Hansard

NewBlue

I'm doing a language investigation into the language of Parliament and in the process writing a paragraph about Hansard. Now, I'm sure I've seen that somebody on this site works for Hansard, so if that person see's this topic could they please tell me if a Hansard, shorthand transcriber has a specific job title and if so what it is?

Cheers

I've always been under the impression that Hansard records everything said in Parliament, exactly as it was said, even if our right honourables choose the wrong words, giving us the Parliamentary equivalent of the 'Clips of the Week' on TalkSport every Friday afternoon.However, I was told recently by a very reliable :sauce: that Hansard tidies the words to remove errors of speech. :shock: So every time the PM says "prostrate cancer" it'll be corrected to "prostate cancer", instead of telling him where he is going wrong, so he can correct it himself in future.

Jelly-coworking-whats-not-to-love-pic-fo

Such a :censored:.

I've always been under the impression that Hansard records everything said in Parliament, exactly as it was said, even if our right honourables choose the wrong words, giving us the Parliamentary equivalent of the 'Clips of the Week' on TalkSport every Friday afternoon.However, I was told recently by a very reliable :sauce: that Hansard tidies the words to remove errors of speech. :shock: So every time the PM says "prostrate cancer" it'll be corrected to "prostate cancer", instead of telling him where he is going wrong, so he can correct it himself in future.

Depends what you mean by exactly.

I'm doing a language investigation into the language of Parliament and in the process writing a paragraph about Hansard. Now, I'm sure I've seen that somebody on this site works for Hansard, so if that person see's this topic could they please tell me if a Hansard, shorthand transcriber has a specific job title and if so what it is?

Cheers

I'm happy to help. The people who create Hansard are called Hansard Reporters. Any other questions, let me know.

Thanks, 24Hours.

It was a nuisance writing an analysis based upon a transcript that I eventually found out was slightly altered - I had to start over again, altering the already altered Hansard transcripts!

It's a shame it's not verbatim, but I don't think it'd be necessary to report all of Ed Miliband's stutters...

Edited by NewBlue

Verbatim.

Have you any idea what that would actually look like?

Thanks, 24Hours.

It was a nuisance writing an analysis based upon a transcript that I eventually found out was slightly altered - I had to start over again, altering the already altered Hansard transcripts!

It's a shame it's not verbatim, but I don't think it'd be necessary to report all of Ed Miliband's stutters...

It's not a transcript. It's a substantially verbatim report. Transcribing is a totally different thing, especially for English language studies purposes.

Like a court reporter's accurate and impartial verbatim record.

As if court reports are accurate or verbatim! If you can be bothered to pay the £400 for one, you'd see that they're sketchy, especially when it comes to rapid exchanges and people talking over each other, which is understandable. What's not understandable is the unbelievable number of typos and grammar errors and errors of meaning. I spit on so-called verbatim court reports.

I'm happy to help. The people who create Hansard are called Hansard Reporters. Any other questions, let me know.

I think he wanted more detail. The ones who do the typing in Westminster Hall debates are called Treacles. If they do well and please the MPs they move on to be Honeys in the Committees, and eventually the top Skirt (as they are generically known) get to flutter their eyelashes in the House itself as Sugarmuffins. After that they move into management positions called Secretaries.