Bash gives himself room

And, I should perhaps have added, I have the paperwork supplied to the commitee for October's meeting (when a decision was deferred) in front of me now. It definitely contains the full local authority traffic report with the same figures and text etc that was supplied for last Wednesday. The ONLY difference between October and November's paperwork was that the former did not have the Highways Agency's report about the impact on the trunk roads.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Carl M

At the October meeting, many residents had the full agenda and reports with them - they had obviously requested them and received them in advance of the meeting, whereas none of the supporters had any paperwork. That was corrected at the November meeting.

I still haven't received a reply to my email to the Council's Chief Executive, so I'm submitting the following comment to the Advertiser, in response to Carl's article:

In October I contacted the Council to enquire whether Councillor Bashforth would be Chairing the Planning Committee meeting and taking part in the discussion or voting.

I was informed in writing by the Council that Councillor Bashforth had sought advice on this and had been advised that there was no reason why he should not chair the meeting, as he had not given a definite view on the application, either to residents or to the applicant and he had not prejudged the application. He was quite comfortable that whilst he had listened to both parties’ concerns and aspirations, he had in no way prejudged the issue and, provided that he declared an interest in respect of the meetings that he had with residents and OAFC directors, he would be able to, and intended to, Chair the meeting.

However, on 15th November, OAFC Chief Executive Alan Hardy, on the club’s official internet site, said that Cllr Bashforth told the Applicant that there was no reason whatsoever why the application should not be approved. I would say that that is giving a definite view on the application and prejudging the issue, which changes completely his position on the need to declare an interest and not take part in the discussion or voting thereon. In the event Councillor Bashforth took a massive part in the discussion at the Planning Committee meeting, which influenced the Committee members on how to vote and, of course, he voted.

It is my opinion, arising from many years' experience of advising Councillors in various local authorities, that this makes both of the Committee's decisions on the Boundary Park applications null and void.

Also I am of the opinion that in order to legalise the matter, another meeting should be called as a matter of urgency, with both applications being heard again, without Cllr Bashforth in the Chair or taking part in the discussion or voting.

I have brought this matter to the attention of the Council’s Chief Executive.

What it perhaps shows is that our esteemed Councillors didn't start looking at the Application (let's not forget it is one worth a mere £80m) until 4pm on the day of a Planning Committee meeting which was to start at 6pm. Otherwise, the fact that the document was not attached would have been noticed sooner.

That is assuming of course that it was one of them who noticed it was missing. My view is that they probably wouldn't have noticed at all.

Clearly, this shows how unprepared these amateurs were for a massively important decision.

I still haven't received a reply to my email to the Council's Chief Executive, so I'm submitting the following comment to the Advertiser, in response to Carl's article:

In October I contacted the Council to enquire whether Councillor Bashforth would be Chairing the Planning Committee meeting and taking part in the discussion or voting.

I was informed in writing by the Council that Councillor Bashforth had sought advice on this and had been advised that there was no reason why he should not chair the meeting, as he had not given a definite view on the application, either to residents or to the applicant and he had not prejudged the application. He was quite comfortable that whilst he had listened to both parties’ concerns and aspirations, he had in no way prejudged the issue and, provided that he declared an interest in respect of the meetings that he had with residents and OAFC directors, he would be able to, and intended to, Chair the meeting.

However, on 15th November, OAFC Chief Executive Alan Hardy, on the club’s official internet site, said that Cllr Bashforth told the Applicant that there was no reason whatsoever why the application should not be approved. I would say that that is giving a definite view on the application and prejudging the issue, which changes completely his position on the need to declare an interest and not take part in the discussion or voting thereon. In the event Councillor Bashforth took a massive part in the discussion at the Planning Committee meeting, which influenced the Committee members on how to vote and, of course, he voted.

It is my opinion, arising from many years' experience of advising Councillors in various local authorities, that this makes both of the Committee's decisions on the Boundary Park applications null and void.

Also I am of the opinion that in order to legalise the matter, another meeting should be called as a matter of urgency, with both applications being heard again, without Cllr Bashforth in the Chair or taking part in the discussion or voting.

I have brought this matter to the attention of the Council’s Chief Executive.

Diego - As your serious complaint has not been answered, I would ensure that this is filed with The Local Government Ombudsman as soon as possible.

How to File a Complaint