10 game review

Well I went to Stevenage with non-Latic mates promising goals one way or another, we weren't disappointed!

Since then things have gradually become more flat. But it has by no means been a disaster.

The football has been good for the majority of the time and aside from a spell early on in Dickov's 1st season it hasn't been this good since Shez's 06/07 playoff season. That in itself is pretty depressing but we are where we are and as supporters we've just got to hope for the best.

Bad luck has played a small part but there are certainly other factors within our control that we can change that will turn results around rather than just plodding away doing the same things then feeling sorry for ourselves with another 1 goal defeat. That happened last year (without the general quality of performance) and ended with us being way too close for comfort from relegation.

Positives

Style of football - as said above. Maybe I've been spoiled by some of the matches I've seen (Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Preston and, to a lesser extent, Posh) but we have quite a few attack minded players who have the ability to produce moments of magic. Hopefully they don't prove to be confidence players or this could be one very frustrating season.

Passing from defence - this is a luxury that we might have to dispose of in the near future if needs must, but playing Mellor and Grounds there added to the emergence of Tarky has been a plus to our overall style.

Different attacking options - MacDonald, Rooney, JCH, Philliskirk, Millar, Dayton, Schmeltz, Montano. All able to offer something and, regardless of current form, that in itself is much better than previous years.

Tarky at Preston - 'nuff said.

Monty's goal at Stevenage.

Negatives

Results.

Leaky defence - regardless of style it's hard to ignore that we haven't kept a clean sheet this season.

Profligate attack - undoubtedly we've created chances but while I expected our defence to be flawed, it should've been offset by a highly functioning attack. Some have been better than others but every attacker has to take responsibility.

Penalties conceded - something I expect to improve as the players responsible will mature, if it keeps up at the current rate then LJ will have to take responsibility for not stamping it out.

Selling Baxter - it's not been as crucial as I feared it might be last season, but while it might not have been consistent he would've made a difference in a fair few games. Certainly disagree with Corney's "surplus" comment and with Rooney's current form it looks a little foolish. My view is influenced by my opinion that he's the 1st thing somewhere near cult hero that we've had since Eyresy (Chris Taylor deserves a mention though).

Rooney - I think he'll come good and I won't write him off for a while, but no-one can argue that he's not been a disappointment.

Other points

Johnson's selection - neither exclusively positive nor negative. Constantly changing the midfield and attack (minus Smith and Rooney) has unsettled us in the early stages, but he has proven with Baxter and now it seems Rooney that he is happy to drop players who are not performing, regardless of reputation. There aren't many players that Johnson has given a chance yet and that needs to be commended. Could anyone say the same about Dickov?

Oxley - don't think he's been great so far, but his performance at Shrewsbury proved to me that he certainly has the ability.

Next 13 games - So far we've played 7 top half teams and 3 bottom 4 teams. The Crewe and Tranmere results are the most worrying so far as those are the matches we need to be winning and we haven't delivered. Performances against the top half teams have generally been good and hopefully will continue, but first we need to make sure we get key wins from:

Carlisle (H)

Swindon (H)

Colchester (H)

Shrewsbury (H)

and, to a lesser extent:

Bristol City (A)

Gillingham (A)

Shrewsbury (A)

Coventry (A)

The other games are about keeping performance levels high and picking up the odd result while we can. That might sound like the attitude of someone expecting a relegation fight, well to be honest if we can't win the majority of the above games then that's what we'll be in for.

Summary:

Unlike last season there are more signs that things will get better rather than getting worse. For that alone, LJ has earned my patience until at least half way, barring a spectacular disaster. But I'm struggling to think of a manager who could do a better job in the near future in our situation than LJ and I think today's opponents have shown what can happen if patience is shown towards a manager.

Last year I wanted Megson in to save us from relegation and start again this year. Corney took a big gamble with Johnson but while progress might not be obvious in terms of league positions I think we are much further along than we would've been if we had gone for the short term fix last year. Someone earlier this week said we should now go for a Megson/Martin Allen type. I'm now convinced that going for that style of manager would be a big step backwards for many clear reasons.

Can't wait to see us back up a win against Carlisle (proud optimist :wink: ) with having a big go in front of a big away following at Wolves.

A fair and balanced assessment. I believe we are all in this together as a club and should eschew the usual 12 month cycle of change the manager talk and try to see whatever teething issues we have this season. The style if play is refreshing if at times frustratingly without end product. But every game I've seen there has been a positive. Wes was immense yesterday and Winchester is a rare cultured footballer who if he can have an injury free run could be a very influential player. If we can hang onto undoubted talents we have, I'm sure we will have a real chance of finally escaping the ground hog day existence of League 1 and taste the giddy heights of the Championship!

A fair and balanced assessment. I believe we are all in this together as a club and should eschew the usual 12 month cycle of change the manager talk and try to see whatever teething issues we have this season. The style if play is refreshing if at times frustratingly without end product. But every game I've seen there has been a positive. Wes was immense yesterday and Winchester is a rare cultured footballer who if he can have an injury free run could be a very influential player. If we can hang onto undoubted talents we have, I'm sure we will have a real chance of finally escaping the ground hog day existence of League 1 and taste the giddy heights of the Championship!

Bet you were knackered last night after the day you had, was it worth the effort?

Selling Baxter - it's not been as crucial as I feared it might be last season, but while it might not have been consistent he would've made a difference in a fair few games. Certainly disagree with Corney's "surplus" comment and with Rooney's current form it looks a little foolish. My view is influenced by my opinion that he's the 1st thing somewhere near cult hero that we've had since Eyresy (Chris Taylor deserves a mention though).

Sheff U might not be tearing up trees, but we havent won a league game since he left. Would easily have added 4 points on his own by now to this current team.

Sheff U might not be tearing up trees, but we havent won a league game since he left. Would easily have added 4 points on his own by now to this current team.

And in that league game he didn't play (till it was won) - Baxter is an undoubted talent but prior to

him leaving we had also lost 3 and a quick check of the programme reveals he started all 3

Just out of interest, how have you calculated that points haul with / without Baxter? How would he have added points in his own?? Edited by slystallone