Chelt Game

Guest sheridans_world

Like you say Ross you have a choice and if you don't like what is posted then ignore it.

Just like you have chosen to ignore the posts by those present at Cheltenham whose views don't fit in with yours. That isn't a go at you not being there as I know you miss very few games and there was good reason.

Perhaps when you see the highlights on LaticsWorld, you will see just how immobile Crossley was. Actually, you probably won't because other than the penalty (ridiculous decision to have it retaken by the way), the team played superbly to protect him for 85 minutes. This against a team of giants playing at home - normally for Oldham, that's a recipe for disaster.

Yes Cheltenham were poor - just like Crewe and Walsall. And of course Leeds were poor too. Maybe they were poor because that is all we allowed them? Nah - we are Latics fans so that can't be right. Let's face it, Walsall's form hasn't been too shabby since we played them has it? Wins at Hartlepool; Doncaster and a drubbing of Huddersfield.

I'm not saying that we are playing well and anyone can see there are problems in certain areas. On Saturday, we created the majority of the chances and should have won. Kilkenny had an off day as did Davies to a lesser extent. There are problems and once again, it was mainly because we did not have a Centre Forward playing alongside Ricketts to pick up the many decent lay-offs that he made. Ricketts actually got to the by-line twice and on both occasions, Davies was unable to convert.

I read some crap on here on Saturday night with one poster saying Ricketts was lazy and that his head dropped. I think it was the posters first match of the Season and so it was clear to me that the guy had a pre-conceived idea because in no way could he be called for not putting effort in on Saturday. Back to the missing Centre Forward issue, Wolfy did more in 10 minutes to link up with Ricketts than Davies did in 80. Similarly McDonald when he replaced Allott.

The big thing for me though was the crazy decision to play with no Sub Keeper. It has caught up with us after 3 games and I cannot see how we have benefitted in the previous matches. Crossley's injury totally changed the game and cost us all 3 points in my opinion.

I've made these comments a few times since I got back but they seem to have passed you by - instead, you have chosen to high 5 those who agree with your views which largely have been about creating chances - something we did repeatedly on Saturday. Ironically, because I also enjoy the social side of matches, you make it sound as if me and some others are the ones with a problem!

There is a choice of Messageboards Ross. This one was set up because people were sick of certain things happening on JKL where there was absolutely no moderation whatsoever and every thread seemed to be infiltrated by opposition fans or those with an overly aggressive manner. That may suit someone like yourself who thrives on controversial argument but most of us want to discuss things about Oldham Athletic; the matches and the social side of things. That is what happens on here - and there are differences of opinion and arguments. As a moderating team, we now only step in where Members complain or where there has been a serious breach of our rules.

I use ISZ and always read it. I enjoy banter with opposition fans on occasion but if I want to talk about Latics, then I do so on here. The posters are largely the same as used JKL but without the moronic intervention from Tranmere fans; OldhamGFC; Jewell; fancydan etc.etc.

As for the social side, because of OWTB, there were at least 3 people there on Saturday who would not have been there normally. I'm sure there were more such as a few of the Bristol contingent etc. Same happens for home matches etc. If that has come about because of a bit of camaraderie on here, then I'm all for it. You don't have to read it and there are plenty of threads which purely talk about Latics and the game. Topics do sometimes take a diversion - such as people talking about Liddell on a Ricketts thread. :o

Like I say, if you don't like it, then you have a choice. Try opening your ears though and listening to opinion other than your own. You aren't always right.

There are other choices and also other points of view.

Lol, I've not said that I haven't accepted the job the defence did in protecting Crossley. They did very well at making sure he didn't have a shot to save. But that's their jobs...why is that their intentions when Crossley is injured and we have no sub keeper (never been a fan of that, not long ago it was 2 subs number 12 and 14 that you could choose!) We should be defending like that and still creating chances. Which by the sounds of it, we did actually a create a chance on Saturday that we should've scored from. But we didn't, we need more chances so we can take a percentage of goals......to not do it against 10 men is very very poor IMO.

It makes me laugh though....coz I got similar to your post there (shorter version), in a text from someone leaving the ground on Saturday. My reply was...."Am I saying this based on today? Or over 8 games and preseason?"

Even more worrying though....this hasn't been going on for 8 games and preseason though, if we're honest with ourselves! It's been going on since March....ok, the personnel has changed in some areas, but the same one-dimensional side is there. It's not working and the way we limped home at the end of last season, is fresh in the memory and now we're limping along this season without looking like making some changes. We should be creating 6, 7, 8 decent or half chances and scoring a couple of them in games. But we're not.....and regarding Leeds....we may have made them look ordinary, but for me, Kandol and Beckford being out every game would make them look ordinary. Add to that, we never tested their keeper. We ain't going to win games if we don't at least create a number of chances, which we net a percentage of.

