Season Previews

There's a really detailed one from a Charlton fan here:

https://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2017/07/25/chris-powells-flat-cap-league-one-preview-201718-part-three/ 

And a less detailed one by the Football Lab here:

http://www.thefootballab.co.uk/2017/league-one-season-preview-2017-18/ 

Neither expect us to do well which I disagree with, but I do think it'll be a very close league this year.  Possibly a lower than average Playoff tally but a higher than average Relegation tally.

I think we'll start better than most but fade and finish 13th.

The keeper is the key and whether we can secure another midfielder that can add a spark plus a little steel at the heart of the team.

My concern that whilst we have strengthened on paper up front, we have too much fluff in the middle to pull the strings.  One signing in Gardner - who lets face it was in and out with injury in a relegated team last season - doesn't account but the uncertainty of Flynn, Banks or Green to rip up trees.

Will McLaughlin be sacrificed next week to get us a decent keeper and midfielder? Personally I'd love us to get Palmer back from Burton and also some loans from the Prem to fill the defensive midfielder requirements and someone out wide to replace McLaughlin.

Personally speaking we are still 5 players light if we pruned some of the deadwood.

A very big week next week ready for kick-off and maximise the opportunity in remaining transfer window period.  

10th place is my goal to break the continuous flirtation with relegation.

Edited by Midsblue

31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How many of the players we have signed would be coveted by rivals?

Duffus maybe?  But you're right, not very many.

However I quite like that we are under the radar to many people.  We don't have a lot of big name players but I have good reason to think that Shez will get the best of most of them, either he has done before (Davies) or he has found the best way to play them in the current setup (take your pick).

I know Bury are an easy target for example, but while they've signed a lot of "big name" players over the summer, I wouldn't want Lee Clark to be the one to get them to gel.  They look like an accident waiting to happen.

11 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

There's a really detailed one from a Charlton fan here:

https://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2017/07/25/chris-powells-flat-cap-league-one-preview-201718-part-three/ 

He doesn't understand us & Shez though he? 

"to supporters of Oldham John Sheridan is like a soothing hug, followed by a warm cup of tea."

Eh? More like a gram of coke, strippers & a night in the cells surely? 

I've learnt never to read much into these season previews. Every season there is usually a surprise package or two and on the flip side there is a team or teams that struggle when tipped to do well. Hopefully we will be a surprise package this season.