossing wasn't up to standard.

However, when he cut inside he was like a completely different player. Assisted the goal from there, had some really good shots and set up Rooney's 1-on-1.

So to address the dilemma about which wingers to play, the strikers having to come short for the ball to link with deeper midfielders and the problem of every player that gets the ball on the edge of the box shooting wildly wide and high, why don't we instead play Dayton in the 'Baxter position'?

We could play a lone striker ahead of him or drop Wes (I'm not saying we should, thought he was one of the better players today) to have 2 ahead of him.

Hopefully it would mean that MacDonald and Rooney will look like they've actually met each other before making a striking partnership.

He has talent but imo he's not a winger.

Just my opinion but i'd play him in behind the front man ahead of corey smith.

Out of interest because you seem to have a lot of opinions and obviously know what you're talking about (sarcasm). Who would you play next week? What starting XI? Because with who you've slagged off I don't think there are many players left...

However, when he cut inside he was like a completely different player. Assisted the goal from there, had some really good shots and set up Rooney's 1-on-1.

So to address the dilemma about which wingers to play, the strikers having to come short for the ball to link with deeper midfielders and the problem of every player that gets the ball on the edge of the box shooting wildly wide and high, why don't we instead play Dayton in the 'Baxter position'?

Was actually thinking this recently as well. I wasn't there yesterday so can;t comment on that but he looked really good against Preston playing more centrally.

Out of interest because you seem to have a lot of opinions and obviously know what you're talking about (sarcasm). Who would you play next week? What starting XI? Because with who you've slagged off I don't think there are many players left...

grow up.

I'd try him behind two strikers at home, but you'd need the wingers to be disciplined, get narrow and tight (4-3-1-2) and then break into the space when they get the ball and have a chance to use their pace. Two up top still leaves you the option of longer balls, with a fellow striker and Dayton there to win second balls. This overcomes the 4-4-1-1 problem where the top man is just too isolated.

The last time this system tactic was used brilliantly and totally out of the blue...............

Paul Dickov, v Liverpool.

And absolute criminal that it wasn't used against Everton away when we'd have been pummelling Smith and Simpson against their defence that was conceding aerial goals for fun at the time.

Anyway, the reason I like it is that it gives the team flexibility.

The full-backs really have to get forward to combat the lack of width, or, as how we played against Liverpool, the wingers have to carry the ball out into space quickly (Croft did this, and Winchester did it for Wabara goal) and release it so we don't get creamed on the break down the middle.

But if we can't dictate the pace and pass the ball terribly, we'd get over-run in central midfield.