Regarding the hi-5 stuff....to be honest, it was one of them where I was reading this thread and it just drifted away from anything about from the game (talking about Lids in a Ricketts thread is completely relevant....it's talking about the service - or lack of it - which I feel is fuelling peoples pre-conceived dislike of Ricketts.) Yeah, I'll admit, I was a bit harsh on the "whooping and back-slapping"....I'm just so f****** frustrated with the team at the moment though and the seeming unwillness to change anything about it. And many others seem to think everything is alright.....but as many enjoyed telling the Tramps....the table really does not lie!

Plenty of time left to turn it around, as I've said, we do have the ammo IMO. But not if we just bump along as we have been for too long now. Shez......plan B please!

Edited by boundaryblue80

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....ok, the personnel has changed in some areas, but the same one-dimensional side is there. It's not working and the way we limped home at the end of last season, is fresh in the memory and now we're limping along this season without looking like making some changes. We should be creating 6, 7, 8 decent or half chances and scoring a couple of them in games. But we're not.....

I'm starting to agree with this. We do seem to be making the same moves over and over. I'm happy that the team seems to have started gelling, but some slight tweaks may be necessary.

Fair enough mate.

We did create quite a bit on Saturday (several decent chances in the first half) and should have scored 3 or 4 in the last 10 minutes. Significantly, that is when Davies was replaced by Wolfy and McDonald (and I'm not his biggest fan) came on for Allott. In other words, we showed that we could suddenly create the openings (unlike the Leeds game) but couldn't put them away. A different problem but one that says to me again we need an out and out poacher alongside MR. Hughes must be licking his lips in anticipation of being given that chance. And Wolfy is certainly up for it too judging by the 10 minutes he has had with Ricketts.

For me, Taylor shouldn't be playing on the left (he got to the by-line on half a dozen occasions without any end product) and we need a foil for Ricketts - if that is to be Davies, then he needs to have instructions drummed into him as it simply is not his game. I think the main problem on Saturday (barring the Crossley incident of course) is that Kilkenny was asked to play further forward and either this didn't suit - or he just had one of those games where nothing came off for him (bar the flick for Liddell's goal).

Unfortunately, Ricketts is now out for the Hudds game (just as he is really starting to create a lot for his team mates) but hopefully, in the next game that MR is available, Hughes will be fit and Shez will make a few changes to improve the system. Add in Allesandra and Smalley and the options will be fantastic. The decision making in finding the right combination will be very tough though but I agree, changes are necessary.

Fair enough mate.

We did create quite a bit on Saturday (several decent chances in the first half) and should have scored 3 or 4 in the last 10 minutes. Significantly, that is when Davies was replaced by Wolfy and McDonald (and I'm not his biggest fan) came on for Allott. In other words, we showed that we could suddenly create the openings (unlike the Leeds game) but couldn't put them away. A different problem but one that says to me again we need an out and out poacher alongside MR. Hughes must be licking his lips in anticipation of being given that chance. And Wolfy is certainly up for it too judging by the 10 minutes he has had with Ricketts.

For me, Taylor shouldn't be playing on the left (he got to the by-line on half a dozen occasions without any end product) and we need a foil for Ricketts - if that is to be Davies, then he needs to have instructions drummed into him as it simply is not his game. I think the main problem on Saturday (barring the Crossley incident of course) is that Kilkenny was asked to play further forward and either this didn't suit - or he just had one of those games where nothing came off for him (bar the flick for Liddell's goal).

Unfortunately, Ricketts is now out for the Hudds game (just as he is really starting to create a lot for his team mates) but hopefully, in the next game that MR is available, Hughes will be fit and Shez will make a few changes to improve the system. Add in Allesandra and Smalley and the options will be fantastic. The decision making in finding the right combination will be very tough though but I agree, changes are necessary.

Agree with most of that....oh, and that about "not listening to others comments".....I even admitted that (although I want Davies upfront with better service preferably) maybe trying him on the wing should be tried. See....was listening and have come around to your way of thinking on that one :wink: But that has to mean, for me, Taylor goes to the right which means Lids gets dropped (which wrankles some.) Or, if Shez wants his brain on the pitch, then you know where I'd have him.

As for Smalley and Allesandra, I think we've got some real gems there. Was saying after pre-season that this could be the next Taylor and Eardley. Ironically though, they've now got to the real grit of what professional football is about, as they've got their critics now. Good luck Dean and Lewis! You'll need it :wink:

--------------

PS Thought you might find this interesting RE: creating chances etc. Was a Leeds fan on ISZ last week after our game...you may even have seen it, but I thought it was quite a decent observation.

"...but most of the teams we've played against in this division seem the same. On many occasions this season, I've watched as a goal scoring opportunity for the opposition beckons, but they rarely have the skill or imagination to exploit it (and Forest were as bad as anyone!)

