What are your Latics moments you'll never forget?

When I first started to follow Latics in 1958 I remember one day asking my dad if he thought that Latics would ever play in the first division or play at wembley. He looked at me kindly and shook his head. Sadly he passed away before Latics achieved both and I must admit as Latics were led out by Joe Royle at the League Cup Final I thought of him and tears welled up in my eyes with pride at my little team. The result was immaterial to me.

Pete's post was the real tear jerker for me. Sheer class. United fans, you'll never experience euphoric, life-affirming emotions like these!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe no-one's mentioned Ryan Sugden relegating Blackpool yet :D

Talking of Blackpool reminds me of another memorable moment. Chaddy the Owl had thrown Bloomfield Bear's boots into the crowd at BP and caused bad blood between the two clubs, with the Police involved. Some months later, in the pub before the game at Blackpool, the boots were produced by a Latics supporter, amidst great amusement and singing by the visitors.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/3310323.stm

If I have to decide, then in no particular order...

1) the penalty

2) the 7 mins at Forest will never be beaten for constant elation

3) the Leeds performance was incredible - Kilkenny immense

4) Olney's 2 late goals to equalise at home to Leeds in 92/93 - memorable for me

5) Being there at Ipswich at 6yrs of age sat next to the Latics fan with all the badges on - I think she was knitting!

P.S. struggle to remember Pointon's goal at Wembley due to attempts to make that last 10mins and the aftermath a repressed memory.

Edited by eyres_28

In no particular order

1) the redfearn penalty, the atmosphere was electric before we scored and indescribable after, although days later heard Stuart pike's commentary-still brings back memories to this day

2) the 'we are staying up' chants for a good 15 minutes after the 4-3 Southampton game, with Joe's lap of honour and all us on the back row of the Ford ( lookers) Stand dancing on the seats-on leaving the ground got many congratulations from the s'ton fans

3)promotion season 1973/4, at least 3 six nil results at home, with such scores as Tony Hately ( mark hately's dad !), Andy Lochead and my particular favourite Colin Garwood overhead kick v Grimsby, as I used to sit on the Rochdale Rd end wall , by the left hand post, and to see goals close up as a 11yr old will stay with me.....

4) Playing Internacional of Brazil in a friendly, not sure what date, but in mid to late seventies

5) Anything and everything that Big Al Grovesy did

Against Latics,

bobby Moore's spectacular own goal playing for Fulham, December 1977?

Cantona's debut at half time for LUFC, getting ball from kick off and running length of pitch, only for pitch to run out on him!

Ray 'butch' Wilkin's free kick for Chelsea at the Rocky Rd end, and realising that standing in that end, to save 10p was not such a fun option any more

Andy Coles hatrick for Toon Army, one of first sky games I think?

Oh and one personal one

My refereeing of a game on the old plastic pitch, between Girobank and my mate's firm at the time, and realising as a ref, you struggle to see the penalty box lines if you are more than 20 yards from the challenge- you go with who shouted loudest!