artial Nudity, Pyrotechnics, Carlsberg in the stand, baffled stewards & invitations to go fucking mental - yep, it can only be an OAFC away Night….

I’m sure many of us went to Deepdale more in hope than in expectation given how the season has panned out results wise. The performances have been very good but with the minimum of reward. The following didn’t surprise me as us Latics fans have always been an ‘owt for nowt’ bunch and with admission ranging from a quid to a fiver meant that a realistic following of 2-300 for a standard JPT away following was swelled to considerably more.

The previous visit here, televised by Sky Sports saw us dominate from start to finish yet finish on the losing side due to giving two sloppy goals away that both had an element of luck. With only James Tarkowski’s late header being our scantest of rewards for a super show in front of a national audience. Yet in true Latics fashion it took only 15 seconds to get on the score sheet this time round! A quick break straight from the kick off – the ball ricocheted to Adam Rooney and his low ball was scuffed over the line by Danny Philliskirk. The effort was similar to his late effort at Crawley, this time he was a little further out and his mi:censored: effort wrong footed the keeper.

Preston although fielding a weakened line up, had enough experience in there to ensure an even game, but they simply could not cope with Latics pass and move, breaking at pace and shoot on sight policy. Which was refreshing, as time and again this year we have overcooked the move, with little end product. A rasping effort from Joseph Mills was palmed away at full stretch by Stuckmann, before Schmeltz saw a similar effort beaten away.Yet only 9 minutes after Danny Philliskirk’ strike, the boys in blue had scored a second. A quick break saw Wesolowski lay the ball off to James Dayton, his return ball across was hammered like an exocet into the top corner. 2-0 up and cruising, it could have been three when Stuckmann mis-judged a back pass before recovering just in time.

The pass and move was a joy to behold from Latics and although Laird and Garner had sights of goal for Preston, their finishing was poor and remained so all night. The football from Latics in the first-half was some of the best I’ve seen in years. Every player wanted the ball, was comfortable with it, found blue shirts and got on their bike into space. The only downside to an excellent first half was the niggle Tarkowski picked up (although it later transpired he started the game with it). David Mellor replaced him at half-time and was excellent. The second half was always going to be more of a contest with Simon Grayson making a double substitution – bringing seasoned League One defender Tom Clarke into the fold and their talisman Stuart Beavon on to beef up their offensive unit.

Preston probably had the better of the second period, in fairness the game had gone and wasteful finishing time and again from Joe Garner only saw to raise our hopes that the Holy Grail of a clean sheet would finally be achieved for the first time since Yeovil were seen off in April.

All in all a much needed victory and a win to add to the usual great performance. We had Free-flowing all out attack in the first half and a gritty, defiant show in the second. Despite starting with walking wounded, having to substitute players through knocks and another through his over exuberance which was leading to an inevitable second booking.

At the end of the day though it was ‘only’ the JPT - yet for once this season we got our just desserts, namely a game that was not ruined by poor officiating or our awful finishing.

I have to mention the fans, it was a relatively short hop, over to Preston but we had a noisy band follow us. Some with tops off, invitations to go ‘:censored:ing mental’ for large parts of the Second Half, Blue Flares for some reason, Peter (Brian May) was walking home as he thought it ‘scenic’! Brazen Carlsberg consumption in the stands and the Stewards were absolutely baffled by it all. I am not condoning any of it but it was all highly entertaining - if some of it a little dangerous!

Team Ratings:

Rachubka: Little to do as PNE’s finishing was dire. Flapped at one corner but kicking was good and handling solid. Good command of his area and accurate distribution. The experienced voice we need at the back imo. 7

Kusunga: The lad is just so enthusiastic, his pressing forward impressed me. His GBH, ABH and decapitation attempt on the Preston winger not so much. The referee was incredibly lenient a couple of times before finally booking him. Subbed before two yellows made a red. 7

Tarky: Only put his cigar out at half-time when he was subbed. Swapped it for a silk dressing gown and a large brandy. 7

Grounds: Steady and has grown into the role, looks much more comfortable in the middle. 7

Mills: A real threat going forward, solid enough at the back. 7

Schmeltz: All pace, first touch was average, so was his crossing. One good effort on goal forcing a decent save. 6

Wesolowski: I’ve criticized him a lot recently due to his tendency to stay deep and not get forward or even pass forwards but in the last three games I’ve seen (Crewe, Orient and This) him in, he’s been superb and got forward much more. If he can do this more often, we’ll see more of the player we had in the first half of 2011/12 and he can be a goal threat. Two years without a goal for him was ridiculous as his finish proved. 8

Smith: He’s the one currently sitting a few yards deeper than previous. But this allows Wes to get forward, and his passing in the role is not as negative as Wes was back there. 7

Dayton: I’m not convinced this lad is an out and out winger – as he is so effective inside and much more involved AND he gets a bit of protection. If he’s fouled centrally he’s getting more free-kicks than he does isolated out wide. More of the same please. 7

Philliskirk: I knew this lad’s potential years ago. For whatever reason it hasn’t happened but at 22 he’s finally got a manager trusting him to start games. He could have gone into is shell after that miss at Crawley but I thought he was excellent v Orient and again linked well with midfield and his fellow front-man. He’s a cracking footballer, will improve and quickly as he gains much needed experience. 8

Adam: Worked much harder than he has done over the last few weeks, held the ball up, ran the channels and brought others into play. Fed on scraps but he was my MOM. 9

Subs:

Mellor: Back in the fold after his moment of madness at Rotherham and did well in a second half where he needed to stand up and be counted and he did just that. Distribution very good. 7

Belezika: Brought on to replace Kasunga at Right Back and looked steady. 6

Montano: Came on late to replace Mills at Left-back and suffered no drama. 6

All in all we have been feeling a little sorry for ourselves as a team and a group of fans. The world has been against us with bad luck in front of goal and downright rank bad refereeing. Yet on the way there in the car I suggested we needed one to go in off someone’s arse and the worm may just turn. Let’s hope it has…..

Edited by oafcprozac

Good to read Prozac... Kusunga / Sids easy to forget playing in a new environment and doing ok will only get stronger. Fully agree re Philly and good look to the lad.

Harry we won for some reason Prozac has given everyone negative scores ???? A lot of fans went daft THE END.

Ah yes, crap use of punctuation.

'See Me'

Sorry mate you fail OFOWTB miserably. Where is the "What went well" and "Even Better If".... my level and learning objective. "See Me" just isn't good enough anymore.

Yeah :censored: Off Ofsted! Teaching isn't stressful is it Sir Michael? Cock!

And a bigger :censored: Off to Gove…..