In the Premier, we made one mistake and conceded a goal. In the Championsip, it was one goal every three or four errors. In this league, everyone looks frightened to death of even having a shot...with the honourable exception of Hartlepool."

Edited by boundaryblue80

Agree with most of that....oh, and that about "not listening to others comments".....I even admitted that (although I want Davies upfront with better service preferably) maybe trying him on the wing should be tried. See....was listening and have come around to your way of thinking on that one :wink: But that has to mean, for me, Taylor goes to the right which means Lids gets dropped (which wrankles some.) Or, if Shez wants his brain on the pitch, then you know where I'd have him.

As for Smalley and Allesandra, I think we've got some real gems there. Was saying after pre-season that this could be the next Taylor and Eardley. Ironically though, they've now got to the real grit of what professional football is about, as they've got their critics now. Good luck Dean and Lewis! You'll need it :wink:

--------------

PS Thought you might find this interesting RE: creating chances etc. Was a Leeds fan on ISZ last week after our game...you may even have seen it, but I thought it was quite a decent observation.

"...but most of the teams we've played against in this division seem the same. On many occasions this season, I've watched as a goal scoring opportunity for the opposition beckons, but they rarely have the skill or imagination to exploit it (and Forest were as bad as anyone!)

In the Premier, we made one mistake and conceded a goal. In the Championsip, it was one goal every three or four errors. In this league, everyone looks frightened to death of even having a shot...with the honourable exception of Hartlepool."

I don't think we are a million miles away in our thinking. :grin:

The p.s is right (and relates to both ends of the field) and in a way, it backs up my point that Leeds are going to walk this division particularly when they get their front pairing back together. Plus, they will have loads of cash swilling around to further improve their squad in January although hopefully, Uncle Ken will syphon it all off into some obscure off-shore Bank Account. :)

The only thing I will say though is that Leeds didn't see the best of us as an attacking side and the opinions that I read on their Site (and ISZ) in general show that they don't really watch the opposition. Their all conquering start has got them believing that they are too good for this League and it is easy to denigrate the opposition when you have won (see Walsall v Oldham; Crewe v Oldham etc. ^_^ ). It's a shame that their performances are currently proving them right but a lot of that is down to the siege mentality that Wise has instilled on top of some great tactics played out by quality personnel.

We're not...just I supposedly like an argument :wink:

So....Lids for the chop, Taylor to the right, Davies to the left wing....a compromise :grin:

I'll email Shez straight away :tongue1:

Dear Ross

That's the second email I've had today saying that. Like I told the last bloke, "Where are your medals; International Caps and UEFA Coaching Badges, Sonny"?

Love

Shez

xxx

:grin:

Taylor goes to the right which means Lids gets dropped (which wrankles some.)

Indeed it does. Taylor as been woeful and created one goal all season long. You're quite right in saying we need to be creating more opportunities so why take off Liddell and leave the eternal no end product merchant on the pitch?. As much as I like Taylors passion I really want to see him benched for a while, who to put in there instead? well whilst Smalley is out of action I don't think we have anyone to be honest. Maybe Ryan cos I doubt Davis as the discipline for ninety minutes on the wing.

IC, you say we made plenty of chances on Saturday. We'll we made two good snap chances for Wolfy whilst launching the ball into the box near the death and a good opening when the ball fell for Mcdonald which he should have done a lot better with again, at the death. I'll be fair happier when we are making clear cut chances through our good football opening up defences or at least getting me on the edge of my seat in anticipation of doing so. The fayre is mediocre to say the least and to suggest otherwise is untrue. Something just isn't right with this side, it doesn't purr. It's splutters along like an aging diesel bus. I am not the guy to put my finger squarely on why that is and we have a few at the club paid more than me and acclaimed more knowledgable to do that job. I'll I can say is what I see. I'll tell you this am a little worried if Shez can only say I tell the players and I'll keep on telling them to care for the ball, cos obviously the message isn't getting there!

I'll say now I think we have the enough calibre in the players to be doing better, but wasn't Forest once to good a side to go down....and that was from the prem not the championship!!!

Dear Ross

That's the second email I've had today saying that. Like I told the last bloke, "Where are your medals; International Caps and UEFA Coaching Badges, Sonny"?

Love

Shez

xxx

:grin:

Lol....wouldn't be the first time he's said that eh! Just last time, he said it to the wrong people....who'll use it very quickly on him if he doesn't work his magic :wink:

Taylor goes to the right which means Lids gets dropped (which wrankles some.)

