Di canio sacked

Di Canio's style of picking fights with top level players doesn’t work any more. In the lower leagues it can do. The players lower down need the money and will put up with it. Plus he could always say to the players. ”I was a top player cos I did this – now you do it”.

Players like John O Shea and Giaccorini (sp) have been at big clubs, been successful and have not worked like that.

Guest Scratch2000uk

His political views aside i thought he was a passionate hungry manager and honest about his players and their performances. Probably more at fault are the players and their disgust at being labeled undisciplined, egotistical obnoxious or temperamental both on and off the pitch,

Sunderland will get a new manager who doesn't do all those things that Di Cano did, but suspect they will eventually end up with the same fate.

As far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with his alleged political views. I couldn't care less about them, they have no relevance whatsoever to his role as a football manager.

And are you seriously telling me that the likes of John O'Shea are too soft to take honest and deserved criticism? How many Fergie hairdryers do you think he faced in a decade at Old Trafford?

Di Canio's colossal ego, habitual bullying of staff and players, public humiliation of individual players, publicly blaming the players for poor performances while bigging up his own management credentials. All of these things make a catastrophically bad manager.

Niall Quinn put it about as clearly as anyone:

"When you're in a battle you need a leader who you all look up to and want to go into a fight with you.

"Paolo Di Canio was ducking out of the battle by blaming the players and saying what a great manager he was."

Edited by garcon

Guest Scratch2000uk

As far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with his alleged political views. I couldn't care less about them, they have no relevance whatsoever to his role as a football manager.

And are you seriously telling me that the likes of John O'Shea are too soft to take honest and deserved criticism? How many Fergie hairdryers do you think he faced in a decade at Old Trafford?

Di Canio's colossal ego, habitual bullying of staff and players, public humiliation of individual players, publicly blaming the players for poor performances while bigging up his own management credentials. All of these things make a catastrophically bad manager.

Niall Quinn put it about as clearly as anyone:

"When you're in a battle you need a leader who you all look up to and want to go into a fight with you.

"Paolo Di Canio was ducking out of the battle by blaming the players and saying what a great manager he was."

From the likes of Fergie? yes, Di Cano isn't in the same league.

Of course everything would have been hunky dory if he had praised the players at every opportunity wouldn't it.

Of course everything would have been hunky dory if he had praised the players at every opportunity wouldn't it.

That wooshing sound is the point flying straight over your head (although I suspect you ducked).

A good manager will back his players to the hilt in public. If he feels it necessary he will even publicly take the blame to deflect it from the players. He does this so that he retains their support when he needs to get them ready for the next match. Occasionally a good manager will criticise his players as a whole group, "we weren't good enough." Very rarely, maybe after a stupid red card, he might answer a direct question by saying the player knows he's made a mistake. A good manager will keep the hairdryer exclusively for private use behind securely locked doors. He may angrily confront players individually or collectively in private to leave them in no doubt as to his expectations. He will then work with them to coach and encourage and develop, to support them in improving as individuals and as a team.

A good manager does not embark on a relentless campaign of bullying and belittling his players, berating them about how good he is and how poor they are, he does not remove any possibility of rest and recuperation between games by unpredictably demanding they report for random training training sessions, he does not publicly slate and privately excommunicate individual players, he does not give the board random, ego-induced ultimatums and he does not confront the fans like some preening peacock with a hard on.

It doesn't matter whether it's football or the office or a military camp. In his time at Swindon and Sunderland Di Canio has displayed just about every possible characteristic of bad management. His ego always far outshone his ability as a player, it's in an entirely different galaxy to his absolute lack of ability as a manager.

Edited by garcon

Sunderlands decision makers they knew all about Di Canio's management style before they hired him...Whooooosh!

As Alan Shearer said on MotD2, one - perhaps naively - assumes they did their due diligence. Di Canio hasn't changed, so they really should have known what to expect. I did - I had it down as a very quick car crash from day one. The fact the Sunderland board made a stupid decision in the first place doesn't make Di Canio any less a bad manager. Chairman Ellis Short's recent judgement doesn't look great, but then everybody expected Martin O'Neill to be the saviour, fans, pundits and all.

The other element we don't really know is how many of the 14 summer signings were Di Canio's and how many were brought in by the Director of Football (can't remember his name).

Guest Scratch2000uk

As Alan Shearer said on MotD2, one - perhaps naively - assumes they did their due diligence. Di Canio hasn't changed, so they really should have known what to expect. I did - I had it down as a very quick car crash from day one. The fact the Sunderland board made a stupid decision in the first place doesn't make Di Canio any less a bad manager. Chairman Ellis Short's recent judgement doesn't look great, but then everybody expected Martin O'Neill to be the saviour, fans, pundits and all.

The other element we don't really know is how many of the 14 summer signings were Di Canio's and how many were brought in by the Director of Football (can't remember his name).

I suspect even Fergie would have struggled to keep his job at Sunderland.

My younger step son lives in Swindon and is a regular at the County Ground. It came as no surprise to him when Di Canio left as he always thought he was bigger than the club. He publicly stated that he had got Swindon promoted from League 2, established them in League 1 and had no more to prove.

I quote "The players were the protagonists, but I did a fantastic job". He was, in his own eyes, fully qualified to manage in the Premiership. Again, I quote. "Paolo Di Canio has declared his readiness to manage in the Premier League by insisting his time with the ‘arrogant and average’ players of League One and Two has taught him valuable lessons."

I bet the Swindon boys just loved that. Arrogant? Look at yourself, Paulo. Read any of his quotes and they nearly all centre around himself.

When he got the Sunderland job, my step son said straight away that he would be sacked before Christmas if he didn't change his ways. He constantly, and publicly, crucified his own players. It was pretty well known that he managed them by belittling them, but never criticised himself.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with those who think he had a rough deal at Sunderland. The biggest mistake was giving him the job in the first place when they knew what his style was.

Edited by Bristolatic