call me thick as a brick....

philliggi

call me thick as a brick, but im currently connected to the internet, using a modem, connecting the phoneline to the computer with a wire. im after getting wireless, do you have to buy the router seperate to the broadband connection, or can yu get in together? if so whats the best wireless deal around?

What kind of connection are you operating with at the moment? Dial-up, DSL (Broadband through your phoneline) or Cable broadband?

If you want a wireless network, you'll need a wireless router connected to your Cable modem or DSL splitter, and a wireless NIC (network interface card) for your PC. However if you're like me and want a hardwired PC with a roaming wireless laptop as well, I've gone for the splitter connected to my wireless router, which in turn is hardwired to my PC with an ethernet cable. My laptop is wireless so I've still got flexibility with that even though my PC's position is dictated by the position of the splitter.

What kind of connection are you operating with at the moment? Dial-up, DSL (Broadband through your phoneline) or Cable broadband?

If you want a wireless network, you'll need a wireless router connected to your Cable modem or DSL splitter, and a wireless NIC (network interface card) for your PC. However if you're like me and want a hardwired PC with a roaming wireless laptop as well, I've gone for the splitter connected to my wireless router, which in turn is hardwired to my PC with an ethernet cable. My laptop is wireless so I've still got flexibility with that even though my PC's position is dictated by the position of the splitter.

Wha? ...call me thick as a brick...

im on a dsl, through orange. is it just a case of plugging my modem into the router instead of my laptop?