Indeed it does. Taylor as been woeful and created one goal all season long. You're quite right in saying we need to be creating more opportunities so why take off Liddell and leave the eternal no end product merchant on the pitch?. As much as I like Taylors passion I really want to see him benched for a while, who to put in there instead? well whilst Smalley is out of action I don't think we have anyone to be honest. Maybe Ryan cos I doubt Davis as the discipline for ninety minutes on the wing.

IC, you say we made plenty of chances on Saturday. We'll we made two good snap chances for Wolfy whilst launching the ball into the box near the death and a good opening when the ball fell for Mcdonald which he should have done a lot better with again, at the death. I'll be fair happier when we are making clear cut chances through our good football opening up defences or at least getting me on the edge of my seat in anticipation of doing so. The fayre is mediocre to say the least and to suggest otherwise is untrue. Something just isn't right with this side, it doesn't purr. It's splutters along like an aging diesel bus. I am not the guy to put my finger squarely on why that is and we have a few at the club paid more than me and acclaimed more knowledgable to do that job. I'll I can say is what I see. I'll tell you this am a little worried if Shez can only say I tell the players and I'll keep on telling them to care for the ball, cos obviously the message isn't getting there!

I'll say now I think we have the enough calibre in the players to be doing better, but wasn't Forest once to good a side to go down....and that was from the prem not the championship!!!

Agree entirely with your comments on Taylor, but for me, that's a product of playing on the LW when he's a RW. Hence why I'd be moving him over there and it would have to be for Lids, who rarely beats a man. I'd have Lids in the middle....probably from the bench, if we're stuggling to open teams up. But.........

" I'll be fair happier when we are making clear cut chances through our good football opening up defences or at least getting me on the edge of my seat in anticipation of doing so. The fayre is mediocre to say the least and to suggest otherwise is untrue. Something just isn't right with this side, it doesn't purr. It's splutters along like an aging diesel bus."

.....that's exactly how I feel. I don't even need to be on the edge of my seat (see Ron era) for that.....just to look like we can score and do score and the results come. Plan B.....bring it on Shez :wink:

You are right that most of our chances were aerial but there has of course been criticism recently that we don't get the crosses over - even from corners and freekicks.

Gregan had a couple of good headed chances at Cheltenham and Ricketts had one in the first half. There were a few other highlights such as the opening for Davies created by Ricketts (plus one Ricko fashioned for himself) and the thunderbolt from Eardley. I agree that precious little came from well crafted moves and when we did - we scored!

We definitely have problems. The thing is, it is slightly different every week. One game, we can't get the ball in the box, the next we can't create any chances and then the next, we create chances by getting the ball into the box but can't convert.

At least the defence is looking better. :)

Ironic how it is the accused wasn't the only one slagging off Ricketss I seem to remember the Champ manager correspondence being chorlted at by the very same bunch who are tearing strips off SuperTaylor.

He isn't the only one to make cheeky jibes.

Saying Ricketts would have a speed rating of 3 on champ manager is funny and accurate, not knowing which positions our players play, and constantly abusing them, including booing them no matter what... is both childish and pathetic.... there is a big difference, and that was said by you... not the infamous supertaylor

As I said to you, what you and your mate to the left was saying was funny, tongue in cheek and non offensive, being abusive and inflamatory, for well, just being abusive and inflamatory's sake is what annoyed me - if I wanted to slag off 11 men for 2 hours I wouldnt travel 200 miles and pay £20 for the privilege... I'd stay at home and watch liverpool or man yoo on sky...

I'm also stunned we managed to pick who this kid was just from his internet identity.... broken record springs to mind...

As ios always said, opinion thaty is backed up is healthy and welcomed.... spiteful bitterness is not... neither is mouthing off when you dont even know where our players play...

I never have said that Ricketts is the finished article, but in my opinion he was the second best player on the pitch on saturday behind Gregan... and at the moment he is the centre of everything positive about this team... his runs are nigh on perfect, and very rarely picked out by the midfield... people either arent seeing what he is doing, or choosing to ignore this just for the sake of getting a scapegoat to mouth off at... which is exactly what supertaylor is doing.....

My point is this, if you can justify what you say then fine... we have established supertaylor can use a computer to express an opinion, so lets get him on here... methinks he is currently a little put off by the fact people dont seem to jump on badwaggons as easily on this site... but i'd love for him to post his reasoning behind the following statements all of which you know he made on saturday, and get some debate going on here as to whether he is right or not...

- Kalala is an attacking midfielder

- Wolfy has no future in football

- Chris Taylor has lost all his talent... I believe the phrase is "he is a useless sh*tbox"

- The whole Ricketts debate... which has been touched many a time... but mainly his eloquent statements how he adds nothing to our team...

- and finally... Oldham do not deserve our support, and we all should boo them off at full time... even if they win away from home... if the performance isnt perfect...

Opinions that are backed up - what beinga fan is all about, and what this site was made for....

Edited by BigfinLatic