The greater impact of bad football

I really thought this was relevant and something that Simon and the long term future of the club should be taken into serious consideration for the next generation for Oldham fans that won't be.

This season I brought my 10 year old daughter who was really excited to come and watch after watching the friendlies which were not fantastic, but at least some what entertaining and had goals.

The first few games she remained positive and looked forward to going. As the season has gone on she has lost more and more interest with the games being boring and the lack of entertainment pre game and at half time. I think she has enjoyed the kids playing at half time more than the actual matches.

Today it hit home, we have had no home matches for a while now due to the canceled match the other week and I said are you looking forward to it after not going for so long. She shrugged her shoulders. To which I said whats wrong? do you not want to go, she replies its pretty boring and that she doesn't want to return next season. Then said she would rather go watch another team where it is more exciting to watch. Oldham have not manage to create any kind of affinity with her.

She cant even buy a chaddy the owl cuddly toy at the shop. Chaddy the owl was always something that I remember that grew my affinity to the club at a younger age, a bit of fun that you can relate too. Going a bit of topic but its just a little point.

I always remember when I was a that age and my dad took me, it was entertaining, pre match, during the match at half time with various things going. Even during relegation seasons, where we fought to stay up and didn't.

With this style of play, lack of investment and drab football keep us in the division. Maybe , maybe not. But in the long term we are losing the next generation of fans as well as current ones. That is the most damaging long term effect on the club.

Would we be happier watching the team go for it and create and score goals and potentially concede more as well? We may get relegated because the players are not good enough, but we would be entertained. We may get relegated anyway on this style of football and lack of entertainment. Will many fans return next season? maybe not. If it was more entertaining maybe they would.

I just think its interesting and worrying that the club has lost so much focus on the long term, the future fans and the fact that we should be entertained before, half time and during the match from the football.

Maybe Simon should sit down with a focus group of the younger fans. The future of the football club.

Edited by Mark_83

I really thought this was relevant and something that Simon and the long term future of the club should be taken into serious consideration for the next generation for Oldham fans that won't be.

This season I brought my 10 year old daughter who was really excited to come and watch after watching the friendlies which were not fantastic, but at least some what entertaining and had goals.

The first few games she remained positive and looked forward to going. As the season has gone on she has lost more and more interest with the games being boring and the lack of entertainment pre game and at half time. I think she has enjoyed the kids playing at half time more than the actual matches.

Today it hit home, we have had no home matches for a while now due to the canceled match the other week and I said are you looking forward to it after not going for so long. She shrugged her shoulders. To which I said whats wrong? do you not want to go, she replies its pretty boring and that she doesn't want to return next season. Then said she would rather go watch another team where it is more exciting to watch. Oldham have not manage to create any kind of affinity with her.

She cant even buy a chaddy the owl cuddly toy at the shop. Chaddy the owl was always something that I remember that grew my affinity to the club at a younger age, a bit of fun that you can relate too. Going a bit of topic but its just a little point.

I always remember when I was a that age and my dad took me, it was entertaining, pre match, during the match at half time with various things going. Even during relegation seasons, where we fought to stay up and didn't.

With this style of play, lack of investment and drab football keep us in the division. Maybe , maybe not. But in the long term we are losing the next generation of fans as well as current ones. That is the most damaging long term effect on the club.

Would we be happier watching the team go for it and create and score goals and potentially concede more as well? We may get relegated because the players are not good enough, but we would be entertained. We may get relegated anyway on this style of football and lack of entertainment. Will many fans return next season? maybe not. If it was more entertaining maybe they would.

I just think its interesting and worrying that the club has lost so much focus on the long term, the future fans and the fact that we should be entertained before, half time and during the match from the football.

Maybe Simon should sit down with a focus group of the younger fans. The future of the football club.

You actually summed up today's performance before the game.