I can't argue with his scoring record, but he has to have the team performing for him. If Barry and Heskey don't play in the next game there will be a public outcry and the demand of Mclaren's head on a plate. As for 'the best team of players', that is the way it should be. Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm signing into the "Michael Owen Is Rubbish" Club.

The only conceivable reason that MacLaren is picking him is to give him a few more caps before he is injured again.

I'd pick Rooney; Bent; Ashton; Nugent; Johnson; Defoe; Beattie and probably even Michael Ricketts before him.

Well wee Michael Owen is rubbish eh?

I can't argue with his scoring record, but he has to have the team performing for him.

Isn't that the same for all "great" strikers?

They wouldn't be "great" if they fannied about on the left and right wing and outside the box all game imo! ( although a completely different level - a criticism from some quarters already regarding Davies and Ricketts!)

Owen is and will be one of Englands greatest ever centre forwards, forget your Sheringham, Wrights et al, he'll go on to beat the record without a salmon!

Owen took his goals well, Heskey fed him well, the team played well. What I will still say though is that I don't like Owen (do I really remind you of James Stannage). Yes Owen scores goals there's no doubting that, but could he play in a 451 and lead the line on his own like Shearer had to do a lot.

Why would he need to play in a 4-5-1? 4-4-2 is the answer, it's the way we have brought up to play. That's why we have been good in the last 2 matches. 2 wingers, big man/small man combo up front. I really thought Owen was gonna struggle after his last injury but he has come back and looks back to his best which is fantasticv news for Engerland and the Toon Army. Sheer class! Don't think he would be starting for us though, good option to come on for us for the last 20 minutes and nab us one!

Owen took his goals well, Heskey fed him well, the team played well. What I will still say though is that I don't like Owen (do I really remind you of James Stannage). Yes Owen scores goals there's no doubting that, but could he play in a 451 and lead the line on his own like Shearer had to do a lot.

I think he could do that very well - not standing back to goal waiting for long punts with his elbows out, which was all Shearer was good for in the last few years for England, but making a nuisance of himself to create space for attacking midfielders a la Nuno Gomez for Portugal in 2000, no problem