penalty decision...

Funny how peoples' memories of a game end up concentrating on one incident (all be it a crucial one).

From the Lookers I had no idea whether it was in or out of the box, but it looked a very soft decision.

But actually I thought the ref had a good game after a fussy first couple of minutes (and apart from Bertrand's booking).

How people can say we were unlucky I have no idea... turns out our goal may have been handball, and in the second half Donny hit the woodwork twice and brought two outstanding saves from Crossley.

I do tend to think those decisions even themselves out in the end, so I'm not overly fussed. But maybe that's cos I thought 1-1 was about the right result and that it had been a really great game between two good footballing teams.

Edited by garcon

Funny how peoples' memories of a game end up concentrating on one incident (all be it a crucial one).

From the Lookers I had no idea whether it was in or out of the box, but it looked a very soft decision.

But actually I thought the ref had a good game after a fussy first couple of minutes (and apart from Bertrand's booking).

How people can say we were unlucky I have no idea... turns out our goal may have been handball, and in the second half Donny hit the woodwork twice and brought two outstanding saves from Crossley.

I do tend to think those decisions even themselves out in the end, so I'm not overly fussed. But maybe that's cos I thought 1-1 was about the right result and that it had been a really great game between two good footballing teams.

At last some sanity. Whilst I would like to point out Crossley is there to make saves so his two fine ones in the second half of the match are part of the game, I would like to say that the penalty decision should have been totally immaterial. The score at that point should have been Latics 5 Doncaster 2, Come to think of it, the woodwork is part of the game and Doncaster were at fault for not being more accurate.. so 5-0 should have been the score at the time of the penalty decision.

On the other hand Sullivans goal seemed to have a charmed life. Shots blocked by people who had no idea where the ball was. Oooohhh welllll

There is no doubt we were very unlucky!!!

The linesman did NOT put his flag across his chest, he was indicating it was a free kick. It all got a little heated by all accounts aftre the game to the point where the linesman actually walked off in a huff after a disagreement with the ref about the decision. :o

But its all swings and roundabouts i suppose, our goal was handball by Hughsey, and he was offside as well.

Another day, another point :mad:

I dont know about unlucky (well outside of their penalty) we missed shed loads of chances, Hughes the main culpirt, but aided in the missed chances stakes by Davies, Taylor and McDonald - we shud have buried Donny so that :censored: decision wouldnt have mattered.

The linesman did NOT put his flag across his chest, he was indicating it was a free kick. It all got a little heated by all accounts aftre the game to the point where the linesman actually walked off in a huff after a disagreement with the ref about the decision. :o

But its all swings and roundabouts i suppose, our goal was handball by Hughsey, and he was offside as well.

Another day, another point :mad:

I sit in the NSM upper in the last block near the Rocky so could see everything that was going on without having to change my line of sight. I always check out the lino in such circumstances to see what he was doing and saw that he gave what seemed to be a free kick. He took 3-4 seconds before he put his flag across his chest after the ref had given the pen. He definitely did put his flag across this chest, though not straight away.

I sit in the NSM upper in the last block near the Rocky so could see everything that was going on without having to change my line of sight. I always check out the lino in such circumstances to see what he was doing and saw that he gave what seemed to be a free kick. He took 3-4 seconds before he put his flag across his chest after the ref had given the pen. He definitely did put his flag across this chest, though not straight away.

Agreed JLF - the liner DEFINITELY put his flag across his chest but it was a delayed reaction.