BPAS PODCAST: 27th Mar '23, S3E31: A World of Pure Imagination

Solihull Moors spoiled the party with a late and spectacular equaliser but the main news of the week is that despite the best effort of Captain Shitpeas/Uncle Knobhead/Barry the Hut, Boundary Park and Oldham Athletic are at last under the same ownership. And blessedly, the owners are not Dubai based fantasist with a branch in Grotton.

Find all our links ⁠⁠here⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠here

⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 27th Mar '23, S3E31: A World of Pure Imagination

Another good listen. 

On Bournemouth, I think the losses were £55m (who's counting?), but if I may be so bold as to correct Matt, their ticket sales make next to no difference to their revenue, as long as they are in the EPL. I remember throwing money into a bucket to keep them afloat not so long ago, which suggests to me  that the club has learned absolutely nothing about costs control over the years.

Your points about player wages and the financial profligacy of the EPL are well made. I think I am right in saying that in the last transfer window Chelsea spent more than the whole of the top Divisions in France, Germany, Spain and Italy combined, which is staggering when you think about it. 

More pertinent to your discussion about grassroots football is the fact that something like 90% of the money that the EPL gets in broadcasting revenue this season will go to the twenty clubs in the Division plus half a dozen or so receipt of parachute payments. Almost every season, the parachute clubs get more than the rest of the  EFL combined. The inequalities involved are grotesque, and for all its apparent riches, the EPL as a whole carries historical debts that run into several billions, and the vast majority of the clubs in it will lose a lot of money this year. It is the economics of  the madhouse. 

Fighting for change therefore continues to be very important, and one thing that really perplexes me is that the vast majority of fans neither know nor care about it - until it affects their cub. Matt was talking about the future of the Foundation, and if our experience is anything to go by you will find that the transition from protest group to club partner is more difficult than you might think. You'll be amazed how quickly some people forget what having rubbish ownership was like ; or why it has to be confronted everywhere it raises its ugly head.  Many will also forget why it is still important that you continue to be vigilant AND supportive of the current custodians of the club ; they seem like good people to me, but the fact of the matter is that you - as a collective - will be around a lot longer than they will.

• Matt featured this topic
  • Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived