Diego Cervero = God!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't realised that, less than twelve months ago, Real Oviedo, the club that produced Mata, Cazorla and Michu, was close to going out of business. Michu and Diego Cervero were best friends and together they had helped the club win promotion from the third division to the second B, but the club was on the verge of liquidation.

However, thanks to a Twitter campaign by Sid Lowe (of The Guardian), the three ex home-grown players now in the Greedy League put their hands in their pockets and more than 20,000 people in 60 countries purchased €1.9 million worth of shares @ €10.75 each to help save the club. A local radio station contacted the son-in-law of the world’s wealthiest man, Mexican telecommunications magnate Carlos Slim, and joked that he should come and save the club. On the final day of the share issue Slim bought €2m worth of shares. He owns 32.44% of the shares but the fans are the majority shareholder with 40.81% of the club.

The club was so grateful it announced that, for every single new international shareholder, whenever they go to Real Oviedo, they can go for free.

‘The Real Oviedo Story’ is a short film about fan support. It features interviews with Michu, Sid Lowe, Diego Cervero and others.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/05/17/the-real-oviedo-story-a-must-see-short-film-featuring-michu-and-sid-lowe-video/

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try & see if he still fancies a move to latics when I see him early next year.

He did ask for a latics shirt with his name & number on the back , which I sent to him. So he clearly still loves the owl.

Here's more on Diego & the Oldham shirt:

http://ahuskyworld.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/diego-cervero-is-latic.html?m=1

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Can't we sign him now? He's got to be worth a dabble or is he out of our price range?

He signed a three-year contract in 2012, and at the start of the third year he voluntarily took a pay-cut. In 2008, after finishing his medical studies and when he was top scorer in the league with 26 goals, he asked me to enquire about the possibility of him retuning to have another go with Latics, his first choice. He was even prepared to play at a lower level. I passed his enquiry to Alan Hardy, who put it to Shez, but alas he still wasn't interested. AH passed his enquiry on to Rochdale and Bury.

He told me last year he would have loved to play in England. He's 32 in August and has been mainly a substitute this season, although he's Club captain. His medical commitments must be restrictive too....unless the NHS are looking for imports!