Michael Owen is a living England legend.

Anyone who has written any of the above ridiculous reports please tell me who else would have scored a wonder goal against Isreal in the 49th minute last Saturday.

You do not get to 38 international goals by being a one trick pony.

Show some respect and football knowledge to acknowledge a striker that will be talked about for many, many years to come, long, long after Shearer, Wright, Sheringham, Johnson et, all - except messrs Greaves, Linekar and Charlton (for now).

What odds another OWEN goal against the Ruskies on Wednesday?

Wonder goal indeed and before the game I would have given you odds of 500/1 that Owen would have scored from outside the box. I believe that was the first time in his whole career that he has scored from outside the penalty area. Gerrard and Lampard do that quite regularly and don't get anywhere near as many opportunities. I'm not knocking the strike at all and it was a great finish - wouldn't matter who we were playing as no keeper would have saved it.

That said, we were playing a woeful Israel side and so he got several good opportunites and took just one - completely out of the blue. Will he score against Russia? Hopefully he will. The chances are though that he will soon be injured again. His career is plagued with hamstring strains and to me, that is robbing him both physically and psychologically of that blistering turn of pace that helped him get his previous 37 strikes.

I hope that I am wrong and that he goes on to fire us to European and World Cup glory. One goal for Newcastle and a strike against a Championship-level side in Israel does not yet herald the return of the Messiah.

In my "ridiculous"; "disrespectful" and "poor-footballing knowledge" opinion of course. :wink:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the goal scoring record of a RUBBISH STRIKER GUYS AND GALS

Years Club App (Gls)*

1996–2004 Liverpool 216 118

2004–2005 Real Madrid 34 13

2005– Newcastle 17 08

and of course for the MIGHTY ENGLAND 84 38

hey if he had been any good just think what he could of done.

Edited by neiladamsheadband

Hmmmm, this equates to a smidgin over 24 games per season (approx). Good scoring record, just like Killen.

A bit unfair as he only played the last two games of his opening season due to being seven.

When you look at it he has missed a couple of seasons through injury (the last two). IF he comes back to anything near he was before* then this isn't even debatable. Are we to take him out of the side in the hope that Emile Heskey suddenly becomes a goalscorer, as Wayne Rooney hasn't got the goals at international level to the same standard yet. In fact, that Rooney's just a crock. He's been injured a couple of times in as many competitions, is it worth bothering with him? I mean he hasn't put the ball in the net with the same regularity as Owen when fit - we may as well replace him with a player that stays fit. Who are we down to now? Steve Howard?

*And I don't mean just pace. Players adapt to scenario's such loss of pace (see Alan Shearer).

A bit unfair as he only played the last two games of his opening season due to being seven.

Eh? His career began in 1996 and we are in 2007 that makes 11 years. According to the stats provided he has played a total of 267 club games which gives an average of 24.27r games per season.

hat said, we were playing a woeful Israel side and so he got several good opportunites and took just one - completely out of the blue. Will he score against Russia? Hopefully he will.

We also played a woeful Israel side in March and had several opportunities. Michael Owen wasn't playing in that game and we drew 0-0.

Fouth highest goalscorer in England history, and I think I am right in saying that he has scored more competitive goals (24) than anyone ever to wear the Three Lions. Like neiladamsheadband said, just think what he would have been like if he was any good.

We also played a woeful Israel side in March and had several opportunities. Michael Owen wasn't playing in that game and we drew 0-0.

Fouth highest goalscorer in England history, and I think I am right in saying that he has scored more competitive goals (24) than anyone ever to wear the Three Lions. Like neiladamsheadband said, just think what he would have been like if he was any good.

well said dave, could you imagine it after sat all the doom and gloom merchants if england had not scored - bloody hell michael owen cant even score against israel bla bla bla bla and so on and so

you just cant win sometimes

Don't think that you really have read what I said on this thread but never mind.

Two good finishes tonight so far from Owen and I for one am delighted to be eating a slice of humble pie for supper!

I really didn't think that he would get back into the goalscoring groove after his injuries. I never disputed he had been good in the past but since his first injury, he hasn't looked half the player. Anyway, seems like he's back in decent form and that is great for England. Let's hope that he steers clear of injuries and can help us win a major Trophy.

Simple isn't it getting a successful England side.

Play 4-4-2, fill the team with players showing good form for their clubs, pick the best team rather than the best 11 individuals. I wonder why no-one has thought of that before even people on £4M a year, and why it took a load of injuries to make it happen!

P.S. The two Cole's were bobbins.

:England:

I accept the unconditional surrender which you texted to me last night. Victory is sweet, as sweet as the strike that brought England's greatest ever centre-forward to goal number 40 :)

When you look, you will see that the message read: I'm starting to think that he's not :censored: . Hardly "unconditional surrender".

I agree with GoC - finally an England manager picks the best team and not the best 11 players and we look balanced with and without the ball, and well capable of doing some proper damage.

Everytime he gets injured people right the kid off....and he just comes back and keeps scoring.....

lol...Michael Owen....average of 1 in two games...and people still find room to rip him apart....isnt football funny :P

sometimes it is strange - people still cant have good things to say - noticed mr footy68(aka James Stannage) has yet to come on and say he is still rubbish yet - look forward to that, cmon dont let us down.

Owen was class but must have a big big word about Heskey though he was outstanding last night - unsung hero in that game for me, and Gareth Barry also was superb, would not change that team for the next game - Russia were a decent outfit who lacked the finishing touch, but credit were credit due , it does not matter how the team was selected the first half was still the best 45 minutes from and england outfit for some time.

Owen took his goals well, Heskey fed him well, the team played well. What I will still say though is that I don't like Owen (do I really remind you of James Stannage). Yes Owen scores goals there's no doubting that, but could he play in a 451 and lead the line on his own like Shearer had to do a lot.

Owen took his goals well, Heskey fed him well, the team played well. What I will still say though is that I don't like Owen (do I really remind you of James Stannage). Yes Owen scores goals there's no doubting that, but could he play in a 451 and lead the line on his own like Shearer had to do a lot.

na only on the owen debate - but different strikers have ability to play better with the formation doesnt make them good bad or indifferent, Owen is a class striker and i think could adapt his game acordingly - again open to debate.

still would leave heskey and owen for next game regardless if roooney fit or not - they work so well together - not a case of your best players but the best team of players - OWEN will be the fist English player to score 50 international goals