Post war pedigree: where clubs should be playing

Very interesting article but the pedant in me wishes to point out Barnsley finished exactly where they should have last season but are deemed to be below where they should be, as the table doesn't calculate relegation/promotion. Another example is Scunny who finished 1 place above where they should have done, but in actuality the end result was the same, promotion from league 2.

Conversely Hull should have come bottom of the championship, thereby making them a team in this division but as we know they finished in a quite secure 16th in the Prem.

I'd be interested to see how Wimbledon's results affect the position of franchise/AFC Wimbledon. Technically it's more Franchise than AFC, but Franchise's history is well known.

Also how if you factor in teams in the conference or below, especially the likes of Stockport, where they should end up, especially in relation to the likes of Fleetwood?

Surely "pedigree" has to include trophies?

And maybe attendances.

In a dynastic sense with respect to the position of teams within a league system, attendances and trophies have little or no influence. However, I do think the term pedigree is wrongly used in the title of the tables and is misleading to a certain extent, it is more of a deserved league situation based on historical tiered positioning.

Very interesting article but the pedant in me wishes to point out Barnsley finished exactly where they should have last season but are deemed to be below where they should be, as the table doesn't calculate relegation/promotion. Another example is Scunny who finished 1 place above where they should have done, but in actuality the end result was the same, promotion from league 2.

Conversely Hull should have come bottom of the championship, thereby making them a team in this division but as we know they finished in a quite secure 16th in the Prem.

I'd be interested to see how Wimbledon's results affect the position of franchise/AFC Wimbledon. Technically it's more Franchise than AFC, but Franchise's history is well known.

Also how if you factor in teams in the conference or below, especially the likes of Stockport, where they should end up, especially in relation to the likes of Fleetwood?

I suppose you have to stop somewhere.

I reckon the only way to get a true deserved position is have a 92 point system ladder, an immense amount of work to undertake - I thought about a 16 point system that broke down each league into quarters, so instead of 4 points for a season in the top flight it would be 16, 15, 14 and 13 points depending on the final position within a league in each season - the other leagues would be the same. An interesting project that would still create a :censored:e load of work, of which I have no time to even begin thinking about.